The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous - Page 17 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oh God it burns!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-30, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #241
TheRealStinky
PSU VIP

Re: The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous

Just wanted to say that this was one of the best threads I have read in a while; very charged and great points made on both sides.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #242
noodz
Private

Agreed with OP!

It's mind boggling they take things out that no body even complained about in PS1.

High TTK was fun ! groups on groups blasting away at each other you got a bit of action time. Now it will be either you getting insta gibbed or everyone around you instagibbing the enemy leaving you nothing to shoot.

Last edited by noodz; 2012-04-04 at 02:31 AM.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #243
Felkine
Private

I hope PS2 doesn't turn out to be FPS where you go running and gunning everything around you that moves with no sense for tactics and teamplay like CoD and BF. Please, the market is stuffed with games like that. Give us something new, give us a game where you can actually achieve something.

I agree with OP.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #244
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by noodz View Post
Agreed with OP!

It's mind boggling they take things out that no body even complained about in PS1.

High TTK was fun ! groups on groups blasting away at each other you got a bit of action time. Now it will be either you getting insta gibbed or everyone around you instagibbing the enemy leaving you nothing to shoot.
High TTK was awesome because it led to actual firefights, something a calm and collected player could think through and devise off-the-cuff tactics in. Low TTK is just run and gun at low engagement ranges.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #245
SkitzoSniper
Private

Originally Posted by dsi View Post
High TTK was awesome because it led to actual firefights, something a calm and collected player could think through and devise off-the-cuff tactics in. Low TTK is just run and gun at low engagement ranges.
Well see that is something that can be changed in the beta. TTK's don't need to be as high as the were in PS1, but they shouldn't be too low either. They said that they want the pace to be faster, which is fine. But if they speed it up too much, then it will ruin the game. But this is what the beta is for.

That and having tank drivers be the main gunners is something that bothers me alot.

Old 2012-04-04, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #246
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SkitzoSniper View Post
Well see that is something that can be changed in the beta. TTK's don't need to be as high as the were in PS1, but they shouldn't be too low either. They said that they want the pace to be faster, which is fine. But if they speed it up too much, then it will ruin the game. But this is what the beta is for.

That and having tank drivers be the main gunners is something that bothers me alot.
TTKs should definitely be a bit lower, if only due to networking improvements since PS1.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #247
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Once beta is in our lap it won't take long for us to discover the truth..
I think the fear is that once the beta is in our lap It'll be too late for any of our significant qualms to be alleviated.

I'm in agreement with the people who have pointed out that PS2 featuring 'modernised' FPS mechanics doesn't automatically imply that the game is copying Battlefield wholesale, rather that it's simply trying to be contemporary with the rest of the genre.

Having said that though, there definitely ARE elements that have been shamelessly ported in from the more recent (shitty) Battlefield titles, without any improvements, or consideration as to whether those features actually need to be in Planetside. Take 3D Q spotting for example. I don't want to spend my time shooting at magic markers sitting atop my enemies' heads. Of all the features that SOE could copy from Battlefield, why the $%^* would they copy something like 3D spotting?

My point is there are some ill-thought out (or not thought out at all) features being directly ported simply because they're in Battlefield, not because they're suited to Planetside. and I find that very disconcerting.

Rant over.

Scrap 3d spotting and spray-friendly gunplay and I'll love you for ever, PS2 devs.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #248
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post

Having said that though, there definitely ARE elements that have been shamelessly ported in from the more recent (shitty) Battlefield titles, without any improvements, or consideration as to whether those features actually need to be in Planetside. Take 3D Q spotting for example. I don't want to spend my time shooting at magic markers sitting atop my enemies' heads. Of all the features that SOE could copy from Battlefield, why the $%^* would they copy something like 3D spotting?
Wait, do we actually know that there is 3D spotting? If so, that's downright heinous! Criminal! Evil!
Old 2012-04-04, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #249
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Wait, do we actually know that there is 3D spotting? If so, that's downright heinous! Criminal! Evil!
They said the mega-doritos from GDC were placeholder, but why would there be a placeholder for nothing? ...
Old 2012-04-04, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #250
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmWyIMXJEiI#t=5m57s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrA3L...relmfu#t=3m24s

Looks like it.

EDIT: What's wrong with only having minimap spotting?

I can understand having features like these in console FPS games but those playing on a PC don't need such blatant crutches.

3D spotting should never have made its way into the PC versions of BC2 or BF3. If SOE realised that they'd certainly think twice about porting what is clearly a console handicap feature into a PC exclusive FPS like Planetside 2.

Arrggggghhh!!!

Last edited by JHendy; 2012-04-04 at 08:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion