Air/Ground Vehicle Strategy Guides - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All Planetside. All the Time. Except for the Political Debate Forum.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-11-22, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Koopa
Private
 
Koopa's Avatar
 
Air/Ground Vehicle Strategy Guides


Hey. Koopa here, with various strategy guides for different vehicles. I've been a pilot since basically the start. I've been on all three empires, so I know what I'm talking about. Let's start out with the Mosquito.

Name: Mosquito
Common Pool
Role: Light Attack and Recon
Type: Air
Weapons: 12mm Machine Gun
Speed: Very fast

The Mosquito is probably the most balanced aircraft of them all. Having decent firepower, decent speed (the fastest of all the air vehicles now, anyway) and the special advantage of not being able to be seen on radar makes it an excellent choice to spend three cert points. However, it lacks in armor.

The Mosquito fairs pretty well in dogfights with other aircraft. It's agility and 12mm can rip a Reaver apart in a dogfight, if you're a good pilot. Air-to-ground combat isn't it's specialty, but can help. Plus, the accuracy of the Mosquito is great.

Mastering the Mosquito takes a lot of time, but once you do, it's deadly. Here are some strategies:

1. Don't Stand Still
This almost appeals to all air vehicles...you don't want to be standing still. You'll get stomped on by Deciminators, shoulder-mounted AV weapons, turrets, and other vehicles. Try to keep on the move as much as possible.

2. Attack from the Side
This attains to only ground vehicles. Try to attack not the front or behind of the vehicle, but the side. That way, if the vehicle has a gunner, it'll take longer for him to notice where you are. And, for a lot of vehicles, it's the biggest part, and you'll probably nail the most hits on it.

3. Pick on Someone your Own Size
Don't attack what you know can own you. Don't go attacking a Liberator (unless it's really damaged), because it has a lot of armor and you only have a 12mm, and a tailgunner might get you. Going after a Gal is a sheer waste of your time. You can attack tanks, but try to keep distance so they don't get you, especially Magriders.

4. Dropping
This works best for Infiltrators, but, you can drop from your Mosquito by pressing Alt and G. A good situation to do this is when a big tower battle is happening, fly over the tower and drop in and try to have the Control Console. Plus, you might want to drop when you're Mosquito is taking a lot of damage and you know you can't survive.

5. Repairs
Chances are you'll get damaged when you're riding in a Mosquito on a big battle. It's good to stick to a hit-and-run strategy. Attack, take maybe 3/4 of damage, then go back to either a friendly base or an air tower for repairs. If you don't know, the air pads now repair your air vehicles, so you can use them. If you have engineering, find a flat place to land, away from the battle, repair it, and head back in.

There's my first one. Feel free to post yours in this topic too.

Last edited by Koopa; 2003-11-22 at 06:34 PM.
Koopa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Otis
Master Sergeant
 


Originally Posted by Koopa
3. Pick on Someone your Own Size
Don't attack what you know can own you. Don't go attacking a Liberator (unless it's really damaged), because it has a lot of armor and you only have a 12mm, and a tailgunner might get you. Going after a Gal is a sheer waste of your time. You can attack tanks, but try to keep distance so they don't get you, especially Magriders.
I disagree with this one, slightly. When I come upon a Lib I approach it firing at top speed. If I notice there is no tail gunner I'll slow down to tail it for the kill. It doesn't take that long to kill a full health Lib with a Skeeter chain gun. I have also taken down Gals, with the same approach. Tanks, well, I take them on all the time but I only do it in runs. Fly down firing, then use afterburners to get away. I do that a few times and repair if I have to. I don't always kill the tank but it sure leaves it in a world of hurt, and while he's firing at me (which they often do) it leaves the AV troops time to get some shots off.
__________________
"That kid's got problems" - 10 year recruiter for the NAVY
Otis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General
 


Nice work , ill these will definatley be part of the Mosq Strat Guide
Biohazzard56 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Firefly
Contributor
Major General
 
Firefly's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Koopa
3. Pick on Someone your Own Size
Don't attack what you know can own you. Don't go attacking a Liberator (unless it's really damaged), because it has a lot of armor and you only have a 12mm, and a tailgunner might get you. Going after a Gal is a sheer waste of your time. You can attack tanks, but try to keep distance so they don't get you, especially Magriders.
When I fly in aircraft, I maintain maximum altitude. When I was a Reaver pilot, I would attack air targets at max altitude from behind-and-above a target. This kept me out of their weapons' fields of fire. I also would unload Reaver rockets at point-blank range of a Galaxy's ass if there was no tail gunner or he was at max altitude. But if I had the slightest angle of fire (meaning above and behind) I would lead the target so I could dump all my rounds into the broadside of the dorsal area. If the ship looked like it was about to drop cargo or bail, I would fly over it and bail out- the resulting damage was usually enough to blow the Galaxy to microscopic nanites.

When I was a Mosquito pilot, pretty much the same thing- except I limited Mosquito attacks to Reavers and Galaxies if I was alone, since I feel the Mosquito is air-superiority or recon and Reaver is ground-assault.

And when I was a Galaxy pilot, I immediately afterburned to max altitude and never let any passengers on until the gun positions were filled. The only time I was at ground level was if I wanted to scare the shit out of passengers with nap-of-the-earth, or coming in for a landing at a safe/secure location.

Of course then there was the time this Mosquito tried to drive behind my AMS and pump fire into it. I stopped the vehicle, got out, and dumped three Striker (pre-nerf) rounds into his nose and sent the following taunt:

"And they said AMS's had no defenses".

He put me on ignore.
__________________
Firefly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Koopa
Private
 
Koopa's Avatar
 


My next one. This one is for heavy tanks. All three.

Vanguard
New Conglomerate
Role: Attack, Escort
Weapons: 150mm cannon, 20mm machine gun
Occupants: 2 (Driver, Gunner)
Speed: Medium

The Vanguard is the New Conglomerate's version of the heavy tank. With average armor, massive firepower and a low profile, the Vanguard is a picture-perfect tank. It fits the idea of most New Conglomerate weapons and vehicles - slow refire rate but very powerful.

The 150mm is a menace. It's the most powerful cannon, weapon for that matter, out there. However, it's refire rate is slow, about half as fast as the Prowler. However, each hit is a menace. One hit for infantry and MAXes and ATV vehicles. It fairs against other ground vehicles just fine. Plus, the projectiles are pretty long-ranged. The splash damage of the 150mm is pretty big, so it's dangerous to use it on a target right by the tank, because the Vanguard might take serious damage.

The Vanguard also has an alternate 20mm gun for close-by targets. This gun is much better on infantry just right by your tank, because you don't want to damage the tank with the 150mm. Also, the 20mm is better on aircraft than the 150mm due to the arc of the 150mm.
__________________________________________

Prowler
Terran Republic
Role: Attack, Escort
Occupants: 3 (Driver, two gunners)
Weapons: 100mm cannon, 12mm
Speed: Slow

The Prowler is the TR's main tank. It carries a 100mm cannon along with an extra gunner seat which mans the 12mm machine gun. Like most TR weapons and vehicles, it has the "kill them before they can kill you" philosophy. The Prowler is the biggest battle tank in PlanetSide, so it can be a big target.

The 100mm is the fastest cannon out there. It is about twice as fast as the Vanguard, but about half as weak as the Vanguard. It takes two to take out infantry, about two to take out MAXes, and fairs well against other ground vehicles.

Unlike the Magrider and the Vanguard, the Prowler has an extra gunner seat who mans the 12mm. It's not nearly as effective as the 100mm, but it doesn't hurt. It's a good idea for the 100mm to take out ground targets and the 12mm to damage air targets.

The main drawback of this tank is it's driving speed and size. It's decently big, and it goes a maximum speed of 46kph. However, with the decent firepower it has, it manages to defend itself.
__________________________________________________ __

Magrider
Vanu Sovereignty
Role: Attack, Escort
Occupants: 2 (Driver, gunner)
Weapon: Heavy Rail Beam, Pulsed Particle Accelerator
Speed: Good

The Magrider is the Vanu Sovereignty's battle tank. It's the fastest of them all, and is based on energy weapons. Plus, it's the only tank that the driver has a gun too, and it's not too bad. The Magrider is also claimed as the "Magmower", due to it's great ability to strafe sideways and run people over.

The Pulsed Particle Accelerator is a medium-quality gun. I has a fast refire rate, about as fast as a Pulsar, and it's stronger. It's not that great for infantry since it can't bend down very far, but it's good against air and ground vehicles, but mostly, the Heavy Rail Beam will be taking care of that.

The Heavy Rail Beam is a great gun. With a fast ROF, and deadly power, it makes everyone tremble at it's name. Unlike the other tank guns, the HRB fires straight, instead of an arc. Thus, it's better for aircraft. It takes one direct hit to take out infantry, two if they are a little off. The splash damage is a lot smaller than the other tanks, however. It does great against other vehicles as well. With the combination of the Pulsed Particle Accelerator and the Heavy Rail Beam, it makes the Magrider a deadly vehicle.
__________________________________________________ _

Tips for the Heavy Tank:

1. Fight in the Plains, not the Forests
I can't stress enough how horribly a tank does if you fight with a lot of trees, rocks or mountains around. Since the tanks are pretty slow, you won't go up mountains very well. If there are trees around, not only will you move like shit, but you take damage from driving into trees.

2. Fear the Reaver
The Reaver is your worst enemy. No matter what, if you're in a Mag, Prowler or Vanguard, a Reaver will damage you a lot. If it's a good pilot, you're basically gone, but if you're a good gunner, you have a chance. The rockets from a Reaver will do a lot on you. In a Prowler or Vanguard, have the 20mm or 12mm handle the Reaver, not the 150/100mm (but let them try). The Heavy Rail Beam is great for Reavers, though. Mainly, if you see a Reaver, don't encounter it. Try to run. If you can't, you have no choice.

3. Run People Over
If you see an enemy soldier, just there, and there are no major enemies around that'll crush you, go run him over. One kill for you. Running people over stacks up a lot of kills, especially in a Magrider. Don't just run people over all the time, though. If many friendlies are battling many enemies in one compact area, don't even try. You'll just kill all you're friendlies.

4. Stay on the Move
The main reason of this tip is because of Deciminators. Since you're pretty slow in a tank, a decim user can damage you pretty badly, and you might not be able to see him if he's sniping with it. However, the Deciminator rockets are dumbfire, so if you're moving, they won't hit you (unless they have really good aim).

5. Never Leave Home without a Gunner
There's honestly no point in driving a tank without a gunner. No, mowing won't help, because a gunner would defend the tank from being crushed. Just try to find someone to gun for you, it doesn't take a long time, because everyone likes to gun tanks. Even though the Magrider has a driver-mounted gun, it can't turn sideways, thus you'll have to turn the whole tank around to shoot. Just keep a gunner for that too.

Last edited by Koopa; 2003-11-23 at 09:26 AM.
Koopa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info


I have to say in my experiances with gunning for the van the cannon is acctualy better to shoot down REavers with than the 20 mm's 2 hits and there down and they normaly get close becasue they think you pose little threat, i took out 5 reavers at various times a while back in abouve fasion
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Rbstr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-22, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Koopa
Private
 
Koopa's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Rbstr
I have to say in my experiances with gunning for the van the cannon is acctualy better to shoot down REavers with than the 20 mm's 2 hits and there down and they normaly get close becasue they think you pose little threat, i took out 5 reavers at various times a while back in abouve fasion
Well, yeah, but that's only if Reavers fly close behind you. Then it's easy to take them out with the cannon. But smart pilots will usually keep their distance and spam you with rockets, making it extremely hard to aim your cannon.
Koopa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Unknown
First Sergeant
 
Unknown's Avatar
 


It takes 2 or 3 direct hits to kill an infantry with the Heavy rail beam. I'm not sure, but 2 *might* take out an agile if he doesn't use med kits, but I know it takes 3 for reinforced. Now you know why we mow so much.
Unknown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
delta
First Sergeant
 
delta's Avatar
 


I think it's good but I disagree with not attacking a Liberator. I take out many Liberators in a Mosquito.
__________________

Rawr! I'm a tiger! I'm also fluffy but I have big teeth!
delta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Koopa
Private
 
Koopa's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Unknown
It takes 2 or 3 direct hits to kill an infantry with the Heavy rail beam. I'm not sure, but 2 *might* take out an agile if he doesn't use med kits, but I know it takes 3 for reinforced. Now you know why we mow so much.
Yeah, but I think they buffed the HRB in the Balance Pass. That might be what it used to take. :O
Koopa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Katanaboy
Master Sergeant
 


No, HRB still takes multiple direct hits to kill infantry. They buffed its damage vs. air and armor. Also, the prowler's cannon kills in one hit if it is direct.
Katanaboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Koopa
Private
 
Koopa's Avatar
 


Originally Posted by Katanaboy
No, HRB still takes multiple direct hits to kill infantry. They buffed its damage vs. air and armor. Also, the prowler's cannon kills in one hit if it is direct.
That's probably for agile, standard and infil (100m). I did a test on a Rexo, and when I made a direct hit, he had literally a shred of health left.

About the HRB, I'm a Vanu, and I remember a lot of times me killing people in one direct hit. Don't know why, but I did.
Koopa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-23, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Vick
Second Lieutenant
 


Vanguard takes two hits for MAXs and mosquito does indeed pwn liberators and galaxies.
__________________
look a post by vick is right above this
Vick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.