Gameplay: All Points Bulletins - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stays crunchy even in milk!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-24, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ratstomper
Major

All Points Bulletins

As was mentioned in the bounty thread (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43581) by Synapse, some folks wanted me to make a new thread with a refined "bounty" idea that dealt with killstreaks and rewards/risks for them. Heres my thought, let me know what you think.

Killstreaks: Have a set number of kills (dependent on average player killstreaks) against a particular faction in a single life that, once surmounted, puts the player in a "bounty" mode. At this point, the killstreaker will receive small cumulative bonuses (XP and maybe resources?) on each additional kill they make. Once in bounty mode, the only way to get out of bounty mode is to achieve no kills for a set amount of time (a couple mins?).

Bulletins: When someone passes the number for killing members of your faction, an all points bulletin goes out to all troops in the hex the killstreaker is in that gives the name of the killstreaker and a basic picture of what he looks like. A considerable kill bonus (XP and resources, cumulative depending on how well the offending player is doing) is awarded to the player that brings down the killstreaker.

Merits: I haven't heard much about merits or how they'll work, but assuming we'll have a similar system as in PS1.

Headhunter Bronze/Silver/Gold: collect X number of bounties on members of opposing factions.

Shock Trooper Bronze/Silver/Gold:Achieve X number of kills with a bounty on your head.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-06-24 at 12:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Toppopia
Major

Re: All Points Bulletins

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
As was mentioned in the bounty thread (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43581) by Synapse, some folks wanted me to make a new thread with a refined "bounty" idea that dealt with killstreaks and rewards/risks for them. Heres my thought, let me know what you think.

Killstreaks: Have a set number of kills (10-15?) against a particular faction in a single life that, once surmounted, puts the player in a "bounty" mode. At this point, the killstreaker will receive small cumulative bonuses (XP and maybe resources?) on each additional kill they make.

Bulletins: When someone passes the number for killing members of your faction, an all points bulletin goes out to all troops in the area that gives the name of the killstreaker and a basic picture of what he looks like. A considerable kill bonus (XP and resources, cumulative depending on how well the offending player is doing) is awarded to the player that brings down the killstreaker.

Merits: I haven't heard much about merits or how they'll work, but assuming we'll have a similar system as in PS1.

Headhunter Bronze/Silver/Gold: collect X number of bounties on members of opposing factions.

<help me think of a merit name> Bronze/Silver/Gold:Achieve X number of kills with a bounty on your head.
This sounds awesome, it will give the COD people something to work towards, instead of calling in a few million dollars worth of airstrikes, they get bonus xp
Old 2012-06-24, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

I don't like bonuses that focus on killing. It'll make it too much a TDM game.
Old 2012-06-24, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Merits are ok, but don't promote the l'art pour l'art killing with XP.
Old 2012-06-24, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Knotz
Sergeant

You lost me at the french words...

Anyway, OT, I like the idea, but I think showing people a picture of the guy wont really do much... when theres going to be upwards of 600 people on that faction, then recognising one guy in the crowd is going to be near impossible, even if you know he's wearing generic_desert_camo#43
Old 2012-06-24, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jinxsey
Corporal

Rather than rewarding killstreaks I like the idea that someone who gets one is worth increased XP when he gets shot.

Players who get very very big killstreaks say X kills, could be posted to a bounty board which you could "tag". If you kill a bounty within the vincinty of a mission objective (set by the mission system) you get a "Bounty Hunter" merit, that you can wear on your uniform, or weapon (kill markings?) and bonus resources.

So long as the focus is on integrating bounty play into mission play, I think this could add a realy interesting little meta-game.

Bouties could also be placed on players who cap multiple objectives, or set by high-level players who spend their own personal resources as a reward payout.

Hell an outfit could post bounties on players from a rival outfit.

Last edited by Jinxsey; 2012-06-24 at 06:43 AM.
Old 2012-06-24, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Rewarding killstreakers will only have one effect on the game ultimately: It will promote the worst kind of online playstyles.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
vampyro
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Rewarding killstreakers will only have one effect on the game ultimately: It will promote the worst kind of online playstyles.
^^

The reward is there already. Gaining resources plus the kill.
Old 2012-06-24, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Cuross
Master Sergeant

The idea is amusing, but I think the killstreak bounty should start after much mucher more kills than even 15 or 20 for more bonuses. We already have killstreaks and bonuses that start to accrue after three kills in one life, so everyone already has a goal to work towards as far as that goes. Depending on position and tactics, I can foresee many people getting fifteen kills rather easily, and I'm suspecting that those people will be earning great big gobs of xp after that.

A bounty system would be a fun and diversifying way to create a sense of stress, but with two thousand players on that faction, it will literally be like finding a needle in a haystack. A black and red, blue and yellow, purple and teal haystack. I honestly think it might be more trouble than it's worth for the time being, and the benefits are slim.

I also personally think that these should remain out of the statistics because people really don't need to have their ego boosted any more than it will be once the game starts
Old 2012-06-24, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
I don't like bonuses that focus on killing. It'll make it too much a TDM game.
That seems reasonable. However, the bounty idea actually makes it difficult for certain players to steamroll others, because after a certain point people are seeing you as priority over others. The bonus, in my mind, was to offset the increased difficulty of having people gunning for you. Noone should be penalized for doing well, but encouraging other players to fight and kill killstreakers seems like a good idea to me. I think it's a fair risk/reward mechanic, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Also, don't forget that the more cumulative benefits the killstreaker gets, the better the payoff would be for the soldier killing him.

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
You lost me at the french words...

Anyway, OT, I like the idea, but I think showing people a picture of the guy wont really do much... when theres going to be upwards of 600 people on that faction, then recognising one guy in the crowd is going to be near impossible, even if you know he's wearing generic_desert_camo#43
It's obvious I typed this up while tired. I'll need to revise it. I was thinking the system would provide at least the location (because it's broadcast in a local area, I think per hex would work well), the name of the player and what he looks like. It's up to everyone around to spot him out of the crowd. Nothing too easy to find, but enough info for people to be on the lookout. I think paid customization will also play a factor in this.

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
So long as the focus is on integrating bounty play into mission play, I think this could add a realy interesting little meta-game.

Bouties could also be placed on players who cap multiple objectives, or set by high-level players who spend their own personal resources as a reward payout.

Hell an outfit could post bounties on players from a rival outfit.
I wanted to keep away from any involvement from outside of the fight itself. I feel like posting bounties on people might be too easily used to grief and it's not really conducive to helping your empire take objectives, which is what they main thrust of the game should be about.

I think the local automatic bounty system could take into account captures and other offensive actions. I'm not sure how it would all work in, but it could probably be ironed out somehow.

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
The idea is amusing, but I think the killstreak bounty should start after much mucher more kills than even 15 or 20 for more bonuses. We already have killstreaks and bonuses that start to accrue after three kills in one life, so everyone already has a goal to work towards as far as that goes. Depending on position and tactics, I can foresee many people getting fifteen kills rather easily, and I'm suspecting that those people will be earning great big gobs of xp after that.

A bounty system would be a fun and diversifying way to create a sense of stress, but with two thousand players on that faction, it will literally be like finding a needle in a haystack. A black and red, blue and yellow, purple and teal haystack. I honestly think it might be more trouble than it's worth for the time being, and the benefits are slim.

I also personally think that these should remain out of the statistics because people really don't need to have their ego boosted any more than it will be once the game starts
Well, it's 2000 people on a continent. The idea is to have the system work locally (per hex?). As if someone in another faction has been causing problems and your empire broadcasts it to all troops in the area. I don't think it would be too hard to find someone in that small of an area. Besides that, it's more like a target of opportunity than something people will be really going for. Captures and objectives should be first priority.

I agree on the number of kills. I was pretty tired when I wrote this, so I just spitballed a number off the top of my head. It would have to take into consideration how well an average player does once we get some test data on it. I also didn't think about the fact that people ALREADY get killstreak bonuses. The system they have for it now would probably work fine for this idea.

I personally like the idea of merits and they should be awarded for anything that takes time and work to do. It's a facet of the game that awards players without messing up the game balance at all.

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-06-24 at 12:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-24, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by vampyro View Post
^^

The reward is there already. Gaining resources plus the kill.
This!
Old 2012-06-25, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cuross
Master Sergeant

How about instead of killstreaks opening up bounties, we have general effectiveness of a class? Say light assault is a combination of support and kills, HA is general destruction, Engie/medic support, infiltrator is disruption and kills, and MAX units general destruction again.

The server keeps track of different class-based statistics and say if one faction has a lot of medics and the medics are doing a hell of a job keeping their team alive, the other factions get a bounty bonus for killing medics for a short time. Or maybe each player gets a mission to kill X amount of medics. Say there's a lot of HA on the field and their total damage dealt or kills reaches X amount, the opposing factions get a similar thing for them. It keeps things simple, within the class roles, and makes it so you're not really looking for one person out of many, but trying to focus fire on the "combat effective" units of the opposing factions.

Not quite the same, but I think there can be merits made for this kind of mission or bounty
Old 2012-06-25, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Knotz
Sergeant

How about instead of killstreaks opening up bounties, we have general effectiveness of a class? Say light assault is a combination of support and kills, HA is general destruction, Engie/medic support, infiltrator is disruption and kills, and MAX units general destruction again.

The server keeps track of different class-based statistics and say if one faction has a lot of medics and the medics are doing a hell of a job keeping their team alive, the other factions get a bounty bonus for killing medics for a short time. Or maybe each player gets a mission to kill X amount of medics. Say there's a lot of HA on the field and their total damage dealt or kills reaches X amount, the opposing factions get a similar thing for them. It keeps things simple, within the class roles, and makes it so you're not really looking for one person out of many, but trying to focus fire on the "combat effective" units of the opposing factions.

Not quite the same, but I think there can be merits made for this kind of mission or bounty
Yes I do like this! This takes away from the lone player aspect and focus' on the faction as a whole
Old 2012-06-25, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
Yes I do like this! This takes away from the lone player aspect and focus' on the faction as a whole
+1!

4char
Old 2012-06-25, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ratstomper
Major

It will determine on what the skill discrepancies can be in the game. If you have a handful of LAs who are VERY good at what they do and are doing all the work, then killing all the bad LAs won't really help alleviate the fact. It would be a sort of sampling error, because not all players will contribute equal effectiveness, even if they have the same class.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault