A thought on the "uncapturable staging points" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will be your friend for a dollar.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-21, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

A thought on the "uncapturable staging points"

I don't recall how Matt Higby called these exactly, but on each continent there are supposed to be uncapturable bases, or staging points. Do you think he basically meant warpgates?

It would make sense, considering you could technically spawn/summon vehicles from inside a warpgate, and it's surrounded by an impenetrable shield.

There are also those concept artworks that depict something like structures around a warpgate. These could be surrounded by the warpgate's shield and serve as the uncapturable base...

What do you think?
Old 2011-07-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Re: A thought on the "uncapturable staging points"

could work, then there would just be 6(or however many conts/worlds there is) Sanctuary's though
Old 2011-07-21, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
FIREk
Captain

There will be no central empire-specific sanctuaries, only multiple ad hoc "sanctuaries" locally, on every continent.

Edit: I suppose moving the quotation marks helps clarify what I meant. In this thread I'm wondering about the exact nature of these "sanctuaries" (or rather their equivalents).

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-07-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2011-07-21, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
There will be no central empire-specific sanctuaries, only multiple "ad hoc" sanctuaries locally, on every continent.
^
Old 2011-07-21, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

If that's the case then it's going to lead to a lot of boring battles right outside of the warpgate similar to what happens when you push an empire off a cont and they refuse to give up and continue attacking from the warpgate.

BORING

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-21, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

So what are we thinking here? a warpgate with a small foothold base next to it? One thing is for sure, that foothold is going to get surrounded by a ton of CE when enemies get kicked off cont.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Desoxy
Corporal

Maybe there could be a way to shut down the foothold for a few hours (if the empire in question has enough conquered terrain left on other continents) in order to give you some form of continental lock-down..

I really wonder though if the concept of continental lock downs will be a huge issue once the complete conquering system has been revealed..
Old 2011-07-21, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Surge72
Corporal

I really doubt that the uncapturable staging points are going to be the warp gates. I would expect that they will be empire specific (meaning that each empire has one), otherwise it would be pretty lame.
Old 2011-07-21, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
I don't recall how Matt Higby called these exactly, but on each continent there are supposed to be uncapturable bases, or staging points. Do you think he basically meant warpgates?

It would make sense, considering you could technically spawn/summon vehicles from inside a warpgate, and it's surrounded by an impenetrable shield.

There are also those concept artworks that depict something like structures around a warpgate. These could be surrounded by the warpgate's shield and serve as the uncapturable base...

What do you think?
The black and white artwork that Hamma put up here shows structures, very substantial ones, centered on what looks like smaller warpgates, but bigger than the mini ones of Oshur.

Since they are uncapturable, that would mean they never change to one empire or the other, but can be used by any and all at any time?
Old 2011-07-21, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xaine
Major

I'm pretty sure the the uncapturable spawn point/base things are going to be the giant ships we've seen in some screenshots, floating around in the high atmosphere.

It doesn't really make sense that you can't capture all of the land on a cont, and i also feel it would be too easy to make ghost hacks/attacks like this.

A giant space ship, which lets you drop down into a defendable area under it would make more sense, no?
Old 2011-07-21, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

I would have to agree with the orbital platform/ship idea as well but it's hard to say what they have planned. Maybe he will elaborate..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-21, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

.....maybe a giant old VW Corrado with a "Pizza" delivery sign attached to the roof ?
Old 2011-07-21, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

As others have said it needs more elaboration. Uncapturable bases would just be sad and the airship/orbital platform sounds kinda cool. I think the key is a specific place to rally up in order to push into a specific continent. Sanctuaries were too loose, you'd load up but didn't know where to. Continent specific starting points allow you to see it's about to go down!

It has been discussed if warp gates will be the uncapturable territory so I'd like to flip the question on its side: What if warp gates could be captured?
Old 2011-07-21, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I used to hate getting gate camped, so I'm hoping their solution isn't to let you get beat back to an uncapturable base then get the shit camped out of you unless that base gives you the means to really push back out. At the same time, I also feel like it prevents you from ever feeling "victorious" by completely knocking an enemy off the continent even if just for a little bit.
Old 2011-07-21, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

No one knows. It's all speculation at this point.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion