MAX ideas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Taste the spam, it's delicious.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-04-21, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pollo Jack
Corporal

MAX ideas

I like the shield capacitor that the original NC MAX had and these two are based off of that.

VS MAX
In keeping with their uniqueness they receive a shield that absorbs damage taken by all nearby friendlies. It absorbs at full charge 5% down to 1% per hit. Every point of damage absorbed removes some of the charge as well as depleting over time. It will not protect the user but charges faster when the user takes damage that causes kinetic change in the armor, such as bullets but not plasma.

TR MAX
I liked the lock down but no mobility is a large drawback. Over drive isn't a bad idea but it doesn't look like they will implement that. If the lock down is kept I would suggest a shield activates which the user can use while shooting. This shield always charges but is only active while deployed and only charges to half while undeployed. The shield isn't as powerful as the NC shield, which could take a deci when fully charged, but does charge faster. This max will pretty much be immune to plasma while deployed even with no armor.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Semetis
Private

Thumbs up Re: MAX ideas

diggen the TR MAX idea
Old 2012-04-21, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: MAX ideas

its a good idea but how about this.

NC: shield

TR: fire steaks on the ground which locks it down but allows ROF increase.

VS: Jump jets
Old 2012-04-22, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pollo Jack
Corporal

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
TR: fire steaks on the ground which locks it down but allows ROF increase.

VS: Jump jets
They said VS would not have jumpjets for their MAX units. So we need to come up with something.

A lot of vets liked the TR lock down but disliked getting pop shots from people in cubbys and stray grenades.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Pollo Jack View Post
They said VS would not have jumpjets for their MAX units. So we need to come up with something.

A lot of vets liked the TR lock down but disliked getting pop shots from people in cubbys and stray grenades.
last i heard they hadent decided what to do with the VS. if they cant have jump jets then i hope they serve people in dance contests.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Pollo Jack
Corporal

So you have no intention of contributing to the thread at all. Okay, that's cool.
Old 2012-04-22, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I just had an amazing idea for an ability for the TR.

Alpha Strike: By locking down and charging capacitors for (5-10 seconds), this MAX fires all remaining ammo within 3 seconds, completely obliterating anything in front of them with mass firepower. Do to overheating, weapons cannot be used for (20-30 seconds), ability cannot be used again until capacitors are recharged(1-2 minutes).

It could potentially be overpowered, but I figure 5-10 seconds and a tell tale whine as the capacitors begin to charge would be enough for people to attempt to evade.

Another idea could be a redone Overdrive.

Overdrive: Locks down MAX and gives a 300% increase in rate of fire for 10 seconds. Due to overheating, weapons cannot be used for 10-15 seconds after ability is used. Cannot be again until capacitors are recharged.(30 seconds- 1 minute)

This is the kind of lockdown we needed, something that isn't permanent, but gives a very noticeable improvement.

Last edited by Geist; 2012-04-22 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2012-04-22, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
moosepoop
Captain

cloak module: sacrifices armor and one weapon slot for cloaking ability for a short time. very visible if moving

support module: sacrifices one weapon slot for ammo box/med box dropping ability

repair module: replaces one weapon slot for a repair arm

medigun: replaces one weapon for medic gun that heals/revives

ejection ability: can eject MAX suit near death as default light infantry

self repair: sacrifices one weapon arm for the ability to slowly regenerate armor

melee module: replaces one weapon arm with a chainsaw

bbq module: replace one arm with a flamer

penetration ammo (anti infantry): weapon pierces through multiple opponent, bonus dmg against vehicles

incendiary ammo (AI): weapon does damage over time

shock ammo (AI): weapon lowers enemy accuracy

cryo ammo (AI): weapon slows down enemy movement

self destruct module: ability causes small explosion when near death

sonic blaster weapon: short range, does no damage, stuns infantry

emp cannon: short range, no damage, disables vehicles

Last edited by moosepoop; 2012-04-22 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2012-04-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I think TR should get overdrive instead of lockdown honestly.

Except that when you hit overdrive, the capacitor builds up and once it hits max you drop your over drive immediately and lose the ability to fire your weapons at all until the capacitor drains to about 75%.

In short overdrive would be based on a heat gauge, since the TR suit normally manages it's heat perfectly, it doesn't build up extra heat. Hit the overdrive and it overheats within maybe 5-10 seconds of sustained fire. Overdrive could cool down while not firing, which would encourage burst fire. And if the heat gauge maxes out, the suit is programmed to shut overdrive down to prevent catastrophic failure.

As for the VS. Skies.

Would be so cool if the VS could activate hover pads on their feet and glide at a good 20-30mph speed (while retaining the ability to fire), with all the perks of a hovering vehicle. The capacitor might drain over a period of say 45-60 seconds. Possibly even combine it with autorun to up the speed to 60mph for 60 seconds, but lose the ability to fire your weapons while traveling at that speed.

The drawbacks of gliding would be what you might expect from an actual hovering vehicle. You zip along in one direction and turn to shoot something, you continue coasting in the direction you were moving in. Such a feature might require more programming time but it would add an element of skill to piloting a suit in hover mode.

I would even go so far as to say the capacitor wouldn't be needed IF hover mode gave a severe and distinct reduction to movement control. Popping in and out of hover mode would be far more effective combat then just staying in it.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-22 at 11:51 AM.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I had a brainstorming thread a while ago that produced some decent stuff for the VS MAX. (http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ght=brainstorm)

Some of these are listed in here already but:
Cloaking (Short timer, think Crysis)
Horizontal movement in bursts
Faster movement mode
Wall walking
Secondary weapon affects such as damage fields
Holographic decoy
Scout drone
Phase shift (could use that to dodge in an entirely different way)
Area affect that slows enemy fire, reducing damage and making it easier to dodge.
Extended range mode
Laser anti-missile system
Slow fall
Weapon changing in the field

I'm a fan of horizontal movement and chameleon modes, personally.
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I think TR should get overdrive instead of lockdown honestly.
Why not both? The devs said that special abilities would take the form of a switchable module, so there can be more than one per side.

I would even go so far as to say the capacitor wouldn't be needed IF hover mode gave a severe and distinct reduction to movement control. Popping in and out of hover mode would be far more effective combat then just staying in it.
Okay the way you're describing this makes it sound pretty awesome. I'm loving a that a group of MAXes could just autorun/hovermode to get across a lake too.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Purple
Sergeant Major

As for the VS. Skies.

Would be so cool if the VS could activate hover pads on their feet and glide at a good 20-30mph speed (while retaining the ability to fire), with all the perks of a hovering vehicle. The capacitor might drain over a period of say 45-60 seconds. Possibly even combine it with autorun to up the speed to 60mph for 60 seconds, but lose the ability to fire your weapons while traveling at that speed.

The drawbacks of gliding would be what you might expect from an actual hovering vehicle. You zip along in one direction and turn to shoot something, you continue coasting in the direction you were moving in. Such a feature might require more programming time but it would add an element of skill to piloting a suit in hover mode.

in PS1 max had a run feature which allowed them to move qucikly from one place to another. i have no idea if run mode will be in PS@ but hover would be a cool run for the VS.
Old 2012-04-22, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'd love if the hovermode VS MAXes had jetpacks as well, which only provided horizontal thrust to propel them while skiing, not vertical thrust. No jumping up high. It would just be cool to keep the theme of VS MAXes having thrusters on them in some form or another.

Some ideas for MAX abilities:

NC:
Force shield - drains extremely quickly so is best used for a split second at a time. Blocks or deflects all incoming damage, but requires exceptional timing due to how short a time you can use it. Deflects incoming missiles and grenades and pushes back/hurts any infantry standing too close.

Charged Shot - Uses magnetism to shoot a single shot with much more devastating damage than usual. Also requires good timing, because it takes several seconds to fully charge, and then must be fired within a limited amount of time or else it will overheat and prevent the max from firing even standard shots for a few seconds.

TR:
Last Resort - The TR MAX ejects and detonates half of it's remaining munitions and detonates them, causing a massive explosion in a large radius around them, removing up to half of their own maximum health in the process.

Joint Strike - The MAX is outfitted with an advanced targeting system which, while active, allows the MAXes rapid fire weapons to specifically track where it has shot an enemy unit and communicate this tactical information to other TR units in the immediate area, giving them a bonus to how much damage they deal to the targeted enemy for several seconds after they were shot by the Joint Strike MAX.

VS:
Phase Shift - The MAX teleports 20 feet in whichever direction it was traveling when it actives the ability, through any soldiers or impermanent obstacles. Walls bring it to a dead stop. There is a slight delay when entering and exiting the shift during which the MAX glows and is unable to fire.

Damage Absorption - While active, all incoming damage is used to boost the power of the MAXes shots for a limited time. The damage it receives is still full, but a large percentage of any damage it takes can be dealt back to those it fires at.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
cryosin
Master Sergeant

I think MAX's should be customizable.

It may be too much, but here's my idea:
You pick your weapon(AA/AI/AV).
You pick your armor(Medium/Heavy/Extra Heavy). The more armor you wear, the heavier you become and the slower you walk.
You pick your abilities, based on weight.
So:
If you are a lighter MAX, you can have a Jump jet, shield, or plank boots.
If you are a medium/heavy MAX, you can't have a jump jet but you can have a shield or plank boots.
And if you are a fatty MAX, you can only have plank boots.

If plank boots make a return, i suggest they give you added armor and reduce the time it takes to plant your MAX.

I also think there should be multiple weapons of each type for a MAX. I think two to three for each type(AA/AI/AV) and each faction would work. Maybe one commonpool and two faction specific.

So, for example:
VS MAX would have these choices for its weapons:
AI:
1)Pulsar type weapon: Lighter and adds less weight. Slower TTK and short range(similar to current VS max).
2) Fast firing Lasher type weapon: Extremely powerful and potent indoors, but very heavy and adds a lot of weight. Puts it on par with the current NC MAX but no longer has access to jump jets due to weight.
3) Some common pool machine gun/shotgun type weapon: Medium weight, medium damage etc.
AV:
1) Lancer type weapon: Light.
2) Decimator type weapon: Heavy

AA:
1) Same style as current weapon. Medium weight(puts MAX out of jump jets range).

Those are just ideas, but thats what i mean by customization.

Last edited by cryosin; 2012-04-23 at 09:06 PM.
Old 2012-04-24, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vectorian
Private

Some of these ideas I got from other people but tried to balance with other factions. Each MAX has a main ability and a Long Cooldown special.

VS:

Skiing ability - to quickly jet to the left, right, forward, and backward as well as shoot at the same time has a bar that replenishes over time.

Coalescent Shot - Long cooldown High Damage similar to samus' shot from metroid lol, They charge up their gun for about 3-5 seconds and slows them down a bit while charging. Has a large plasma explosion when it impacts the target for high damage.

NC:

Shield - Keep their shield they have now has a bar that replenishes over time.

Sonic Punch - Long cooldown Blasts enemies in front of them outward does Medium damage maybe enemies can take fall damage as well added onto original damage lol.

TR:

Overdrive - Guns fire much faster their overdrive has a bar that will replenish over time.

Artillery Strike - Long Cooldown they hunker down and cant move while doing this and shoot rapid cluster bombs into the targeted location and it rains down shells that explode in the air and split into many bomblets good for taking out fortified positions.

Last edited by Vectorian; 2012-04-24 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-04-24, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Why not both? The devs said that special abilities would take the form of a switchable module, so there can be more than one per side.

Okay the way you're describing this makes it sound pretty awesome. I'm loving a that a group of MAXes could just autorun/hovermode to get across a lake too.

Why not both? Good question. Personally I kinda liked the lockdown, however having both is somewhat pointless since overdrive was essentially lockdown but with a capacitor rather then a tremendous weakness (inability to move). In other words, the two concepts are mutually exclusive IMO.

I'd add that I think a time limit should be in place when it comes to water. Reason being that it would make VS MAX suits incredibly OP if they were the only infantry capable of naval combat (added in with Magriders). And realistically, if you compare the thrust spread of a VS suit's feet to a Magrider, the Magrider has a lot more dispersion so it could conceivably hover over water for long periods of time while a MAX suit would have serious balance issues with a constantly shifting surface to hover off of.

Originally Posted by cryosin View Post
I think MAX's should be customizable.

It may be too much, but here's my idea:
You pick your weapon(AA/AI/AV).
You pick your armor(Medium/Heavy/Extra Heavy). The more armor you wear, the heavier you become and the slower you walk.
You pick your abilities, based on weight.
So:
If you are a lighter MAX, you can have a Jump jet, shield, or plank boots.
If you are a medium/heavy MAX, you can't have a jump jet but you can have a shield or plank boots.
And if you are a fatty MAX, you can only have plank boots.

If plank boots make a return, i suggest they give you added armor and reduce the time it takes to plant your MAX.

I also think there should be multiple weapons of each type for a MAX. I think two to three for each type(AA/AI/AV) and each faction would work. Maybe one commonpool and two faction specific.

So, for example:
VS MAX would have these choices for its weapons:
AI:
1)Pulsar type weapon: Lighter and adds less weight. Slower TTK and short range(similar to current VS max).
2) Fast firing Lasher type weapon: Extremely powerful and potent indoors, but very heavy and adds a lot of weight. Puts it on par with the current NC MAX but no longer has access to jump jets due to weight.
3) Some common pool machine gun/shotgun type weapon: Medium weight, medium damage etc.
AV:
1) Lancer type weapon: Light.
2) Decimator type weapon: Heavy

AA:
1) Same style as current weapon. Medium weight(puts MAX out of jump jets range).

Those are just ideas, but thats what i mean by customization.
I don't think this would fly well. Leery about the whole weight thing, it's a nice idea but it over complicates what really should be a simple design.

Things I'd change are 1 ES and 1 common pool design for each weapon type and empire. No "light, medium, heavy" options, just one MAX suit. And have a modable special as well as a couple of common ability that ALL MAX suits can use (the common abilities aren't changeable).

Common abilities would be autorun, and shields. ES abilities should affect either maneuverability, firepower, or supportive defense. One of each for each empire would be great.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-24 at 05:12 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault