Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's craptacular.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-06-29, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
JHendy
First Sergeant

Re: Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
All it's done is reminded me why I quit so many years ago. Bring on PS2 because the big piece of shit known as PS1 needs to be put down.

Remember it for what it was, not what it is.
Oh fuck off...
Old 2012-06-29, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
Oh fuck off...
u mad?
Old 2012-06-29, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

I was discerning enough to not bother installing.

I feel like you all are attending a big funeral. These are your eulogies. I'm totally guessing but PS1 to be put down when PS2 goes live.
Old 2012-06-29, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Can someone link me to a guide of planetside abbreviations? I have no idea what the heck BFR is.
Old 2012-06-29, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I was discerning enough to not bother installing.

I feel like you all are attending a big funeral. These are your eulogies. I'm totally guessing but PS1 to be put down when PS2 goes live.
Yeah... to make matters worse it's a funeral that I simply can't even be assed to bomb!
Old 2012-06-29, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
RageMasterUK
Corporal

Gunner BFRs are fairly balanced these days, but the Flight BFRs are still insanely good. The only reason people think they are bad is because pilots are pretty much all terrible players. I'm only an OK player but I can go 30/1 K/D piloting a Flight BFR (and this includes eating MBTs for breakfast) without breaking a sweat. Bad players never believe me, and yet I've done it more times than I can count.
AGREE ^

I believe you mate I play TR Invader whenever I roll armor, and its by far the most powerful single-man vehicle. You can even pull it without Tech plant!!! My best ratio is 100-0 when I went all out to get my MAX buster Platium award (10 Max kills without respawning). Took about 5 hours. Kills were mostly MAX's on hills and aircraft. I swapped out from my damaged BFR twice.

Alot of people just dont know how to use BFR's effectively. Gotta use your crouch mode to conserve your shields and not jump unless you really really need to (drains shield and turns it off while midair). And have damn good aim and tracking skills. AI make good AA and AV weapon if you can land your hits.

There are some good infantry out there who solo me sometimes with the jammer deci combo, but very very rarely and only when they get the drop on me. If I am aware of them closing the distance they have no chance; between me jumping away, or firing my jammed AI chainguns at half rate at them, it still kills them.

Someone mentioned about the bullets penetrating the shields, alot of players don't even fire their medium assault when they see a BFR. They should do, Its a major major drag for me when my AI chaingun gets half-ROF or 10% projectile range, it sends me right back for repairs. You can damage a system if you're lucky with a single shot from a bolt-driver. HSR works good too.

Last night I killed 2 Galaxy Gunships using AI Chainguns (and did the majority damage on them too - not just the kill-blow). My favourite thing to do is to jump at them and try and collide with them, its massive damage, it messes with the Gunner's aiming and a GG never expects anyone to get super aggressive against it! Vehicles also take massive damage when you sprint at them and start kicking them, while shooting them. This also knocks their vehicle about; gives the gunner a hard time aiming when their vehicle is rocking side to side, and on occasion you can kick them into water (yay!) or into some trees where they cant maneuver. On the odd occasion I've gotten some vehicles to flip over entirely, and kicking fury's or basilisks about is like playing footbalL!!!! Its so funny. Even managed to turn a few friendly vehicles over when the drivers dropped off the cliff on esamir once.

I mostly play right next to the other frontline TR forces so I can retreat easy, and I soak up ALOT OF FIRE onto my shields from enemies. Even when I'm not actually getting kills, I can GUARANTEE you that if you see my INVADER on the front line, its me who's dishing out the most damage and absorbing the most fire (for one soldier). If Planetside tracked kill assists I would have a rediculous amount of those, since I often just try and put damage on everyhing enemy that I see. More than 75% of the targets I fire at escape me with low health especially vehicles. I dont mind shooting at things even if Im unlikely to get the kill..... FOR THE EMPIRE!!!!

For defence you can sit next to the veh repair/rearm terminal and hotswap out your weapons instantly based on target. You dont even have to reload. Reavers square up to you and your AI chainguns turn into AA weapons instantly and the sky starts burning around them. You can jump to get a better line on escaping air and vehicluar targets too. Its sublime

You can jump ontop of bases and get a firing line through doors no other vehicles can reach. Perch ontop of trees while recharging your shields. Instantly climb mountains. Has a pretty impressive top speed. Its just a massive power trip!!!! I can see why some Planetsiders hated the BFRs. They couldnt beat em, and they wouldn't join them!

If every TR had Invader we would never need Oshur or another Techplant ever again. I haD dreams of a 30 man Invader platoon, but never managed to find that many Invader buddies

-RageMasterUK

Last edited by RageMasterUK; 2012-06-29 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
Yeah... to make matters worse it's a funeral that I simply can't even be assed to bomb!
LOL.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Hey?! What is BFR?
Old 2012-06-29, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
oosik
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Hey?! What is BFR?
Battle Frame Robotics

big mechanized units, some one man, some two man.
Old 2012-06-29, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Taru
Corporal

The problem with Raiders is that it requires teamwork. Iknorite? If every gun is firing at a different target then that raider is absolutely useless. Get them all firing on the same target and that TTK goes WAY down.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
DerFurst
Corporal

Misc Info

BFR = Big F*cking Robot

PS2 is going to make some significant changes to both infantry and air vehicle combat, which is really good.

1) Infantry battles in PS1 were awful. With the new netcode in place for the event, it's even worse than before. Players will disappear from screen, warp, look like they're shooting you looking backwards, and shoot you before they get out of cover. TR with their MCGs get a definite advantage over VS and NC who actually have to consider where they're shooting. Understandably, gunplay was bad to accomodate large amounts of people. Because technology has advanced, this shouldn't be a problem anymore. In PS2, gunplay will be like most other AAA shooters, most notably BF3. Infantry will be able to kill other infantry from longer distances, kill faster depending on locational aiming, and will more precisely be able to set up positions. This time around, much more skill will be involved. Some people don't like the modernized mechanics, but I love every bit of it.

1.1)Base battles were even worse for infantry. Base assault consisted of sardine packed troops zerging into the respawn room to blow up the respawn tubes and kill PJs. Base defense consisted of guarding narrow passageways and shooting explosives at doors in hopes someone would run in to die. Now that bases are bigger and more diverse, the zerg coming in won't be so bottlenecked, and bases will be much more memorable. Because of this, different tactics for taking or defending will be available for bases, allowing more diversity to the game.

2)Air vehicles will handle much more realistically in PS2. In PS1, air vehicles were more or less jerky flying cameras that ignore gravity. PS2 gives aircraft both cockpits, and an adherence to Newton's 3 laws. Inertia will make turning on a dime feel more fluid, much like drift racing. This fact alone caused many people to crash into the cactus during E3. Watch closely the "Massive Air Combat" trailer for what I mean by drifting.

Last edited by DerFurst; 2012-06-29 at 11:16 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by DerFurst View Post
TR with their MCGs get a definite advantage over VS and NC who actually have to consider where they're shooting.
You understand what bollox that is right?

The mcg user still needs to land the shots, so they still need to track the target, infact since the TR use lots of low power rounds they're the ones that need to track the target more than any other empire.
To kill at full speed the mcg needs to have the crosshairs on the target all the time, the JH only needs crosshairs on target 3 times in a couple of seconds
Old 2012-06-29, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide 1 has its faults - I'm not playing because it was the best game of all time I'm playing for the nostalgia of it and enjoying playing with the community.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-06-29, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
bjorntju1
Captain

Thumbs down Re: Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days

Dammit...

3 PM PT – Lone Wolf Tourney With Tigersmith. Details to come!
4 PM PT – Massive Dogfight over the Auraxis ocean. Coordinates will be called out before the fight begins but who will remain?
6PM PT – ANT Demolition Derby. Drive your fastest and ram your enemy into pieces!

Sunday July 1st

2 PM PT – Empire War – PlanetSide TV will cover 2 hours of non-stop combat all over Auraxis!
5 PM PT – PlanetSide Day Parade – March in this formal parade as long as you can. There will be surprises!
http://www.planetside2.com/news/planetside-day-2012

All those times are all at night (apart from the Empire War) here in Holland. I'd love to come to the PS Day Parade but that is at 2'oclock at night here and I have to work the next day. I hope those ''surprises'' doesn't mean first beta access haha.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-29 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Haro
Master Sergeant

Yeah, Planetside was pretty interesting for me last night, on a new server (very sad they closed Emerald, never heard about that) and after... 5 years of being away more or less.

1. Infantry combat... oh man. I decided to load out mostly infantry gear (rexo, MA, HA, AV) because it was a role I never really got to do all that much in the original as a pilot (I was pretty bad back then, but I consider myself a well-above average shooter now.) Yeah, big mistake, that's changing tonight.

I can't even really judge the mechanics themselves just because everything is so buggy, laggy and all around insane. I had a very hard time using the jackhammer, just didn't seem to want to hit anyone even at close range. Had better luck just spamming gauss fire or sniping with the HSR. Explosions and tracers weren't showing up very well, explosion spam was insane, and I felt like it took me forever to kill someone, but I could die in seconds. Needless to say, my KDR was pretty terrible.

Also, tangential rant, I think I'll be glad to see the Phoenix go. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it. I love sniping maxes with it, especially in base defense, because I can get over hills and single them out. Got a bunch of kills that way. But the thing is damn near useless against vehicles. I fire one round, I need about 10-15 seconds to actually hit something, another couple of seconds to reload, and I'll need to repeat that anywhere from 5-20 times just to kill something. Reavers tend to wipe me out in a matter of seconds, or just fly away, and tanks tend to retreat more often than not. I'm not really buying into the whole longer-TTK is better thing for vehicles. At least, not until I spec out completely for tanks tonight (probably)

2. The game sucks if you don't have an outfit. I can understand why many newcomers didn't really take to it. I had a great outfit, one I helped found, for several years, and that spoils you. I don't really see myself joining an outfit for a game I'll only play for less than a month at most, though who knows, but damn, playing this game solo isn't only hard, it's really terrible. You can't do all the fun, coordinated things like large assaults or vehicles, and the infantry combat isn't good enough to sustain you just for that. Hopefully, PS2 corrects this by being more fun on a basic level and improving the outfit system some how (maybe new-player outfits set up by SOE.)

3. Not going to miss the cert system. I think the bonus of customization (2which we may not really lose in the next game) is a very small benefit of a system that can absolutely pound you if you've picked up the wrong certs. It's bad when players can find themselves in a situation where there skill set really isn't doing any good, and yet they may not be able to change.

4. I'm really sick of Orbital Strikes. I think it was after the third or forth friendly Bolt from the Blue on our own vehicle pad that really put me off. Generally sick of CR5's in general, except for a few like Pointman and Goku, who were part of a very good minority.

5. Transports need incentives. I fought in some infantry combat between bases, and it was quite fun, but if I didn't have an AMS nearby, I hated having to walk several minutes just to get there. And sometimes, you die very quickly. I think Gal spawnpoints and squad spawns will be very helpful with that, and I think both are very welcome additions. We'll also see how distances work out in the new, more spread out continents. But either way, I want to see more benefits for gal and sundy drivers, because we need them, and for more than just squad or outfit ops.

But not everything was bad. I did get very fed up about every hour and disconnected, but I constantly found myself getting drawn back in to that clusterfuck on Searhus. I think I played for the better part of 4 hours. Combat could be very fun at times, even as a foot soldier.

I loved when I saw my performance meter for the first time: 77ms ping at most, and averaging 150 fps, with sustained periods above 200. Times certainly have changed.

But if anything, my PS1 experiences, however fun, have really opened my eyes as to how much PS2 needs to change things. It makes me laugh at the people who claim PS2 is "dumbing" things down, because believe me, there are a lot of dumb things in PS1, and a lot of dumb people (Laka... need I say more? Goku and Pointman know what I'm talking about.) Obvious stuff that often tends to be covered up by how much fun we can have working in groups in such a unique situation as the original Planetside. But at its core, the game needs to change. I'm enjoying myself in this game, but only because I'm not paying for it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion