Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2012-07-16, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Canaris
Contributor
General

Nice try Mr Scammer!

Just got a SMS in saying "Congratulations you're Irelands Winner, please visit www. sony.ie. contestcircle .info to claim your prize"
For about 3 seconds I was hmm is that Purrfectstorms contest I entered, then dawn broke as I did a double take on the address,

Oh you twixy wabbits!

Just thought I should share a smile of randomness

broke up the link due to the auto URLing

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-07-16 at 04:04 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
sumo
Corporal

Re: Nice try Mr Scammer!

if only the scammers were real i would have been a billionaire by now...
Old 2012-07-16, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

I'd be more worried about how they got your number.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Ninjacalypse View Post
I'd be more worried about how they got your number.
not really I've given my number to so many sites and things over the years it's bound to have been resold at least once to scammers I'm surprised I don't get more lol

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Old 2012-07-17, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gloworm
Private

I had a very generous offer the other day from an African dictator that needed to get his 50 million dollars out of his country, unfortunately once i gave him all my bank details, he seemed to disappear and never got back in contact
Old 2012-07-17, 06:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Gloworm View Post
I had a very generous offer the other day from an African dictator that needed to get his 50 million dollars out of his country, unfortunately once i gave him all my bank details, he seemed to disappear and never got back in contact
Well you know how these things go. He was probably replaced in a coup by a disgrunteld flight attendant who's now the currect benevolent dictator.

I think the most entertaining scamming attempt I've exprienced was when an indian person called me pretending to be from Microsoft's tech support and they had detected various malicious software on my computer via their gateway.
It was fun stringing him on for about half an hour before asking him if the scam actually ever worked.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-07-17, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Canaris
Contributor
General

I think the funniest scam I have ever heard of and this is all true, no word of a lie.

A letter arrived into my office one day addressed to someone who's no longer here so I open the letter and read

Dear Max

I'm writing to inform you that out of all the millions and millions of people on this planet I have selected you to benefit from my very special gift, let me give you some back ground so you know this isn't some scam.
I used to work a 9 to 5 job just like you before taking a trip to Tibet that not only changed my life but my very existence. I met one of the great Tibetan monks who taught me all about sorcery and supernatural powers of the mind and soul.
Now I use my powers for the betterment of mankind and help the needy, if you send me €5,000 I will create a link between us and when you are in your most need merely think of my name and wish me to appear and I shall to fulfil your wishes.
You need to do this my friend

James Matchcraft

sufficed to say people in the office were wondering why I was rofling around for twenty minutes as more and more people read the letter I was joined on the floor by people in fits of laughter.

Old 2012-07-17, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I got a text from Admiral General Aladeen himself the other day.

Old 2012-07-18, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
sumo
Corporal

People who actually fall for scams of this sort must be some kind of special stupid.
Im sure that there are better ways for an african dictator to move money around than to use some random persons bank account at the risk of losing everything.

lemme say it like this. if some african dictator did deposit 50 million in my bank account he wouldn't ever see me or the money again.
Old 2012-07-18, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Scam texts ftw.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gloworm
Private

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Well you know how these things go. He was probably replaced in a coup by a disgrunteld flight attendant who's now the currect benevolent dictator.

I think the most entertaining scamming attempt I've exprienced was when an indian person called me pretending to be from Microsoft's tech support and they had detected various malicious software on my computer via their gateway.
It was fun stringing him on for about half an hour before asking him if the scam actually ever worked.
I'm sad to say that scam does work, they did it on my Fiance's mother who paid out over £50 to them, they then told her to go on a website and do something (can't recall what) then the virus alert popped up saying something has been detected on the computer at which point she called her husband who told her to shut down the computer, so when i went to visit, i disconnected the internet and ran a full virus scan, which deleted a hell of a lot of registry files that had been infected, backed everything up and reformatted the hard drive and re installed windows.

At the time i wasn't sure if i should laugh at her for her stupidity or cry that people are actually that stupid.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kupo
Corporal

lol im surprised they got ur number somehow
Old 2012-07-18, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gloworm
Private

I think they just call random houses, and i'm guessing the scam is aimed at housewives who tend to be less streetwise and technologically minded. So when they get a phone call from Microsoft tech support telling them that they found these problems with the computer on their register, the woman just thinks it's legit.
Old 2012-07-18, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I'm sad to say that scam does work, they did it on my Fiance's mother who paid out over £50 to them, they then told her to go on a website and do something (can't recall what) then the virus alert popped up saying something has been detected on the computer at which point she called her husband who told her to shut down the computer, so when i went to visit, i disconnected the internet and ran a full virus scan, which deleted a hell of a lot of registry files that had been infected, backed everything up and reformatted the hard drive and re installed windows.

At the time i wasn't sure if i should laugh at her for her stupidity or cry that people are actually that stupid.
That's so sad

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-19, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I'm sorry to hear (read) that. Good thing you were on hand to make sure any keylogger wouldn't be able to send any more personal information.
A lesson well learned without too high a cost.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge