Let Factions Write / Rewrite lore for PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how do I turn god-mode on?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Lightbulb Let Factions Write / Rewrite lore for PS2

I decided to post here instead of the ideas forum (this may move there regardless) because I feel like it is a subject that needs to be discussed and explored by the PS community.

I originally started typing a post titled "The 4-letter C word - Cult" and the original intent was to question the character selection screen's description of VS as a "transhumanist cult" since that seems more like a biased NC or TR view rather than how the VS themselves would represent their faction to a potential new recruit. I realized partway through that I'm essentially asking for the PS2 team to work with the community to flesh out and detail the factional lore and history.

-

Faction Lore and the player's interaction with it in PlanetSide is quite unique. A vague amount of story material is provided, enough to get an understanding of the background and goals and motives of each faction, but not really enough to truly describe the inner-workings of each, nor to really hammer all the details down as concrete rules for what the faction is and is not. As it is, players already fill in the gaps with their own lore and stories.

There ought to be opportunities in PlanetSide 2, especially in beta while everything is still flexible, to have each faction work together to really hone the ideals and objectives of the faction. This doesn't mean that everyone needs to tow the party line regardless of their opinion on it, like in democratic centralism, but instead that everyone can agree on some key points while leaving other things up to the interpretation of the player representing that faction. Personally, I don't see the VS as a cult of transhumanists and tech worshipers, but scientists and academics and intellectuals who seek the right to self-determination on Auraxis without being driven by corporate funding. That doesn't mean we don't have transhumanists and technology worshipers among us, but that they don't represent the whole VS at all.

I'm not saying that this is anything bad about the game or the writers or the lore, but that player involvement in the story and lore will not only add richness and depth to the game, but also allow players to really hone the description and message behind their faction and what it is all about. I don't know exactly HOW this process would go. I'd probably set up a forum section on the PS2 forums for "PS2 Lore" and add subforums for VS, NC, TR, and maybe even NS.

But I'm not sure this is up to us. As much as us players love and enjoy the universe of PlanetSide and PlanetSide 2, it may be kind of overstepping our relationship with the game and the team by infusing our own ideals and understanding into the game, rather than leaving it to the PS2 team to design the backstory and factional motivations so players can interpret and fill in the gaps with their own imagination or player-written stories.

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. We aren't here to discuss what each faction is, but whether or not players should be involved with shaping the lore and history for each faction.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Re: Let Factions Write / Rewrite lore for PS2

greate more "This is ridiculousness mods!! threads!

Last edited by TheDAWinz; 2012-07-21 at 11:57 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

You drunk, high or both?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-07-21, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

The description for the vanu should be "alien worshiping cult".
Old 2012-07-22, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Talented Maori
Corporal

Agree TheDAWinz!

Last edited by Talented Maori; 2012-07-22 at 12:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Daemonn
Private

I agree with the OP. Each faction needs to have representation from love for the faction. If the general idea for the 3 are "NC love freedom, TR are commies, and VS are alien cultists" - it seriously gives people the wrong idea as compared to the lore. So any short descriptions about the factions should be representative of the lore - which is actually pretty cool and balanced. After reading the PS2 lore recently and in order here's how I see the factions:

TR - Those loyal to late president Connery are very noble in wanting to do the right thing for the people on the voyage and Auraxis. Then there are the elders who took over after Connery's assassination and cracked down then started abusing power. I imagine many TR would hold true to the ideals of Connery, even if the current leadership is defunct.

NC - After Connery was killed and a ship was lost in the assassination, TR cracked down and of course normal men and woman weren't down with that. Especially if they had nothing to do with the actual rebellion or anything. These people see the corporate groups moving away from the central leadership and the corporations even offer to pay some of them...

VS - Henry Briggs is the kid who was with Connery when humans found the first alien artifact ever. Henry was first to touch it and was it's keeper. He would hear voices and have visions of a being named Vanu. He felt finding out what it meant was key to our survival as a race, Connery believed the same thing. After Connery was killed, Henry and many teachers, scientists and academics started meeting to discuss their future. He told some about the visions and people started to support him.

In the scheme of things it seems like the TR and VS were closely aligned (in spirit as there were no factions right away) and the NC are totally controlled and influenced by private interest looking to do things like they do currently in our world today. Which is why corporations brought mercenaries from Earth and started calling the alliance of business men and defense/security companies the "New Conglomerate". It then says in the lore - from Henry Briggs (before the assassination of connery) -

"The group that really surprises me is the businessmen, the New Conglomerate, as they call themselves. We knew they hired paid mercenaries, so despite the incongruity of Earth’s top CEOs and glorified contract killers working side-by-side, I understand that bond. What I wasn’t expecting was all the young people siding with the N.C. It turns out the N.C.’s rallying cry for freedom from government intervention is something they both favor. Both groups are fed up with the increasingly harsh government regulations, and now they stand together against a common enemy. I guess the old saying about politics making strange bedfellows is still true."
Old 2012-07-22, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

If you're a history geek, the Vanu are simple to read: They're a mystery cult. With ray guns. I even have ideas for a machinima that incorporates the idea.

The TR aren't Space Nazis; they're Space Republicans. Very tradition bound, very cautious about new stuff, very Law And Fucking Order. Despite being a nice socialized medicine liberal, if I were actually on Auraxis I'd still be with them. Their chief error is disobeying Sun Tzu and trying to run a state like an army. But their intent is honest. It's not a power grab; it's a desperate attempt to hold this little pocket of humanity together.

Daemonn is right. The NC are a bit difficult to read, lore-wise. They are a beast of many parts. They truly are a 'conglomerate.'
Old 2012-07-22, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

NC just fucking rule, 'nuff sed.
Anyone that says we're capitalist-kissing corporate lackeys deserves a jackhammer to the face.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-07-22, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

As to who the Vanu alien beings are... I have conceptualized them here. As I continue my studies, my thoughts on what they may look or have looked like before ascention may change. My fellow Vanu, I give you...

http://anam.tilt180.com/vanu-alien-with-tech/

Immersion in the story is half the fun of any game I play!

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2012-07-22 at 03:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I don't see a problem with more fleshed out backstory. Would be nice. Should get a professional writer, or perhaps some of the decent writers from the community, you know, the ones who can actually WRITE. And spell. And stuff.

Anyway. Nothing wrong with this idea, although it'll probably be moved.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ratstomper
Major

The thing is...most people already do this on a personal level.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ZaBa
Corporal

Written lore doesn't add richness and depth to this kind of game in the slightest; it's player interactions that do that. Take EVE for example. Loads of officially sanctioned (even published!) fiction related to the universe, but what really makes the game feel alive is the stories of players. I've read quite a bit of the fanficton, but to be honest I can't really remember any of it, but the real tales of daring raids and heists and intrigue? Those stick with me.

Other than that it kinda just sounds like you want an excuse to have your Vanu propaganda officially accepted because you don't like being painted as a science-worshiping alien furry. :P

Write your POV piece by all means (it's not like anyone can stop you), but the less story this game has upfront the better imo. It's about the players, about us, and it's easier to play that way if the only stories presented up front are about things that really happened (with maybe a little flavour to get the ball rolling, although even that is barely necessary; "because" has always been enough reason for red and blue to shoot each other in the past).

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
The thing is...most people already do this on a personal level.
Also this.
Old 2012-07-22, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
jepaul
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
I decided to post here instead of the ideas forum (this may move there regardless) because I feel like it is a subject that needs to be discussed and explored by the PS community.

I originally started typing a post titled "The 4-letter C word - Cult" and the original intent was to question the character selection screen's description of VS as a "transhumanist cult" since that seems more like a biased NC or TR view rather than how the VS themselves would represent their faction to a potential new recruit. I realized partway through that I'm essentially asking for the PS2 team to work with the community to flesh out and detail the factional lore and history.

-

Faction Lore and the player's interaction with it in PlanetSide is quite unique. A vague amount of story material is provided, enough to get an understanding of the background and goals and motives of each faction, but not really enough to truly describe the inner-workings of each, nor to really hammer all the details down as concrete rules for what the faction is and is not. As it is, players already fill in the gaps with their own lore and stories.

There ought to be opportunities in PlanetSide 2, especially in beta while everything is still flexible, to have each faction work together to really hone the ideals and objectives of the faction. This doesn't mean that everyone needs to tow the party line regardless of their opinion on it, like in democratic centralism, but instead that everyone can agree on some key points while leaving other things up to the interpretation of the player representing that faction. Personally, I don't see the VS as a cult of transhumanists and tech worshipers, but scientists and academics and intellectuals who seek the right to self-determination on Auraxis without being driven by corporate funding. That doesn't mean we don't have transhumanists and technology worshipers among us, but that they don't represent the whole VS at all.

I'm not saying that this is anything bad about the game or the writers or the lore, but that player involvement in the story and lore will not only add richness and depth to the game, but also allow players to really hone the description and message behind their faction and what it is all about. I don't know exactly HOW this process would go. I'd probably set up a forum section on the PS2 forums for "PS2 Lore" and add subforums for VS, NC, TR, and maybe even NS.

But I'm not sure this is up to us. As much as us players love and enjoy the universe of PlanetSide and PlanetSide 2, it may be kind of overstepping our relationship with the game and the team by infusing our own ideals and understanding into the game, rather than leaving it to the PS2 team to design the backstory and factional motivations so players can interpret and fill in the gaps with their own imagination or player-written stories.

Please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. We aren't here to discuss what each faction is, but whether or not players should be involved with shaping the lore and history for each faction.
You got picked last in kickball growing up? I surround myself with cyber studs who kill at a rate of 4/1. They could care less were their fucking gun comes from just as long as it work. Please spend additional time worrying about why vanu is purple.

No freaking wonder there are no competitive gamers in the community. Lore? Really? Fucking lore? I've spaced bar through every cut scene any MMO ever provided. Please let this be what my competition will be focused on. Please!
Old 2012-07-22, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
I surround myself with cyber studs who kill at a rate of 4/1. They could care less were their fucking gun comes from just as long as it work. Please spend additional time worrying about why vanu is purple.

No freaking wonder there are no competitive gamers in the community. Lore? Really? Fucking lore? I've spaced bar through every cut scene any MMO ever provided.
Wow. Just wow. You manage to be bloodless and hostile at the same time.

If you don't like it, don't look at it. A little RP is fun for most folks.
Old 2012-07-22, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ruskyandrei
Private

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
You got picked last in kickball growing up? I surround myself with cyber studs who kill at a rate of 4/1. They could care less were their fucking gun comes from just as long as it work. Please spend additional time worrying about why vanu is purple.

No freaking wonder there are no competitive gamers in the community. Lore? Really? Fucking lore? I've spaced bar through every cut scene any MMO ever provided. Please let this be what my competition will be focused on. Please!
Because discussing the background of the game you're going to play is clearly such a waste of time when you could instead be posting threads about game balance and winning tactics...before the beta is out... >.>
Please tell me pompous assholes like this is what my competition will be. Please!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion