Any word on Buggies? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: a division of UPS
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-20, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vectorian
Private

Any word on Buggies?

Just was wondering if we've heard anything about buggies being added back into planetside 2. Since I thought they were fun to drive around even though they were a little on the weak side, but still fun nonetheless harassing tanks and driving in circles lol. Also if they were to add them into the game how could they improve them or make them more interesting to actually make people want to use them?

Last edited by Vectorian; 2012-04-20 at 05:34 PM.
Old 2012-04-20, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Re: Any word on Buggies?

IIRC no buggies at launch.
Old 2012-04-20, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Not available at launch, but from what I understand and would expect they should appear sometime in the games lifespan. (If they don't we will riot)

EDIT: Sorry when i posted my reply there was still not an answer

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-04-20 at 06:20 PM.
Old 2012-04-20, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

I will miss the Enforcer very much.
Old 2012-04-20, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Thoreaux
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ertwin View Post
IIRC no buggies at launch.
Which is hopefully rectified quickly. I'm somebody who was never much for vehicle combat, but zipping around a chaotic battlefield, weaving in-between tanks, dodging reaver rockets, and generally being a maniac in a buggy was one of the best things in Planetside.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Thoreaux View Post
Which is hopefully rectified quickly. I'm somebody who was never much for vehicle combat, but zipping around a chaotic battlefield, weaving in-between tanks, dodging reaver rockets, and generally being a maniac in a buggy was one of the best things in Planetside.
Not only that but it was a good means of transportation (medium assault was not required)
Old 2012-04-21, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Furber
First Sergeant

On the reddit higby AMA, he responded with "post-launch". I hope it's one of the first updates!
Old 2012-04-21, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

As far as I know, all buggie type vehicles will not make it for release. That includes Murader, Harasser, Thresher, Enforcer, and Skyguard. Support vehicles such as the ANT and AMS aren't returning either, but everything else (aside from the Deliverer and variants) are pretty much represented.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Knocky
Major

Lightning is supposed to be the premier AA platform now, so I don't expect the Skyguard to ever come back.
Old 2012-04-21, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I personally don't care if there is never a Harasser or Skyguard, just so long as they bring back the ES buggies. The main reason being that I could easily see them allowing us to customize ES buggies to fill the rolls of Harassers and Skyguards, and then some.

Much as I think everyone has some fond memories of skyguards (I'm a pilot and I had a blast with them, gunning for them and hunting/avoiding them), but I think the main draw was the awesome high speed AA capabilities of it. I doubt most people would have enjoyed it any less if that same AA gun had been mounted on their ES buggy.

Hopefully they find lots of ways of making buggies a fun, unique and valuable contribution to the battlefield. They are a blast to drive and ride in no matter what, but I want them to be just as valuable as galaxies and MBT's and lightnings and Sunderers etc, in their own way.

Oh yeah and I want a Thresher that can fly for limited periods of time

Edit:
Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Lightning is supposed to be the premier AA platform now, so I don't expect the Skyguard to ever come back.
This too. It could be that buggies come back in a very different form than we had in the first game. As long as they are still a blast to drive and are unique and useful.

I wonder if they will go with just giving us a single buggy, like the harasser, with ES customization options instead of an entirely unique vehicle for each faction. I hope not, but at least we would still have a buggy.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-21 at 03:06 AM.
Old 2012-04-21, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Purple
Sergeant Major

i would love my buggy back. i think that unnamed armored buggy looking thing will be alot of fun until the buggys get put in.
Old 2012-04-21, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Thoreaux View Post
I concur. While the majority of my Planetside time was spent in other vehicles, I really did enjoy the speed and freedom of the buggies and racing across flat continents with a squadmate in the gunner seat.
Old 2012-04-21, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Definitely had some great times darting around in a Marauder and doing hit and run bombarments.

As others have said, it was awesome to only just get away in time whilst weaving and being under fire!

Hoping to see them return soon after launch but I do like the idea of an AA Lightning. To me the Skyguard always looked a bit ugly and out of place despite being effective at its assigned role.
Old 2012-04-21, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rozonus
Private

If/when they are added, I hope that they have more survivability than they did in PS1.

They felt a bit useless in the grand scale of things, because almost everyone else kept using MBTs or more heavily armoured vehicles. Unless the situation was perfect, I could only spend a very short amount of time in the battlefield before every enemy player in a vehicle or with AT weapons noticed me and thought "Oh that'll be an easy kill" and I was barraged with munitions.

I realise that buggies are only supposed to be light support vehicles, but if players can easily switch to Heavy Assault with an AT weapon, or keep spawning tanks on a regular basis, I don't see buggies fitting into the game at all.
Old 2012-04-21, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rozonus View Post
If/when they are added, I hope that they have more survivability than they did in PS1.

They felt a bit useless in the grand scale of things, because almost everyone else kept using MBTs or more heavily armoured vehicles. Unless the situation was perfect, I could only spend a very short amount of time in the battlefield before every enemy player in a vehicle or with AT weapons noticed me and thought "Oh that'll be an easy kill" and I was barraged with munitions.

I realise that buggies are only supposed to be light support vehicles, but if players can easily switch to Heavy Assault with an AT weapon, or keep spawning tanks on a regular basis, I don't see buggies fitting into the game at all.
I disagree with you. I think buggies were one of the most fun vehicles in PS1 and offered a fast-paced action gameplay which I loved.
e.g.: hit-and-run, traps, harass, AV-bails, 1-min respawn time limit (basically no penalty for a suicide run), etc...

There was plenty of fun to be had ! Buggies were not meant to be played like a tank.

Of course, maybe it's because we had the thresher and that thing was awesome. The phoenix was also quite good with its strong armor, one-hit-kill gun and high top speed (terrible reverse speed, though).

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-04-21 at 07:19 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion