Any word on Buggies? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Real men dont use Jetpacks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-21, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Re: Any word on Buggies?

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
I disagree with you. I think buggies were one of the most fun vehicles in PS1 and offered a fast-paced action gameplay which I loved.
e.g.: hit-and-run, traps, harass, AV-bails, 1-min respawn time limit (basically no penalty for a suicide run), etc...

There was plenty of fun to be had ! Buggies were not meant to be played like a tank.

Of course, maybe it's because we had the thresher and that thing was awesome. The phoenix was also quite good with its strong armor, one-hit-kill gun and high top speed (terrible reverse speed, though).
I used Marauders to kill tanks often. Threashers were great anti-infantry vehicles when you knew how to maneuver them around. Most fun I had was zipping around a group of infantry and breaking directly behind them giving my gunner a target rich environment, then turning and taking off the second they realized I was behind them (after 2 or 3 kills). I often ran into a grunt or two just speeding away for the fun of it.

I especially see buggies as being customizable with greater speed or heavier armor as well as customizable weapons. A heavier buggy with an AV load out could be a very effective tank killer while a faster moving one with AA or AI load out would provide great infantry support.

That was the one thing that buggies were good at, infantry support. They could be spawned anywhere with no tech requirements and were easily capable of scouting and backing up troops on the ground. This is a role that shouldn't be over looked.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-04-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I want buggies, but only if the vehicles can have a proper place in the game. In PS all the buggies made good on the battle islands, but everywhere else for the most part they were fodder for AV/tanks/reavers. I just see this happening again and rather not waste the time on 3 unique vehicles with cert trees going into them if they can't do much. Potentially if the buggies are brought I think the biggest value towards them could potentially be far cheaper then tanks. If resources are truly going to be were you have to choose wisely what to pull, perhaps getting a buggy instead of bringing extra tanks in a column for example due to it being cheaper and being nearly as effective firepower wise.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-04-21 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2012-04-21, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Vectorian
Private

I definitely think they should be much cheaper on resources so people are more willing to pull them instead of tanks maybe increase their speed by a little bit more also so I can jump them over mountains lol.
Old 2012-04-21, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Potentially if the buggies are brought I think the biggest value towards them could potentially be far cheaper then tanks. If resources are truly going to be were you have to choose wisely what to pull, perhaps getting a buggy instead of bringing extra tanks in a column for example due to it being cheaper and being nearly as effective firepower wise.
This is exactly why I think buggies will fit in the game perfectly.

I applaud the devs for trying to streamline the design and cut out clutter with vehicles but I think that a lot of the fun from the last game was the large choice of vehicles to drive. My problem with having one tank that fits all the roles is I have no choice but to drive the same vehicle all the time.

On top of it being a cheaper alternative it would just be fun to have more choices. They put in the Flash or ATV to fill the role of that fast hit and run gameplay. You don't have much armor but your quick and it's hella fun to drive is the idea. That idea could work with buggies except you could share the experience with a friend.

If they include buggies I think what they need to do is make sure they have good firepower. They shouldn't have the armor of tanks, of course they should be fodder for tanks, it's a buggy, and thats a tank. But you need to have somewhat comparable firepower so that someone with skill behind the wheel can use the extra maneuverability to compensate for armor.

Buggies are fun, buggies are awesome. The devs will add them I am quite sure.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well thats what I'm thinking. If you have a armor column with a mix of tanks for the armor and buggies for similar fire power to a tank and better maneuverability I think it can work.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

I'm going to hang myself if they end up never adding the Thresher.

It was my favorite :_(
Old 2012-04-21, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Well thats what I'm thinking. If you have a armor column with a mix of tanks for the armor and buggies for similar fire power to a tank and better maneuverability I think it can work.
Definitely. To say it doesn't have a place in the game space seems ridiculous to me. It's place in the game is "It's fun"
Old 2012-04-21, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

Fast, cheap and easy that's the way we like our vehicles.
Old 2012-04-21, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I like the idea of buggies being available when you don't have a tech plant. Something that will get you and your friends into the battle quickly but not be an attacking force.
Old 2012-04-21, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

firing a guided pheonix from the passenger seat of jeep sounds like hilariously fun combat to me. Make it happen! (POST LAUNCH)
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-21, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
raidyr
Corporal

Some of my most fun times in Planetside 1 were in the Marauder with a couple outfit buddies just having fun. Harasser was fun as well.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion