How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The reason why you look like the mailman.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Empire Themes
Take them off,I want empires to have mixes in attributes 5 12.20%
Keep them exactly the same but don't make a huge deal like in PS1(marketing) 9 21.95%
Keep them exactly the same 14 34.15%
Keep them but the difference should be slight 10 24.39%
Every Empire should have the same weapons 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-23, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech)

So Im wondering do you guys want these themes back in the game?

I remember SOE put a strong emphases on these themes, when u first got the game u basically made the choice because u read TR=Rapidfire,NC power,Vanu=tech....or because of how cool they were and because of the little storyline they showed.

So im wondering this time around do u guys want SOE to Emphasize on this as much as Planetside....or do u even want the themes back?

I mean obviously Vanu is tech.....but Should TR weapons still be rapidfire and NC weapons still be the most powerful?

or should it be a mix now?

I personally want them to keep the themes, but they shouldn't make a big deal like they did in the first Planetside....I want them to do a more storyline emphasis now
Old 2011-07-23, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech)

All I know is that I dont wanna be pigeonholed into shotguns again as NC
Old 2011-07-23, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech)

Weapons with slight variations on a theme, rather than major differences in capabilities. MA balance, not ESAV balance.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
klu
Corporal

i asked this before but ill throw it out there again. two of the supposed advantages the vs had in exchange for longer ttk weapons were mobility (floating tanks and flying maxes). im wondering if things like jump jets and seaborne vehicles will diminish that advantage and if the ttk's for the rifles will be flattened out between empires? i would also like to know if jump jets will bring about changes to the maxes? will the vs still have a flying max? will the other empires get flying maxes?
Old 2011-07-23, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Aractain
Major

Theme is important but its more important to have different style (so energy weapons for VS).

I don't want to see ANY bullets being used by the vs EVER!

As for the themes my view was and is:

TR's Theme is hit them with everything we have which comes from the idea that you have to stem reblelion and evil in the bud before it can spread so we don't have time to setup the perfect shot.

NC's theme is we have limited resoruces so we need to make every shot, every solider and every vehicle count.

VS's theme is technology overcomes all obsticles so for every problem they have a technological solution. Engineering useful equipment to cover for disadvtages Eg: We have weak tank armour because we use hover tech for better manourability - use long range weaponary to keep our tanks out of danger.

The VS is the hardest because its not really a theme. (And versatility is dumb)

(and as for TTK it should be similar for all but situationaly different, which gives each empire different playstyles from the start and different combat enviroments they try to engineer the fight towards)

Last edited by Aractain; 2011-07-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

I think they should probably add some additional traits. Possibly expand on the gauss concept for the NC, more cannons for TR (Marauder/Pounder/Prowler etc.) and VS? I don't know what you could add to VS...Possibly add some more "charge-up" mechanics (Lancer) and orb fun (Lasher/Aurora)?

Edit: Aractain brings up good points. If NC are becoming more improvisational, perhaps gauss technology no longer suits them. Improvised explosives could fit with the low-tech and guerilla style they seem to be heading in.

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-23 at 06:55 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I think they should probably add some additional traits. Possibly expand on the gauss concept for the NC, more cannons for TR (Marauder/Pounder/Prowler etc.) and VS? I don't know what you could add to VS...Possibly add some more "charge-up" mechanics (Lancer) and orb fun (Lasher/Aurora)?

Edit: Aractain brings up good points. If NC are becoming more improvisational, perhaps gauss technology no longer suits them. Improvised explosives could fit with the low-tech and guerilla style they seem to be heading in.
I have to say that I would personally rather have more traditional projectile weapons instead of expanding the gauss-idea.

I don't wanna be a VS-wannabe with my tech!
Old 2011-07-23, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

i would like to see them really try some stuff like the VS have no AA max, but infantry can pull an AA weapon. really give the empires some differences. or an emoire could not have a buggy but be able to pull a 2 seater lighter tank from not teched bases, this would be countered by the other 2 empires having stronger infantry AV weapons.

just brainstorming, and there is no bad ideas in brainstorming.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I have to say that I would personally rather have more traditional projectile weapons instead of expanding the gauss-idea.

I don't wanna be a VS-wannabe with my tech!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun

I don't know whether you said what you said because you knew what a gauss gun should be and still felt it was too close to the VS, or because the guass rifle in PS gave you the wrong impression as to what a gauss gun actually was. Either way, I'm not sure technology we had in 1934 could be considered too advanced for the NC.

Edit: Ugh, I keep changing my mind. It really does depend on whether NC equipment is simply low-tech/efficiently made, or Minmatar-style deathtraps. To be honest, thinking back to the Vanguard we've seen and the MAX concept art, they really could have come from the NC of two separate realities. If the NC can make such clean looking tanks, what the hell's up with their MAX?

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-23 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilgun

I don't know whether you said what you said because you knew what a gauss gun should be and still felt it was too close to the VS, or because the guass rifle in PS gave you the wrong impression as to what a gauss gun actually was. Either way, I don't think technology we had in 1934 could be considered too close to VS' philosophy on tech.
Personally what I was sort of worried about was the sound of the weapons in the end. The Gauss rifle was pretty much suitable for my liking, but I didn't like how it sounded like a semi lazer-pew-pew high tech weapon.

It's understandable that a weapon using such mechanics (In short the way I understand the concept is that the projectile is given velocity through some magnetic stuff or something) wouldnt sound alike to a basic gas operating firearms, and this was my main concern, really. I just don't want the weapon to feel too "high tech" in terms of looks or sounds

On that note, most of the PS weapon sounds were quite weird, but I guess we can blame that on it being such an old game.

TLDR: What I would like for NC is basic gas-operated projectile weapons that sound and feel like they should. Weapons don't sound manly without some gunpowder going off! Would also imo fit the NC-lore better, who necessarily dont have the resources for any fancy tech, so they have to do it old school.

While the "gauss tech" would be from 1934, making a reliable, functioning assault rifle using that tech is still a thing for the future, really Also, current infantry weapon technology has barely changed at all in 100 years. Most of the mechanisms used in current weapons were basically invented by John Moses Browning 100 years ago (see Colt 1911).

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Personally what I was sort of worried about was the sound of the weapons in the end. The Gauss rifle was pretty much suitable for my liking, but I didn't like how it sounded like a semi lazer-pew-pew high tech weapon.

It's understandable that a weapon using such mechanics (In short the way I understand the concept is that the projectile is given velocity through some magnetic stuff or something) wouldnt sound alike to a basic gas operating firearms, and this was my main concern, really. I just don't want the weapon to feel too "high tech" in terms of looks or sounds

On that note, most of the PS weapon sounds were quite weird, but I guess we can blame that on it being such an old game.

TLDR: What I would like for NC is basic gas-operated projectile weapons that sound and feel like they should. Weapons don't sound manly without some gunpowder going off! Would also imo fit the NC-lore better, who necessarily dont have the resources for any fancy tech, so they have to do it old school.

While the "gauss tech" would be from 1934, making a reliable, functioning assault rifle using that tech is still a thing for the future, really Also, current infantry weapon technology has barely changed at all in 100 years. Most of the mechanisms used in current weapons were basically invented by John Moses Browning 100 years ago (see Colt 1911).
well maiing large spaceship and colonsing other planets is a thing of the future, a gauss rifle is a current technology thats been weaponised, just not mass produced on small scale. it obviously needs some refinements. but in theory, gauss rifles would require less resources because the bullets don't need a cartridge.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I like the empires actually having different weaponry. The game would get dull quickly in my opinion if its the same weapon with a slight variance on each empire.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I like the empires actually having different weaponry. The game would get dull quickly in my opinion if its the same weapon with a slight variance on each empire.
I don't really see how. Sure your opponents would use similar/same strategies, so a 50% decrease in opponent variety, but this is more than compensated by having a lot more tools open up for you. Your role and tactics would constantly change based on the weapon you picked.

You may not want to fight the same opponent. I don't want the enemies to have a vastly different capability than I do, when they pull the thing from the same damned equipment terminal. I don't like being limited to 1/3 of the weapon options.
Old 2011-07-23, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Different ideas yes. Though taking your AA max example and applying to TR infantry instead of giving them an AI max would be entertaining. Require them to lock down to actually use their weapon to the fullest .
Old 2011-07-23, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Play the other empires more then? That was one of my favorite features of PS there was an actual difference in weaponry to make the game slightly different. Having to change tactics depending on what you are actually up against. There was a difference, but enough to make one weapon clearly better then another.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion