Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Be cool, Stay in school
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-12-22, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition!

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
We do have proof that barrier to entry (currently CC) cuts back on exploiters. We're talking about blatant exploiting, predominantly wall and speed hacks that affected everyone playing. This was apparent when PS1 had the reserves program then shut it down due to blatant exploiting.

But I also agree that it does limit the player base. Not certain what else could be done other then active mods watching and responding as they do in PS2 currently.
A number of things.

First of all, engine needs to be fixed up. Fix the performance, move stuff to the server, as much as possible. PS2 has to do a lot of stuff Clientside due to the sheer amount of stuff happening (Physics, 2000 players, etc), but PS1 runned just fine ages ago on much weaker server hardware. 133 Players per faction is PS1s sweet spot, no need to up the numbers.
And even if stuff cant be moved to the server completly, there should still be enough power left to monitor players, and give them a ban if they appear to have different ROF, COF and whetever else values than they should.

Also, active, easy working reports and someone to monitor them. Not 24/7 or something, the PS2 folks who do te job for PS2 just need to hop over whenever the need arises.

Pair that with a subscription of 5$ a month to be able to play, and you should be good. No reserve or anything, pure F2P needs constant admin monitoring, or it will get overrun by cheaters. Any entry barrier like CCs or something just makes it harder for a lot of valid players, and hurts more than it helps.
Old 2012-12-22, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
ITs fine as it is?

Get PLAY the game and tell me that again.
Edited my rude and hateful post toward you Basti, because its useless to fight hate with hate.

Long point made short Basti: Go play PS2 and leave us be to petition for a game we think is better. Voice your opinion by NOT signing the petition, and go to the PS2 forums to "push it in the right direction" as you say. Its beyond that for me and for my outfit.

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2012-12-22 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2012-12-22, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

On a lighter note, if you support this petition, please share it with everyone you know.
Old 2012-12-23, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Edited my rude and hateful post toward you Basti, because its useless to fight hate with hate.

Long point made short Basti: Go play PS2 and leave us be to petition for a game we think is better. Voice your opinion by NOT signing the petition, and go to the PS2 forums to "push it in the right direction" as you say. Its beyond that for me and for my outfit.
I do belive PS1s metagame is better. But with the engine being completly broken people just cant play it.

Go in, check your performance. You should have a quadrillion FPS, with luck you get 200-300 in sanc, but the majority of people got about 20-30 in all situations.

It needs a lot of work to function again. Work you completly ignored.

Take a look at Planetside day we had half a year ago. PS1 was full with Vets and new players, for several reasons:
1. People were waiting for the PS2 beta to start.
2. It was a Free month
3. We advertised this thing like crazy and got a crapload of support not just from SOE, but also from Plenty of Outfits who send out mass Emails/PMs to former members to rally them once again.

So, F2P in itself wont help you much. You still need to actually get the players interrested.
The Free month sony gave us quickly died out after Planetside Day. We went from 5 pop locks down to 1.
To prevent that from happening, you need to fix the game. Otherwise you have a F2P that nobody plays.
Old 2012-12-23, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
GuyShep
Private

Basti hit the nail on the here. The only way to get a considerable amount of people playing PS1 again is to do a premeditated event, but that'll only last for the event's duration. In the end, only the people still playing PS1 to this day regardless of price will still play, till the servers go down.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Huntsab
Sergeant

If SOE has mods watching PS2 then a quick appeal could alert them to any cheater activity and the mod can come in and remove them. Basti is right about the engine iot is terribly optimised. Since all that latest CE crap got put in was when FPS drops hit hard and coupled with poor win 7 support too.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Huntsab
Sergeant

Originally Posted by GuyShep View Post
Basti hit the nail on the here. The only way to get a considerable amount of people playing PS1 again is to do a premeditated event, but that'll only last for the event's duration. In the end, only the people still playing PS1 to this day regardless of price will still play, till the servers go down.
We had 4 pop locks on the weekend in the summer when it was free 2 play. Add the sheer number of pissed of PS2 players who can't run the game for toffee due to their systems being too weak. I think PS1 will take off again. Especially when they get their teeth into the game play and all the vets return. We have an itch to scratch right now and no game out there is capable.
Old 2012-12-23, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
GuyShep
Private

Originally Posted by Huntsab View Post
We had 4 pop locks on the weekend in the summer when it was free 2 play. Add the sheer number of pissed of PS2 players who can't run the game for toffee due to their systems being too weak. I think PS1 will take off again. Especially when they get their teeth into the game play and all the vets return. We have an itch to scratch right now and no game out there is capable.

4 pop locks on a free month that occurred at the same time as the Planetside Day Event, before which everyone spread the word that "You need to get on Planetside 1 at this date". At a similar time, hype for Planetside 2 was going on.

There is no itch. The vets are bitter and not optimistic or tolerant, and PS1 has its flaws and problems that'd steer people away from PS1. Long story short, bad netcode, bad infantry handling/combat, overall weak everything besides the metagame, sanctuaries, and the inventory system(though it'd be nice to rotate your gear). PS1 did as well as it did up to this day because there was nearly no competition(WWII Online is probably the only contender, but people wanted something simpler). If another MMOFPS showed up around Planetside 1's time, it'd give it a run for its money if it did even marginally better. However, that's not saying PS2 is competing with PS1. If PS1 went F2P, almost nothing would happen to PS2 unless capable people made a hobby out of trying to ruin PS2 for PS1's sake.

The itch only existed because we deliberately scratched a spot enough to cause an itch, which was so miniscule that the feeling went away after a relatively short amount of time.
Old 2012-12-23, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by GuyShep View Post
There is no itch.
70 signatures on petition in 2 days. No itch you say?
Old 2012-12-23, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
GuyShep
Private

70 signatures on petition in 2 days. No itch you say?
Sure, if there were only a couple hundred people on the planet.
Old 2012-12-23, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Crator
Major General

^ Don't get smart. I said in 2 days. And not everyone reads forums, esp since the holidays just started.

EDIT: WTF do you care anyways?

Last edited by Crator; 2012-12-23 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2012-12-23, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GuyShep
Private

^ Don't get smart. I said in 2 days. And not everyone reads forums, esp since the holidays just started.

EDIT: WTF do you care anyways?
70 people in 2 days is still 70 people, especially when the only alternative place to post this is in the Planetside 2 forum.

I don't care much, but it doesn't seem like that's important to anyone.
Old 2012-12-24, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
LostSoul

The only reason why PS1 isn't free to play yet, as far as i can see, is that they are afraid (and they know) that Planetside 1 is the better game at the moment.

The huge flock of veterans to Planetside 1, and them not being able to monetize planetside propperly if its f2p, would hurt Planetside 2 and their income.

If planetside 1 would revive due to the vets switching back allot of planetside 2 players would probably make the move to check it out and see all the flaws Planetside 2 has.

I don't see PS1 going f2p before they are able to fix the meta-game and performance issues Planetside 2 has. When Planetside 2 is on par with Planetside 1 it might go f2p because it'll be a niche game again and they'll have Planetside 2 for the new FPS players.

But heck, pure speculation and all... it might go f2p on 1st of januari too... who knows!
Old 2012-12-24, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
The only reason why PS1 isn't free to play yet, as far as i can see, is that they are afraid (and they know) that Planetside 1 is the better game at the moment.

The huge flock of veterans to Planetside 1, and them not being able to monetize planetside propperly if its f2p, would hurt Planetside 2 and their income.

If planetside 1 would revive due to the vets switching back allot of planetside 2 players would probably make the move to check it out and see all the flaws Planetside 2 has.

I don't see PS1 going f2p before they are able to fix the meta-game and performance issues Planetside 2 has. When Planetside 2 is on par with Planetside 1 it might go f2p because it'll be a niche game again and they'll have Planetside 2 for the new FPS players.

But heck, pure speculation and all... it might go f2p on 1st of januari too... who knows!
this imo is spot on from what i can tell. I pretty much think Smed is fucking terrified of being proven wrong on a lot of stuff he has been adamant about in ps2. And, ive got to wonder if Basti is in the same boat, after having been all gung-ho about PS2 over the last year and a half or so. You bet I would torpedo anything I thought might put my foot in my mouth too unless I simply didn't give a shit, which I'm prone to often having be the case for various reasons as well.

As one of the other PG guys said, "Too bad the current incarnation of planetside is the bastard child with the missing chromosome"

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-12-24 at 04:30 AM.
Old 2012-12-24, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

It's simple, if you don't want to sign the petition. Don't. Coming into thread to talk about how it's never going to be f2p just makes you look like a cunt.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion