Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how do I turn god-mode on?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: Planetside 2 on Playstation 4 in 2013?

SOE =/= Sony. As far as I understand of SOE, they have absolutely no paws on the PlayStation 4 although it is certainly capable of playing PlanetSide 2 (A properly clocked A10 APU will get the job done, motherfucker).

I believe that seeing PlanetSide 2 released on the PlayStation 4 is possible, although extremely, insanely, ridiculously, absurdly, preposterously, retardedly unlikely. If it does happen, it will be good for the game because it means more players. Bigger is better, and with a game like PS2, we need all the players we can get.

The last thing SOE and the players want is Sony rearing its fugly content-controlling head on the game (not saying Sony is bad at this, just saying there has been no successful console that has not), which will slow down development and could ultimately kill the game. But, I'm not a business exec and I am not exactly sure what the relationship is between SOE and the main body of Sony, and I am also not sure of how strictly the PlayStation 4 will be controlled by Sony.

IF PS2 was released on the PlayStation 4, with minimal holds from the console overlords, it would absolutely shatter the console market and Sony would see a huge boost in sales in comparison to the PlayStation 3 reception. The key is that the servers must allow both PC and PS4 players to mingle in the same game environment, possibly allowing PS4-only servers. The game must be offered free-to-play, just like for the PC.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-01-14 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Skittles
Sergeant

No way.

This game wont be alive long enough for it to make it PS4 in November/December/January.

You have a MASSIVE drop in population 6 weeks after release, and you think its even possible that the game will have any population 10 months to a year from now? pfft, please.

Even if the game had one server per area, EU, USEast/West/AU, there wouldnt be enough population for SOE to see profit in all that would be necessary to target PS4.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

maybe - but they would be competeing with Dust.
Old 2013-01-15, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Hope not. Porting it to a console that will already suck compared to a proper gaming rig will only restrict the future development of the game especially as smed wanted to run it for 12+ years

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-01-15, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Palerion
Sergeant Major

And how long did they say they wanted Planetside 2 to last? I think if they're going to keep expanding the game, a console port will ruin their plans.

EDIT: Lol mastachief you posted it before me

Last edited by Palerion; 2013-01-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2013-01-15, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Cyridius
Private

PS2 wont work on consoles
Old 2013-01-16, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
sneeek
Private

No developer has ever succeeded in making a successful FPS in which PC gamers (mouse+keyboard) can play along with console gamers (gamepad). Microsoft's own internal project, to find out if it can work, concluded that even average mouse+keyboard players will destroy good gamepad players every time.

I've always hoped that consoles might one day allow alternative input devices like mouse+keyboard, but realistically it's never going to happen due to market inertia.

So if PS2 ever came to consoles (which seems unlikely, tbh), I'm sure that PC players and console players would be for ever segregated by Controller Apartheid, i.e. play on different servers and maybe use a different client.

Last edited by sneeek; 2013-01-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2013-01-16, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by sneeek View Post
No developer has ever succeeded in making a successful FPS in which PC gamers (mouse+keyboard) can play along with console gamers (gamepad). Microsoft's own internal project, to find out if it can work, concluded that even average mouse+keyboard players will destroy good gamepad players every time.

I've always hoped that consoles might one day allow alternative input devices like mouse+keyboard, but realistically it's never going to happen due to market inertia.

So if PS2 ever came to consoles (which seems unlikely, tbh), I'm sure that PC players and console players would be for ever segregated by Controller Apartheid, i.e. play on different servers and maybe use a different client.
Incorrect sir, Quake3 on the Sega Dreamcast, allowed console and PC players to play the same servers. Yeah most of the time if you were using a controller, and had 56k, you were going to get owned by somebody on a PC, but not always. You also had the option of M/KB, and it was one of the first, if not the first, console to connect to broadband. It was an amazing community as well. We set up our own ladder, and had events all the time.
Old 2013-01-16, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Rockit
Banned

Hey Ill remember me? Don't smoke dope!
Old 2013-01-16, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
adaroe
Private

plug in the controller and start assigning buttons. It took me about 5 minutes but it works out perfectly. definitely needs an aim assist or some controller optimizations though.
Old 2013-01-16, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Aim assist is for nubs...playing consoles is nub enough, but aim assist?

Sorry Rockit, I don't remember you. I remember some punk named WildVS though.
(=
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion