Planetside 2 Discussion Negativity. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "Not that anyone ever cussed in EverQuest" - SmokeJumper
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-07, 07:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
PredatorFour
Major

Re: Planetside 2 Discussion Negativity.

Originally Posted by OnyxD View Post
This forum really suffers from bitter vet syndrome...
Yeh i wonder why that is ???? .....................

The reality is that new players will always come in and enjoy the game and have far more energy and positivity.
Apart from the ones who cant figure out what to do in the game or how to play it because theres no tutorial and then dont play it again because the infantry game they are used to in other FPS`s is nearly non existent due to vehicle farming.

For what it's worth I remember PS1 being a complete laggy mess for a long time after release and I never could shake the floaty disconnected feeling whilst playing.
I wonder how long PS2 will be a laggy mess with bugs et al for ??

PS2 has the core foundations of being a much better game.... give it time.
No doubt it has potential, not sure with the direction they are taking it though.

Theres a reason `Bitter Vets` post here and its not due to rose tinted glasses..... Its for the games sake in the long run. We point out the games flaws and ask why alot of the aspects that made the original great and unique, are not in the sequel. All in the hope that it might get changed for the better.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Brutal Magikarp View Post
Shouldn't we just have a separate forum for complains relating to the game?

All the negativity in this forum really sets such a horrible mood on this site.
No.

At times it may seem that there are rather too many posts harking back to "the good old days", but if PS1 vets are able to offer constructive criticism and propose feasible solutions based upon their experience then surely that is a good thing, even if I sometimes don't agree on a particular point (I really like the Indar Hex system, for instance).

I'm all for informed debate; pretending that everything is rosey by brushing problems under the carpet is hardly for the good of the game in the long run.

Edit - that said, I really don't see the point in posts that do nothing but whine; what is needed is solutions.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-01-07 at 07:23 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Katanauk View Post
When PS1 goes free to play, watch this forums light up in a massive pile of pure happiness and positivity.

Until then, step back and the warmth of the flames isn't so bad.
when ps1 goes free nobody gonna play it. ps2 much better u made bro?
Old 2013-01-07, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
Lol is this guy for real? I can't tell.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rolfski
Major

The negativity in this forum is indeed getting ridiculous. It seems that drama queens have totally taken over this place.

Sure, the game needs improvement but I'm still having a lot of fun playing it on a daily base.
Old 2013-01-07, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hamma
PSU Admin

This forum really suffers from bitter vet syndrome... Players looking through rose tinted glasses at the past from a jaded and world weary perspective. You see it every entrenched game community forum as time progresses.
This forum suffers from realist syndrome. There are plenty of new players who have the exact same concerns as veterans.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-07, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
OnyxD
Private

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
This forum suffers from realist syndrome. There are plenty of new players who have the exact same concerns as veterans.
I should clarify that my post isn't about the valid constructive criticism, of which there is plenty. It's about the whining, bitterness, and general lack of perspective when voicing those concerns.

The sky isn't falling but you would think it was by the general mood here. Of particular problem is that there are forum members that will post in each and every thread to derail it into a whinge about their own personal opinion of the game. Mostly one line throwaway posts that are of no help at all.

Last edited by OnyxD; 2013-01-07 at 09:05 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 2013-01-07, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
Not many people would play PS1 if it goes F2P; probably only vets and the occasional curious passer by. SoE are hardly likely to market it heavily. I might dip my toe in the water.. or maybe not as I'm enjoying PS2 so much.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

The game will be given praise, the second after I think it deserves praise.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-01-07, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
sneeek
Private

Speaking as somebody who plays a moderate amount (about 3.5 days total, since launch), I don't really see how the game is "shit" or "broken". It needs improvements in certain areas, but I'm enjoying myself in-game. The infantry combat is infinitely better than in the original Planetside.
Old 2013-01-07, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
DaytimeMango
Private

I signed up for this forum just to agree with the OP. The first thread I found here was something like "who has quit?". Anyone who has ever played an MMO at launch knows that's a stupid topic for several reasons. People claim they're 'quitting' games all the time it doesn't mean anything, it's anecdotal. I wouldn't be surprised to find the rate of people who claim to quit games and actually don't is roughly equivalent to how many people claim they will quit cigarettes and then don't (hint: I'm on my third attempt to quit cigs this week). Secondly, most games experience a drop in players after the initial launch, people play and try it out, then move on; the average gamer doesn't play the same game for three months. I'm not going to waste time listing all the reasons (holidays, etc), but the point is the thread provided nothing except for a place to cry and circlejerk with others. I was shocked to find out the thread was started by the site creator. Maybe half the threads on page one offer some discussion, the rest of them are stupid topics like "omg soe wont refund the money i paid them a month ago for a game i played 200 hours of". God forbid I venture onto the second page.

I've put 300 hours into this game over the last month and a half and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. In all honestly I only see two major problems: poor optimization prevents many people from playing, and parts of the community are terrible. It seems like everyone thought this game was going to be released so polished that Jesus could shine his shoes with it, which is illogical because I can't name a major online game released since I was born (1989, you're welcome) that didn't encounter problems on release. Perfection is an ideal that can never be reached. If the biggest problem in your life is that once every four hours you have to restart Planetside 2 because the screen flickers, consider yourself lucky.

As someone who only just discovered Planetside 2 I really want a place to discuss ideas that doesn't remind me of the official forums and its unqualified whining. It would be nice to see analysis of class weapons, strengths and weaknesses, useful map/base locations, uncommon hints (ig: how to get up amp station walls without being LA); instead there's posts like "who has quit". Nobody cares who quit except for people who need to validate their own reasons for quitting. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the content on Reddit is miles ahead of the content on this forum. I think half the people on this forum need to stop playing Planetside for a few months, and stop taking life so seriously.
Old 2013-01-07, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Crator
Major General

^ @DaytimeMango I kind of agree with you about the "Who has quit" thread. Not very constructive. That's exactly the reason I ignored it. You're going to get stuff like that on any public forum though. Having said that, the site admins here do a pretty good job at keeping things under control... You just have less of it here vs. the official forums because there is less people who frequent them. Sometime people get angry/upset and feel the need to vent. It happens, I've done it.
Old 2013-01-07, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Rolfski
Major

Hamma's "who has quit" post was indeed a mistake but everyone makes mistakes and other then that, he does his stinking best to keep this forum constructive. Problem is that with an overpopulation of (often bitter) vets in this forum, this can become quite a challenge sometimes compared to reddit or the official forum. Especially when people start cranking out topics with ranting titles like "Fire Smed" or "Planetside 2, what a joke of a game,it does not even deserve to be called planetside".

Of particular problem is that there are forum members that will post in each and every thread to derail it into a whinge about their own personal opinion of the game. Mostly one line throwaway posts that are of no help at all.
Exactly this is what is the problem atm: People derailing every thread into a rant that is not constructive or helpful at all.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-01-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Hamma's "who has quit" post was indeed a mistake but everyone makes mistakes and other then that.
No it wasnt a mistake. It was perhaps the best way to show the devs why people didnt enjoy their game. It was to condense the prevalent negative issues concerning the game into one thread. It is infact very informative and useful info (in the right hands)

People derailing EVERY thread into non constructive ranting ? I think thats an assumption.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-01-07 at 12:22 PM.
Old 2013-01-07, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Rolfski
Major

Although I have no doubt it was done with the best intentions, Hamma's thread was giving a very negative signal from this community, giving the idea that this game was broken beyond repair and people were massively leaving this game.

And I dare to challenge you finding a topic that has not a rant in it, because most topics have rants in them and some people seem to rant in every post they reply to so it's not that much of an exaggeration actually.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-01-07 at 01:21 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion