IR/NV - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Turning franchised slogans into quotes since 2003!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-11, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Binkley
Sergeant

Re: IR/NV

I haven't found these that useful for infantry and tanks. The range is so limited. I certainly don't use them in the daylight. I don't do air much, so I can't comment there.

I do think they should be blinded in the daylight and therefore useful only at night, real NV stuff is.
Old 2013-01-11, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
DovahTerran
Corporal

The range gets pretty limited, but you can see halfway across a Tech Plant's courtyard with it and it lights up any unit clear as day. It does seem a bit overpowered but very situational. I personally can't get used to the instant change in contrast and color from normal vision to NV/IR and back. Too odd.

To me it seems kind of like Predator Vision, or Alien Vision from that AVP game that came out in the early 2000's. It's excellent at detecting motion, but it destroys any contrast in terrain, and cancels out at a certain range. Also kind of like Night Eye in TES:IV for those that have played it.

Like others have said, it also cancels out any zoom effect. That greatly reduces it's usability at long range, unless you like picking pixels and hoping you get a hit. I think it's fine as it is. I've played plenty of war games where the cockpit screen is rendered as a black and white image that picks out vehicles and infantry very easily.

It's a simple tradeoff. Range and normal optics or IR/NV and heavily distorted visual image and color.
Old 2013-01-11, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
sneeek
Private

Thermal imagers, like the PS2 IR/NV sight seems to resemble, are not blind during daytime. At worst case, contrast would be lower during daytime due to higher ambient temperatures. Modern imagers no doubt have automatic gain and dynamic range control so that they automatically adjust to night and day.

Image intensifiers work using a photomultiplier, and they are effectively blind in the daytime because they are callibrated for extremely low light levels.

So any arguments in favour of nerfing the IR/NV scope really need to be made in terms of balance, not on how close it is to reality.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ir/nv scopes arent very well ballanced. Its too easy to pick out targets in all but the longest range fights. If I was going to balance these Inwould shorten the effective range for infantry. For vehicles I would shorten their range and make them so if your going over a certain speed all you would see is a smear. Both infantry and vehicle nv would not work very well at all during the day.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Vehicle based IR/Thermal optics shouldn't highlight Infantry at all. And Infantry based IR shouldn't highlight cloaked Infiltrators in any way.
Old 2013-01-11, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Chewy
Major

There needs to be a difference between thermal, IR, and NV. As they are now it's just a Thermal scanner with color filters. A bad thermal at that when a world of ICE is brighter than a field of sand.
Old 2013-01-11, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

I think its fine as is.

During the day its much more limited than a regular scope but it is better at finding people in vegetation and in the shadows - as it should be.
Old 2013-01-12, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Towe
Private

Im really not a fan of the Infiltrators should get a new cert tree for that.

I mean shouldnt you be able to hide as normal infantry too? I like sitting in bushes and stuff, but as is you just cant do it in PS2...
Old 2013-01-12, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

"normal' infantry ingame and IRL can be seen by IR.

Using an IR scope in PS2 has serious drawback.

Stop whining that everything isnt perfect for you. I have played an Inf a lot - IR scope are not whats holding the class back.
Old 2013-01-12, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

what about giving them a 10 second timer?

Old 2013-01-12, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Towe View Post
What is this bullshit with IR and NV working perfectly during day, even showing enemies much better than normal sights?

Imo there should be almost no contrast on NV during the day, IR could get a LITTLE more contrast but shouldnt be able to see terrain.

Just a quick thought about how to solve this, I would be fine with almost everything that made it a stupid move to use those in daylight.

Oh yea, and make night last a bit longer, otherwise it might not be worth it switching to IR/NV. Maybe a longer night on Amerish and a shorter one on Indar? Just a thought, discuss...
I haven't seen night play since Beta, at least that I remember. hate to bring this back up but 7 or 5 hour cycles would help.

Old 2013-01-12, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Killjaeden
Private

I don't see the problem with infiltrators... the cloak doesn't make you invisible, just harder to detect. If you are so blunt and walk right infront of the enemy he will see you with NV or pure eyesight anyway. To spot a cloaker you have to view through it first, which nobody does permanently except he is in a firefight anyway, or has indicators that an infiltrator is in the vicinity (decloak noise).
The NV has crappy range, if i compare it to the range i usually engage as heavy (up to 200m). If you want to go undetected, keep out of it's range. As far as daylight goes - most of the time you can see your target just as well as with the NV... At least at the distance where NV works. And with normal eyes you don't have a ADS-movement penaltie, so you can use it all the time without drawback... Nerf normal eyesight!

I never use it at day because losing periphal vision is bad, losing three quarter of your range is even worse. I only use it at the rare occasion of night-fights in facilities, especially against VS since they have default nighttime camo.
Old 2013-01-12, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Towe
Private

Did you forget the vehicles?
Old 2013-01-12, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Strategy
Private

Yes, why not nerf it? They're going to nerf everything in time anyway because, unfortunately, players don't want to learn to improve.
Old 2013-01-12, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

I don't know why people think that how things currently work "IRL" has any bearing on a game set in the distant future with lore that essentially makes it pure fantasy. But just to fully put that line of argument 6 foot under in regard to IR/thermal know that technology allowing for cloaking from thermal/IR optics is already possible "IRL".
http://www.physnews.com/physics-news/cluster228847635

So it's just down to game balance. Again in my view it is not balanced that vehicles can get optics that make seeing Infantry so easy, even if they have some cover. Also that's it's not balanced that vehicles or Infantry can have easy access to optics/sights that completely nullify an Infiltrators primary ability of the cloak.. which should be noted is possible to be seen without any aid already, albeit no where near as easily as with the use of some of these optics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion