A new metric for player skill. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There is no god but Hamma, and Marsman is the messenger of Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-15, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

Re: A new metric for player skill.

For the sake of trying to define what the "best" metric would be for a game like Planetside 2, here is my proposal:

Looking at my stats page, I see there's an entry for Damage dealt. I propose that SOE lump this data point along with Damage healed, Damage repaired, hacks, etc...

Then track this over time. So something like a burster max will still generate a good score, even if he never gets kills, since he's performing his role as a "deterrant". Same with a medic that heals, or an engineer that repairs.

You could have one global value, and then a break down of the same value, but by class and by vehicle.

Only thing it doesn't account for, is the "bait" value...
Old 2013-01-15, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Assist
Contributor
Major

I think the best metric for determining how good an individual is at the game is how many hate tells that person gets. I'm fairly certain that makes me the best player ever.

In about an hour yesterday I recieved tells about being a lib whore, auto shotty noob, vx6-7 VSOPcantwaitfornerf whore, and an OrionisOPusearealgun whore. Oh, and I forgot the "You just leech off your zerg outfit you noob".
  1. Not in an Outfit
  2. 43 lifetime kills with the Liberator
  3. Didnt even use the vx6-7 yesterday

Don't even count the "I can't wait until you're banned" hackusations.
Old 2013-01-15, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
S/M also has potential to be improved, by tweaking the amount of XP awarded for certain actions to more truely reflect skill and effort. For example:

- Introduce a defence bonus for a successful defence of a base (dependent upon how far the enemy had succeeded in taking over the base)

- Reduce the XP awarded if the player killed is within say 10m of their spawn point.

- Reduce the XP awarded from kills by HE rounds etc.

- increase the reward for capping a point.

etc etc.
Did you play PS1? Cuz if you didn't that post is hilarious to me. If you did play PS1, I'll just add your post into my "vet talking sense/truth" collection.
Old 2013-01-15, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Cyridius
Private

SPM isn't twice as bad at all. In reality you get just as much if not more SPM reviving and repairing and generally supporting crap than you do killwhorring.

Honestly there should be for me some stats shown here;

Health Repaired
Health Healed
Revives
Ammo Resupplies
SPM
Bases Captured/Defended
And K/D should be shown somewhere but never be given the importance of other parts
Old 2013-01-15, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Drakkonan
Corporal

Originally Posted by coconut View Post

You also mentioned that SPM disadvantaged people spending time at the warp gate. Why is that a problem? Fine with me if all the slackers get a bad score.

Outfit members who wait for platoons to form up should have their loss made up by added effectiveness on the battlefield. If not, their outfit should learn to spend less time forming up ("administration" efficiency) and get better at winning on the battlefield (combat efficiency). These things matter.
That's not the way this game works. If I want the highest SPM, I'm going to login, hotdrop to the nearest biolab farm, and sit on the airpad throwing grenades and rezzing people. To a lesser extent, if I want a higher SPM, I can just go to the nearest zerg fight immediately. Outfit organized activities are generally far more useful, but rarely provide the points of the aforementioned activities. Even with dynamic xp, this won't change. 'Per death' works because there's never an excuse to die. You'll be put into situations by your outfit where you're more likely to die than you would be had you just gone with the zerg, but dying is always avoidable.

We shouldn't feel guilty about participating in 'fun' raids because they don't provide the point rate that zerging does. We shouldn't be punished even further for trying to have fun in our own ways with the game, or as you call it, "slacking". We're already being indirectly punished by not getting the experience we would be if we were fighting.

I'm not trying to say I spend all day dicking around in the warp gate, but if I chose to, I'd be nice to know my primary stat wasn't continuously decreasing.

Prepare for an influx of rambo medics.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Did you play PS1? Cuz if you didn't that post is hilarious to me. If you did play PS1, I'll just add your post into my "vet talking sense/truth" collection.
Nope, didn't play PS1.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
TheRageTrain
Private

XP per minute.. Why give any stats.. just slam the score there and we\r done.

I\m not going to compete for any score per minutes. I\m not a frigging medic nor will play one to get a good xp per minute.

Well best resognition is when you get tell\s what say..something like, not you again and yells to pull vehicles and maxes because he\s here.
Old 2013-01-16, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I ignore stats. I don't care if you are 5.5 KPD or .055 KPD.

My KPD would be a lot higher if I ran with the zerg instead of picking fights I'm not on the ideal side of.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion