Tunnels wont really fix anything - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Shockingly refreshing
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Eliphas
Private

Re: Tunnels wont really fix anything

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
If something worked in PS1, WHY are they not re-introducing it for PS2?
^
This
Old 2013-01-13, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
I don't LOL very often. You've brightened up my day

Has it ever been explained WHY the devs don't want to introduce PS1 elements? I heard some rubbish remark about this being a new game but not a remake (or words to that effect) but that doesn't actually qualify as a reasonable explanation.

If something worked in PS1, WHY are they not re-introducing it for PS2?
Most of the devs never played PS1, and many of them have been up front about saying how they like new FPS and wanted to make PS2 feel more like them.

There was also a post a year or two ago explaining that they didn't want to just remake Planetside, they wanted to "make the game their own".
Old 2013-01-13, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Beerbeer
Major

Wasn't ps1 actually built and developed by Verant Interactive, sort of a wholly owned/absorbed subsidiary?

Yeah, I doubt those guys are still around. However, I think they did a much better job balancing (at least initially) the holy trinity of infantry, ground and air.
Old 2013-01-13, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Rockit
Banned

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
Wasn't ps1 actually built and developed by Verant Interactive, sort of a wholly owned/absorbed subsidiary?

Yeah, I doubt those guys are still around. However, I think they did a much better job balancing (at least initially) the holy trinity of infantry, ground and air.
Sony spun off their PC games division and it went through several names I think, something like RedEye, 989 and then Verant. Then they brought them back in under the Sony Motion Pictures group but SOE is still a wholly owned subsidiary LLC of Sony. SOE reports to the SCE division now (Sony Computer Entertainment now so Smed's boss is the head of SCE). Not sure how many are still around from those days though.

Oh and about balancing... it had to be much easier with only 3 empire specific MBT's. Much more common pool vehicles in PS1.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot about the ES buggies. Wish we had buggies back. They could fill a void and cut down on some of the heavy hitting vehicles. Bang bus were different too but not that much. Thinking about this. Buggies might be the needed missing link. Jack up the cost and timers on the tanks so if you needed a ride better than an ATV it might do the trick. Hmmmm...

Last edited by Rockit; 2013-01-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 2013-01-13, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by KaskaMatej View Post
I dunno... i seem to find a hole in the terrain at least every couple of play sessions...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-01-13, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Most of the devs never played PS1, and many of them have been up front about saying how they like new FPS and wanted to make PS2 feel more like them.

There was also a post a year or two ago explaining that they didn't want to just remake Planetside, they wanted to "make the game their own".
Any of the dev's that have any sway on the direction that development is going used to play the original Planetside.

My take on it is that they feel that Planetside wasn't as successful as it could have been due to it being too slow/involved/complicated. They did their market research for PS2, both in what was popular (Battlefield), and the elements that made people love Planetside so much (most common result being "massive battles").

Unfortunately the reductionist results of their market research left out all the little things that made people love Planetside so much. Hopefully we will see the lions share of these little things return in some form or another over the course of their 5 year plan ;p

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2013-01-13, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Furber
First Sergeant

You're right about it not fixing the whole base, but tunnels are definitely a step in the right direction (assuming they don't fuck it up terribly).

I know this is too hopefully, but what I'd love to see come out of adding tunnels is a larger embrace of indoor combat. I'd have to see what they have in mind first, but if they had a more expansive underground indoor area that would be pretty sweet. If even just for one facility type.
Old 2013-01-13, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I dunno... i seem to find a hole in the terrain at least every couple of play sessions...
I call it a Hawking Hole.
Old 2013-01-13, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Tunnels will improve the situation. So long as the attacking force actually has to use them to actually control the base.

It will not, however, solve the other core issues.

Old 2013-01-13, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Sunrock
Major

God not one more of those "Help some one kill me nerf every thing now threads..."
Old 2013-01-14, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
EVILoHOMER
Major

They need to just put a roof over the courtyard and make it so it's a big infantry battle inside like the Bio-dome.

Sorted.
Old 2013-01-14, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Subedai
Private

Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
Kinda off topic but it looks base related. What the heck is this? Putting giant squid in those new tunnels?

http://www.planetside-universe.com/media.php?view=2262

Higby give any details?
Hossin?
Old 2013-01-14, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
ringring
Contributor
General

More than just the tunnels they probably need to move the SCU (Amp stations and Tech Plant).

~Imaging an assault is going well and the attackers force the defenders out of the main building.

In the Amp Station, tunnels or not that is game over sonce the attackers have easy access to the SCU and even if they don't immediately blow the SCU they can move a AMS into the main building and therefore be able to reinforce more quickly from the AMS than the defenders from the spawn room. Defenders can do little.

SCU should be moved nearer to the spawn rooms (or spawns themselves are made destructable).
Old 2013-01-14, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
God not one more of those "Help some one kill me nerf every thing now threads..."
I didn't follow that tbh.
Old 2013-01-14, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Figment
Lieutenant General

Asked Higby by tweet if we could see the new spawnbuildings ahead of time, if the CC would move into the same building (really hope they also make the buildings centralised to outposts) and with regards to tunnels if the CC would move underground as well and what the logistical distance to travel would be from the nearest enemy Sunderer option and spawns.

No response as of yet.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion