Science vs Religion - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why can't I just shoot out the tires?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-25, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Evilmp
Master Sergeant

Re: Science vs Religion

Just one thing:

You can't argue with an entity that makes up new "facts" to counter reason.

It's idiotic to try as every debate turns into a stalemate.

Alright, one more thing:

Religion, by default, is a control. I've not seen a religion that doesn't have some sort of punishment if you stray.

You don't need anyone or anything to know right from wrong.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Couple of things, atheism isn't a religion
I put it in the category in which most people file it under: "religious belief" because the opposite of religion is having none. It's pedantic semantics, really. Technically, your race is human but I bet when you submit paperwork you define your race as black, white, Asian, Arab, Pacific Islander, whatever. That's an ethnicity and skin colour.

Side (irrelevant) note: whenever I see that block on paperwork I put down "other" and write in "human".
Old 2011-09-25, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Side (irrelevant) note: whenever I see that block on paperwork I put down "other" and write in "human".
Nice! I'm going to have to start doing that I hate racism.
Old 2011-09-25, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

I put it in the category in which most people file it under: "religious belief" because the opposite of religion is having none. It's pedantic semantics, really. Technically, your race is human but I bet when you submit paperwork you define your race as black, white, Asian, Arab, Pacific Islander, whatever. That's an ethnicity and skin colour.
I just kinda consider along the same lines that if atheism is a religion, then not collecting baseball cards is a hobby

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2011-09-25, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
I just kinda consider along the same lines that if atheism is a religion, then not collecting baseball cards is a hobby
The word "atheist" and "atheism" is derived from the Greek word "atheos", which means "without god". It does not mean, per se, that atheism is a complete and utter lack of spiritual, religious, or deist beliefs. There are atheists who are spiritual/spiritualists. There are atheists who are irreligious, which does not necessarily mean without religion - it can also mean you are indifferent towards religion. There are certain types of religions which are classified as an atheistic religion - Jainism, which is kindness towards all living things, and certain types of Buddhism, for example. They are still religions, despite being atheistic in nature. Ultimately, because it is NOT a specific type of religion, it is up to the individual how to interpret their beliefs. There's no First Atheist Church of Springfield where all the little atheists go to sing "Amazing Lack of Grace" and "The Old Rugged Cross Never Existed". So you as an atheist or I as an atheist determine what our beliefs are.

You can define it how you like, but because it deals with religious beliefs (zero is still an integer, as it were) it is considered a religious preference for the purpose of indicating what your religion is. Ironic: you have no religion, you're atheist, but the fuckers on Facebook still have it listed as a religious choice.

Last edited by Firefly; 2011-09-25 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2011-09-25, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
duomaxwl
Captain

Science. I believe in the big electron. It just is.
Old 2011-09-26, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

The word "atheist" and "atheism" is derived from the Greek word "atheos", which means "without god". It does not mean, per se, that atheism is a complete and utter lack of spiritual, religious, or deist beliefs. There are atheists who are spiritual/spiritualists. There are atheists who are irreligious, which does not necessarily mean without religion - it can also mean you are indifferent towards religion. There are certain types of religions which are classified as an atheistic religion - Jainism, which is kindness towards all living things, and certain types of Buddhism, for example. They are still religions, despite being atheistic in nature. Ultimately, because it is NOT a specific type of religion, it is up to the individual how to interpret their beliefs. There's no First Atheist Church of Springfield where all the little atheists go to sing "Amazing Lack of Grace" and "The Old Rugged Cross Never Existed". So you as an atheist or I as an atheist determine what our beliefs are.

You can define it how you like, but because it deals with religious beliefs (zero is still an integer, as it were) it is considered a religious preference for the purpose of indicating what your religion is. Ironic: you have no religion, you're atheist, but the fuckers on Facebook still have it listed as a religious choice.
It's a religious choice because you can choose to have no religion or have one, that's the choice on the Facebook status thing. Anyway any spiritualism is added onto atheism, atheism as you said is just 'no gods'.
Old 2011-09-26, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Being able to say "we don't know (yet)" is a big part of science, but not religion. Just because we don't understand something doesn't mean a god is the default explanation.
Old 2011-09-27, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I don't see any charities, shelters, and support intitutions in the name of Science either.
I really like that line, lol. But if said charity isn't based on any religion does that make it count towards science? There just aren't many scientific breakthroughs in charity work, I'm just saying that's an "apples and oranges" statement
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-09-27, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
I really like that line, lol. But if said charity isn't based on any religion does that make it count towards science? There just aren't many scientific breakthroughs in charity work, I'm just saying that's an "apples and oranges" statement
Not shelters, but many non-profits are based on medical research which is close. MDA, Heart Association, many cancer research and many non-profit low income housing groups. As I said religions do their part, but hardly a monopoly.
Old 2011-09-27, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Krowe
Sergeant

Religion, imo, is a decent way to have increased self-esteem and to meet other people with similar beliefs.

Science, on the other hand, paves the way for newer ways to make life easier, more productive, or entertaining.

When I consider these base concepts, I honestly believe they have no room to meddle with each other or even attack each other, simply because in the end they have different core objectives.

Oh and anybody who wants to shove religion down society's throat can fuck off.
Old 2011-09-28, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Religion, imo, is a decent way to have increased self-esteem and to meet other people with similar beliefs.

Science, on the other hand, paves the way for newer ways to make life easier, more productive, or entertaining.

When I consider these base concepts, I honestly believe they have no room to meddle with each other or even attack each other, simply because in the end they have different core objectives.
Another way you might give someone self-esteem is to convince them from an early age that when they hit about 30 they will become some sort of super-human/super powered thing. Sure, they would feel better about themselves.

By your logic science can have nothing to say about the truth of this idea because they have "different core objectives".

Similarly, would you use that reasoning to defend astrology? It might have different core objectives, that doesn't mean science can have nothing to say about it.
Old 2011-09-28, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by MadPenguin View Post
Another way you might give someone self-esteem is to convince them from an early age that when they hit about 30 they will become some sort of super-human/super powered thing. Sure, they would feel better about themselves.
I disagree wholeheartedly. The reason is because once they get to 30 and they realize they don't have super-human powers one comes to the conclusion that they've been lied to. At this point they reject the people/ideas that fed them these lies. Same thing happens with religion.
Old 2011-09-28, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. The reason is because once they get to 30 and they realize they don't have super-human powers one comes to the conclusion that they've been lied to. At this point they reject the people/ideas that fed them these lies. Same thing happens with religion.
Didn't really bother me when my parents lied about Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. Also no one would fall for that super-human stuff at 30. It's a bit unrealistic.

The trick is that with Religion (well Christianity) is that you don't find out until you're already dead. So no one is the wiser since they can't ask the person what happened. "When you die you get to go Heaven if you're good!" or "You get 72 virgins!". Perfect strategy since humans are extremely gullible, no offense. Works better when you get those ideas in when they're young. As adults we're a lot more skeptical toward new ideas.
Old 2011-09-28, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Its just an example . The reasoning holds, if you dont like this example i will refer you to the astrology example, people go to their graves believing that stuff and it makes them feel better.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum