Why I quit PS1 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wanna see my jackhammer? :brow:
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-07, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Why I quit PS1

I like playing support, cause playing frontal assault can get boring after a while.

My favorite unit in PS1 was the AMS. I liked scouting ahead, then setting up an AMS and defending it with mines and spitfires. While the CR5's were playing Rommel wannabe's I was out there setting up spawn points and actually directing the flow of the battle. Each player that spawned on my AMS was my little chess piece.

AMS kept getting OS'ed.

I also liked playing anti-mine grenadier. I'd load up my rifle with EMP grenades (forgot the name of common rifle but it had a grenade launcher). When assaulting gates, usually the courtyard was full of mines, and I could simultaneously engage enemy infantry and take out mines with EMP grenades. It was a slow process but It still worked fine and I liked it.

Eventually everyone got CR and they just OS EMP the courtyard in every battle. So that playstyle was obsolete.

I also liked using delaying tactics. My last memory of playing PS1:

I decided to guard a back door from an attack. I strategically placed one mine behind each tree, so if an enemy were to take cover behind a tree opposite of where I placed myself, they would step on a mine. Then I'd put spitfires up in a crossfire pattern on the other side of trees facing me. Took me 10 minutes to setup and plan. It wasn't a very lethal setup, it was designed to slow the enemy down from accessing the back door. I place myself into defensive position.

15 minutes later a truck full of 5 enemies pulls up, they all hop out and I start shooting at them. They all take cover behind a tree, I hear 2 mines go off and grin a little. Nobody gets killed, but that's not my goal, my goal is to slow them down. I keep taking potshots at them, and I hear some of my spitfire turrets go off, and they destroy a couple of my spitfires.

Still no enemies dead, but that's not my goal, my goal is to delay them. They could have flanked my position and killed me, since my setup was pretty much at a 90 degree angle in between the trees and the back door. That was my weakness.

I delay them for a good 90 seconds until an EMP OS goes off and destroys everything. I exit the game and unsubscribe.

This an anti-OS topic? Not really. I am interested in tactics, counter tactics, counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter-counter tactics... OS reduces tactics, it simplifies the game, it dumbs it down. I am against reducing tactics, like spawning on top of the squad leader (yuck).

This isn't about PS1, it's about Tactics and dumbing down PS2.

I can't really give PS2 examples since it's not a released game.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-07 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Re: Why I quit PS1

Let's hope OS isn't in PS2....
Old 2012-07-07, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Comet
First Sergeant

I think it was said somewhere that OS is planned to be in PS2.

I don't care for OS in Tribes Ascend either, it counters a lot of other tactics and has no counter for itself.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
I think it was said somewhere that OS is planned to be in PS2.

I don't care for OS in Tribes Ascend either, it counters a lot of other tactics and has no counter for itself.
It's not really a matter of not being able to counter OS that makes it "meh", it's how it narrows tactics down to one thing and one thing only: FRONTAL ASSAULT.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
I like playing support, cause playing frontal assault can get boring after a while.

My favorite unit in PS1 was the AMS. I liked scouting ahead, then setting up an AMS and defending it with mines and spitfires. While the CR5's were playing Rommel wannabe's I was out there setting up spawn points and actually directing the flow of the battle. Each player that spawned on my AMS was my little chess piece.

AMS kept getting OS'ed.

I also liked playing anti-mine grenadier. I'd load up my rifle with EMP grenades (forgot the name of common rifle but it had a grenade launcher). When assaulting gates, usually the courtyard was full of mines, and I could simultaneously engage enemy infantry and take out mines with EMP grenades. It was a slow process but It still worked fine and I liked it.

Eventually everyone got CR and they just OS EMP the courtyard in every battle. So that playstyle was obsolete.

I also liked using delaying tactics. My last memory of playing PS1:

I decided to guard a back door from an attack. I strategically placed one mine behind each tree, so if an enemy were to take cover behind a tree opposite of where I placed myself, they would step on a mine. Then I'd put spitfires up in a crossfire pattern on the other side of trees facing me. Took me 10 minutes to setup and plan. It wasn't a very lethal setup, it was designed to slow the enemy down from accessing the back door. I place myself into defensive position.

15 minutes later a truck full of 5 enemies pulls up, they all hop out and I start shooting at them. They all take cover behind a tree, I hear 2 mines go off and grin a little. Nobody gets killed, but that's not my goal, my goal is to slow them down. I keep taking potshots at them, and I hear some of my spitfire turrets go off, and they destroy a couple of my spitfires.

Still no enemies dead, but that's not my goal, my goal is to delay them. They could have flanked my position and killed me, since my setup was pretty much at a 90 degree angle in between the trees and the back door. That was my weakness.

I delay them for a good 90 seconds until an EMP OS goes off and destroys everything. I exit the game and unsubscribe.

This an anti-OS topic? Not really. I am interested in tactics, counter tactics, counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter-counter tactics... OS reduces tactics, it simplifies the game, it dumbs it down. I am against reducing tactics, like spawning on top of the squad leader (yuck).

This isn't about PS1, it's about Tactics and dumbing down PS2.

I can't really give PS2 examples since it's not a released game.
LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

Nothing as beeen (( dumb down )) in planetside 2 they have remoove some few vehicules to replace it by others who as the same roles it reduce the developpement cost and serve the same purpose ...

Also planetside 2 will be more action and front lines assault oriented Instead of having a (( hang around )) and Chill around gameplay some times

Planetside 2 isnt a pic nic like it was sometimes in Ps1

their will be more action more contestation over territory and Much more thing to do

Also down the road they will ad features vehicules etc.. depending on How much suport they have from the vast PC community !

All your post isnt about tactics since youll have a way more tactics and thing available to you in planetside 2

You talk about squad respawn ? This isnt tactical ? If i say i use Squad leader (( infiltrator )) who sneak up into a based and make their 9 squad member droping with pod on him this isnt a viable tactics ?

Sorry but all this dont make sens
Old 2012-07-07, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
You talk about squad respawn ? This isnt tactical ? If i say i use Squad leader (( infiltrator )) who sneak up into a based and make their 9 squad member droping with pod on him this isnt a viable tactics ?

Sorry but all this dont make sens
COD infantry combat where enemies randomly spawn all over the place is not tactical, it is randomly shooting all over the place.

Tactics implies realism, not wackamole or Donkey Kong. At least an ounce of realism would be sufficient.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Littleman
First Lieutenant

COD infantry combat where enemies randomly spawn all over the place is not tactical, it is randomly shooting all over the place.

Tactics implies realism, not wackamole or Donkey Kong. At least an ounce of realism would be sufficient.
The year is twenty-eight-hundred... something. Interstellar travel is possible, and you have guys on one side spewing plasma energy all over the place obeying some cryptic disembodied voice, yet one guy with the ranking privileges to call in ODST's to his position is beyond the realm of suspension of disbelief?

Last I heard, it's about 3 squad members tops, with a few minutes cooldown before the squad can spawn on top of their leader again. An infiltrator or LA getting behind enemy lines would only be capable of summoning a small team of commandos, however effective they may be.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
The year is twenty-eight-hundred... something. Interstellar travel is possible, and you have guys on one side spewing plasma energy all over the place obeying some cryptic disembodied voice, yet one guy with the ranking privileges to call in ODST's to his position is beyond the realm of suspension of disbelief?
You know how stupid Star Wars movies would have looked if Storm Troopers just randomly appeared all over the place?

"Looks like you managed to cut off our only escape route."

"Maybe you'd like it back in your cell Princess."

5 storm troopers spawn in behind them. OH yeah that would look so cool.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2012-07-07, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SixShooter
Captain

You know how stupid Star Wars movies would have looked if Storm Troopers just randomly appeared all over the place?

"Looks like you managed to cut off our only escape route."

"Maybe you'd like it back in your cell Princess."

5 storm troopers spawn in behind them. OH yeah that would look so cool.
Wow man, you're starting a lot of angry threads today that are all pretty much about the same thing Have you even seen how squad spawning works? It's not like BF3 where they just appear, you can see the drop pods from a mile away and it takes a decent amount of time to hit the ground. Also, the cooldown timer before you can do it again is pretty long so if you die right after squad spawning you'll have to find a hard spawn point.

I know you like to use the term "dumbing it down" alot but maybe you should play the game before you freak out about it. Just a suggestion man

Old 2012-07-07, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Runlikethewind
Private

I am interested in tactics, counter tactics, counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter tactics, counter-counter-counter-counter tactics... OS reduces tactics, it simplifies the game, it dumbs it down. I am against reducing tactics, like spawning on top of the squad leader (yuck).
If this is true then you should have known the OS's where coming as they are a part of the game and should have had a counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter strategy in place. Like maybe wait outside the base for the OS to go off then come in and attack them from behind as they all run down the backdoor into the base or something.

And did anyone else notice how all the examples in the OP where missing the most important strategic element in PS1, that is A SQUAD? You're complaining about tactics and your trying to defend a backdoor all by yourself? Really?
Old 2012-07-07, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Runlikethewind View Post
If this is true then you should have known the OS's where coming as they are a part of the game and should have had a counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter-counter strategy in place. Like maybe wait outside the base for the OS to go off then come in and attack them from behind as they all run down the backdoor into the base or something.

And did anyone else notice how all the examples in the OP where missing the most important strategic element in PS1, that is A SQUAD? You're complaining about tactics and your trying to defend a backdoor all by yourself? Really?
A) There is no counter tactic to pushing the button.

B) It was an EMP OS which took out my deployables, and it completely destroyed the delaying tactic.

C) In real war defensive fortifications requires less soldiers to defend an area. That's what defense is all about.

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Wow man, you're starting a lot of angry threads today that are all pretty much about the same thing Have you even seen how squad spawning works? It's not like BF3 where they just appear, you can see the drop pods from a mile away and it takes a decent amount of time to hit the ground. Also, the cooldown timer before you can do it again is pretty long so if you die right after squad spawning you'll have to find a hard spawn point.

I know you like to use the term "dumbing it down" alot but maybe you should play the game before you freak out about it. Just a suggestion man
So what if you can spot them a mile away, you could also spot someone a mile away in BF2142 but that didn't matter.

So what if there's a cooldown timer, how did the cooldown timer work out with OS? Not very good since everyone and their pet hamster had one.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SixShooter
Captain

So what if you can spot them a mile away, you could also spot someone a mile away in BF2142 but that didn't matter.

So what if there's a cooldown timer, how did the cooldown timer work out with OS? Not very good since everyone and their pet hamster had one.
Tactically this was a brilliant move to go with the "so what" defensive manuver here. Well played sir

I have been playing a fair amount of PS1 lately and I rarely get OS'd. Maybe it's because I'm not camping out waiting to get OS's while trying to delay the enemy. Did you know that a really good way to delay the enemy is to kill them and make them have to respawn?. When I do happen to eat an OS I certainly don't throw a fit and rage quit. I simply respawn and get back to the battle.

I'm still not sure why you're so mad about a game you've never played. Maybe PS2 is just not the game for you. I don't know which games are out there that can cater to elitists who a above such dumbed down games as PS2 but I wish you well on your journey. Remeber man, it's just a game

Old 2012-07-07, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Tactically this was a brilliant move to go with the "so what" defensive manuver here. Well played sir

I have been playing a fair amount of PS1 lately and I rarely get OS'd.
Again if you actually read my post, I am complaining about the ElectroMagneticPulse OS, not the other one. The ElectroMagneticPulse OS has a much shorter cooldown and much larger radius.
Old 2012-07-07, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Runlikethewind
Private

A) There is no counter tactic to pushing the button.

B) It was an EMP OS which took out my deployables, and it completely destroyed the delaying tactic.

C) In real war defensive fortifications requires less soldiers to defend an area. That's what defense is all about.
I don't know. You talk about tactics and counter tactics then you give up and quit when someone else comes up with a counter to your counter. Its a game not real life, you play the rules of the game not some fake idea about how the game should be. You want to delay them? why not deploy an ams right outside the backdoor? As soon as they roll up they'll do the same thing anyone in PS1 does when they see an enemy ams, the shoot it, buying you several seconds of delay. Then they OS you're deployables, just like you should have known they would, and rush the backdoor. And what do they find on the other side? A pile of boomers. You don't even need to be on the trigger, just seeing those boomers will cause them to stop and deal with them (and I'm pretty sure they would not have been taken out by the OS since they would be inside, although I could be wrong). Point is, if you're so into strategy and counter strategy why quit when you fail, why not come up with a new strategy? Even if they didn't OS a good squad would have sent in some reavers or something to take out your deployables moments before they pull up. Another counter strategy to your strategy. Really what I see in your op is this http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...-survivor.html Scrub.
Old 2012-07-07, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Runlikethewind View Post
I don't know. You talk about tactics and counter tactics then you give up and quit when someone else comes up with a counter to your counter. Its a game not real life, you play the rules of the game not some fake idea about how the game should be. You want to delay them? why not deploy an ams right outside the backdoor? As soon as they roll up they'll do the same thing anyone in PS1 does when they see an enemy ams, the shoot it, buying you several seconds of delay. Then they OS you're deployables, just like you should have known they would, and rush the backdoor. And what do they find on the other side? A pile of boomers. You don't even need to be on the trigger, just seeing those boomers will cause them to stop and deal with them (and I'm pretty sure they would not have been taken out by the OS since they would be inside, although I could be wrong). Point is, if you're so into strategy and counter strategy why quit when you fail, why not come up with a new strategy? Even if they didn't OS a good squad would have sent in some reavers or something to take out your deployables moments before they pull up. Another counter strategy to your strategy. Really what I see in your op is this http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playi...-survivor.html Scrub.
When you compare some thinking in placement, time taken, certifications involved, etc... to build the defence, and ... getting your CUD out and clicking on a button.... it's rather obvious.
The EMP/OS thing has been put in place for the lazies.
Add to this the current availability of all this due to how stupid the CR system is, and you get frustration by people seeing their work easily dispatched without even more than 2 seconds of thinking and a click of a mouse. It's not like OS or EMP is anything advanced (please, don't even come up with the term "tactic" for this).

It's rather strange from a game design perspective, to put in place a whole content on defense and deployables setup, taking time to do, all this to give all tools to nullify all in seconds without an ounce of effort. Well, if you don't see how stupid it is (again, from a game design perspective)... I don't know. Just an example for me of "catering to the lowest common denominator" ("Oh, noes, taking out all these deployables is going to take sooo much time!!! ** sob sob **" )
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion