So I played Planetside for the first time - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cause that Riverdance is scary
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-07-26, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

So I played Planetside for the first time

Short version: Why the hell did I wait so long to play this damn game?

So the other day I was bored. The Guild Wars 2 beta weekend was over and I want something to play to kill time until I get into the Planetside 2 beta. I decided to try out the original Planetside. Okay yeah the game is old, and the shooter mechanics aren't the greatest but damn I'm having a lot of fun. My first night I had like 13 kills and 94 deaths, but that didn't stop me from having a blast.

A friend joined in with me and we got a Prowler out and went around from base to base. Had that thing alive for over an hour of fighting, retreating and repairing. It was so much fun driving and calling shots for him.

The original Planetside was a game I've always wanted to get into. However I was only thirteen when it came out and didn't quite have a computer to run it. That's a little young for MMO's too. But when I was older and put together my first gaming PC I kind of ignored it because I figured the game had run its course. Planetside and DAOC were the games I always wanted to get into during their prime.

I still barely know how everything works but hey if you see me on TR I'm more than willing to put together a squad and make sure bases and towers get captured.
Old 2012-07-26, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SirDart
Private

Re: So I played Planetside for the first time

Glad to see you are enjoying it! I run with Vanu, but you should consider downloading Teamspeak 3 and looking at outfits to join up with and see how much fun you can have organizing with a larger group. It changes your tactics drastically, but can be really fun taking down generators, capturing bases, going to caverns.

Enjoy it while it lasts, it might not be busy much longer with Beta of PS2 coming out soon, but I am sure there will still be some people whose PCs aren't yet powerful enough to play PS2 who will still be playing PS1.
Old 2012-07-26, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DarkSkyes
Corporal

Yep, its a great game, its just a shae that many other people didn't try it out. I have played BF3, MW, MH and pretty much every FPS game on the market and nothing can compare to the experience you get with PS1. People just don't get it lol, its a hard concept to explain and they don't believe you when you tell them. 500 V 500 V 500? What? are you nuts?

Good to have you, please tell your friends lol.
Old 2012-07-26, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

I'm only playing until I get into the PS2 beta. Just threw on one month. I've got my own community and we have something around 60 members itching to play Planetside 2. I'm just trying to kill the time.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kuraltai
Contributor
First Sergeant

I've been away from the game for some time and recently re-installed .. new computer so had no choice. Even getting blown up and killed far more often than I killed anything myself I had a blast. This game is still addictive.

Taco were you playing late evening 7/25, early morning 7/26? Saw someone named Taco in command chat a lot and was just curious.

Glad you jumped in and saw how great a game this is.
Old 2012-07-27, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

I'm in as PTaco. A really long time ago I did a trial on my old SOE account that had SWG and used PoisonTaco there so I kinda stole my own name. Lost the email for that account and just made a new one when the PS2 beta signups started.
Old 2012-07-29, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Fanglord
Sergeant

I would like to play the original for the month but theres no way i'm paying for the full price game aswell as the sub price (for a game that has a limited life span left, I fully understand games cost money); would be nice if the game went sub only.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Nolerhn
Corporal

I just played PS1 for the first time myself today, and I hear ya, the game is still awesome IMO. Makes me regret all those years I spent playing final fantasy XI, when I COULD have been playing PS1 in it's prime.

There were several huge fights, bigger than any other FPS I've played, which was awesome, especially considering the games age. I didn't do much gunning myself though, I spent my first few cert points I got on engineering and spent basically all of my playtime running through the battle lines that formed topping off people's armor and repairing vehicles.

If PS2 will allow me to be full blown support like that I'll have a blast. Even though I wasn't shooting down enemies, I felt like I played some part in the TR victory today.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Huntsab
Sergeant

Shallow victory when the TR just drop all gens on a continent and sit in empty bases. Why would you play like that? I played a little TR over the weekend and it was so boring.
Old 2012-07-29, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nolerhn
Corporal

Well, I don't know how it usually goes, like I said this was my first day playing. But, the fights I was involved with the squad I was in, wasn't sitting around in an empty base. It was on....Esmir (spelling?) a snowy place. TR was on the very SW base and was pushing north to the next base, and there was a rather large mixed vehicle/infantry fight midway in the field between the two bases. Took us like 2 hours or so it seemed to get a hold on the base.

I don't know about gen dropping though, I was running along the battle line and skirting the edges of corridor fights repairing people. Still, at any rate, I had a blast.
Old 2012-07-30, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dubious
Sergeant

TR rarely drop gens cause keeping it up = more xp
NC/VS drops it way more often

TR barely had pop on esamir yesterday, almost even got pushed out but they came back and even took some bases

If your hacking empty bases your playing at wrong time
Old 2012-07-30, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Huntsab View Post
Shallow victory when the TR just drop all gens on a continent and sit in empty bases. Why would you play like that? I played a little TR over the weekend and it was so boring.
Wait. Someone on VS complaining about gen dropping? Pot. Kettle. Black.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-07-30, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Huntsab
Sergeant

I don't drop gens and try my best to stop others from doing so. I played TR on my alt at about 12pm GMT (7am EST) and ran with BRTD and Battle Marines of Chaos. They were ghost hacking conts and the few enemies that turned up to fight had no where to spawn, cause these guys were draining bases dropping gens and capping all the towers. Totally steam rolling the cont as if capping base was more fun that shooting people. Was the most boring game I have had in a long time. I was locked out of VS
Old 2012-07-30, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Wait. Someone on VS complaining about gen dropping? Pot. Kettle. Black.
So true.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-08-01, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Souperior
Private

I just bought it myself Having loads of fun!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion