Why I quit PS1 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The instant action hotspot
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-08, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Re: Why I quit PS1

Originally Posted by igster View Post
Unfortunately, the flow of the game is pretty different compared to the situation you described. People don't drop at a back door, and look for trees to cover them while a hacker hacks the door open.

Most of the time, they drop from light aircraft, phantasms or galaxies as close as possible to the backdoor. In the time between the door and you departing your aircraft is the 'golden time' for the attackers to get mown down by aircraft, tanks and any defenders on the wall.
You're describing a heavy battle where everyone runs around with guns blazing.

I was describing the beginning of a battle when the enemy tries, always tries to stealthily come in the back door from a ground vehicle. Besides, I placed myself near the backdoor and was also watching for droppers.

Playing guns-a-blazing frontal assault gets boring after a while, ya know.

And for the 100th time, there is no counter to the OS, EMP OS, or mini OS.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-07-08 at 09:40 AM.
Old 2012-07-08, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Crator
Major General

Well, I agree with OP on all points. The OS (Orbital Strike) and EMP Blast command abilities are just way too overpowered. Again, back in the day, when they were few and far between, it was okay once in a while. But all the time like it is now is stupid.

Please please please, restrict these things in PS2! FFS!
Old 2012-07-08, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Well, I agree with OP on all points. The OS (Orbital Strike) and EMP Blast command abilities are just way too overpowered. Again, back in the day, when they were few and far between, it was okay once in a while. But all the time like it is now is stupid.

Please please please, restrict these things in PS2! FFS!
They shouldn't be restricted, they should be completely removed from the game.
Old 2012-07-09, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

Lesson be learned, don't put an ability/item/weapon in the game that everyone could get eventually, without balancing for a scenario where everyone does have that ability/item/weapon simultaneously.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TheBladeRoden View Post
Lesson be learned, don't put an ability/item/weapon in the game that everyone could get eventually, without balancing for a scenario where everyone does have that ability/item/weapon simultaneously.
Lesson hopefully learned.
I think the Devs seriously want a 2 year player to be only slightly more powerful than a brand new player. I honestly don't see how you could achieve that if you give the 2 year player a massive orbital satellite-mounted laser cannon.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TheBladeRoden View Post
Or stop destroying player creativity. The CUD abilities destroy a whole bunch of realistic tactics and play styles. The only tactic left in planetside is "run around and shoot whatever."
Old 2012-07-10, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Karrade
First Sergeant

At times I played like your playstyle setting up CE, and have to admit I stopped doing it as much when OS's were becoming very common, as a clever player would OS the BD before making a run on it. CE became more useful in the CY (under cover), motion sensors around entry points, or mines on bridges etc.

Prior to this I would mine behind the trees as well, or rather just as the corners, so when people move around them to see if there is a mine the otherside, they are already dead. - This works in many situations, with corners/walls/doors etc.

So yeah the BD became pretty much OS food, and not as worth CE'ing, unless it was just a zerg you were facing.

I don't know what the layout of the PS2 bases will be like yet, as to whether CEing will be worth it in PS2. Depends on layout, how much CE you can deploy, vs how much OS's cost. For PS2 - If OS's take out all CE (even when spread out), move to something else, like a medic/gal driver/gunner if you like support

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Crator
Major General

Pretty sure most here know work-arounds to the issues with EMP Blast/OS in relation to CE. That not what we are saying. What we are saying is the CR4/5 abilities are crap for game-play. That's all....
Old 2012-07-11, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

EMP's are not crap for gameplay, just because there are a hard counter to something you like doing doesn't make them crap for gameplay. Everything in PS1 has a hard counter and unless you know what you are doing you will get destroyed:

liked to foot zerg? aircrafts and vehicles will crush you.
Like Aircrafts? AA will crush you.
Like MAXES? AV will crush you.
Like Stealthing? Darklight will crush you.
Like MBT? Air will crush you.

The game was built around these hard counters so EVERYONE didn't end up doing that one thing, the only thing that didn't adhere to these rules were BFR's.. and we know how that went.

There is very little difference in this case between 2/3 jammer nades and a Cr5 EMP, so stop whining. For sure there are way too many going off nowadays kind of making CE kind of worthless, but that's due to too many people having Cr5. When someone EMP's all your stuff it should be a rare occurrence when an organised group and their commander comes across your emplacement setup. Not whenever anyone with a high rank comes across it.

Orbital strikes actual enhance gameplay, when they are few and far between they offer another tactical option that can really swing battles in a defensive or offensive sense. But again, you shouldn't see more than 1-2 a day. They should be a rare sight.
Old 2012-07-11, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Crator
Major General

So what's the counter for EMP blast and OS? There is none. Throwing EMP nades is not an instant "wipe all CE in area" one touch fix. It requires, as a solo player, you throw many EMP nades to disperse all the CE in the area. And a team of players with EMP nades requires teamwork, so not a bad thing about that.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

The difference is that CE is an inventory item that you can simply relay if it gets jammered/EMP, there is no prerequisite beyond the cert which in theory you can get at BR6. The CR4/5 EMP has taken a hell of a long time to earn and can only be used infrequently by a commander. The problem is when too many people gain that rank and EMP's and OS's are going off every 30 seconds.

Your hope of having them removed is a pipe dream, just because you don't want to relay CE every now and then. Be realistic and push for a limited amount of commanders per server at a time.. Something more like the WoW arena rankings where you have to work to maintain your Command rank by continually leading.

Last edited by Snipefrag; 2012-07-12 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Crator
Major General

If you're speaking to me, I never said anything about removing them. Although I could do without them myself. If you've ever laid CE you know how long it can take, especially with it being insta-destroyed so often. I'm almost always open to compromise for any idea.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Sorry.. I thought you was OP.. I've been playing since beta and most of the time I've had CE. I know the pain of it, that's why I don't spend extortionate amounts of time setting it up, and then come on the forums complaining when it's destroyed like the OP. it should be something that supplements your gameplay... Not the be all and end all.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Crator
Major General

Defiantly agree that it shouldn't the primary focus of one's game play time. And as you said, a supplement. I use it this way in PS1 and typically put the CE around a base to act as a warning signal that there is an enemy trying to get in. That's only when I use it near doors of a base. The more effective use of mines is knowing the best place to put it that doesn't involve being near the base where people typically use the EMP blast. Can't say much about spitfires here cause they aren't even in PS2.

We are focusing on the EMP blast in our discussion right now. The OS is a different story imo. But both abilities need to be limited more then how they were in PS1.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-07-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
Wow man, you're starting a lot of angry threads today that are all pretty much about the same thing Have you even seen how squad spawning works? It's not like BF3 where they just appear, you can see the drop pods from a mile away and it takes a decent amount of time to hit the ground. Also, the cooldown timer before you can do it again is pretty long so if you die right after squad spawning you'll have to find a hard spawn point.

I know you like to use the term "dumbing it down" alot but maybe you should play the game before you freak out about it. Just a suggestion man
Case and point.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion