Vehicle refunds - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When there's nothing good on TV
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-23, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CutterJohn
Colonel

Vehicle refunds

Vehicles cost resources to pull, ofc, but what happens when you've used it, kept it alive, and now are done with it?

I propose that you can get refunded for the resources if you hit deconstruct while in a friendly SOI.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Re: Vehicle refunds

It would have to be a partial refund, I think. Otherwise you could deconstruct a damaged vehicle for a new one, and that might get abused.
Old 2012-04-23, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Make it so it has to be 100% health vehicle. And only ever a 40% refund on the resources.

I like the idea sort of like replicator recycling in star trek (not a trekkie but i've watched some).

It would kinda fit with the nanite thingie

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dahlian
Private

Neat idea, would love to see this added.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

refund 100% for first 10 seconds - accidental pulling - to a big drop off later than this?

Old 2012-04-23, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

There should be some kind of recycling option for vehicles in my opinion. Has to be less then 50% in order to make people just want to pull another vehicle instead of their current one instead due to the resource loss.

I like Ruffdog's idea as well. I would click the wrong vehicle several times a week playing PS. I wouldn't be too happy to lose X amount of credits due to a wrong click.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Good idea Cutter. Maybe give the player a refund percentage based on the vehicle's condition. If it's down to 50% health, you get a 50% refund.
Old 2012-04-23, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Good idea Cutter. Maybe give the player a refund percentage based on the vehicle's condition. If it's down to 50% health, you get a 50% refund.
It can't work this way. If a vehicle is 100% you get 100% resources back according to this. Allowing people to get a full credit back will put the whole point of resources for vehicles to being nothing. Just due to them knowing they can get the full amount back and not being more thoughtful as to what to pull.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Full refunds for full-health vehicles - if you've been using it in the field, you've probably been repairing it in the field, too. (I don't know if the nanites inside glueguns count for anything, but at least the time you spend repairing should be worth it.) Otherwise, refund is proportional to the vehicle. If you don't have an engineer in your team and you've just come back from the line with 10% health on the vanny, you only get 10% of the credit (for basically, recycling the thing).

So in other words, refund amount directly proportional to vehicle health on return.

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
It can't work this way. If a vehicle is 100% you get 100% resources back according to this. Allowing people to get a full credit back will put the whole point of resources for vehicles to being nothing. Just due to them knowing they can get the full amount back and not being more thoughtful as to what to pull.
EDIT: In theory, that could be problematic, but in reality, if you pull the wrong kind of vehicle, you'll be toast before you could even stop to repair it. And then you've nothing to return. I can see the point of where vehicles should cost something, but think of it like borrowing a book from the library - if you return it in the same condition you got it, it doesn't cost you anything.

Then again, there's always a middle ground - I do think that the amount returned should be proportional to the health, but maybe doesn't have to be proportional to the original cost - maybe the most you can get in return is 80%.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-04-23 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CutterJohn
Colonel

It would only make resources meaningless if the vehicle never gets destroyed. I'm fairly confident that an extremely healthy majority of vehicles will end their lives as rubble in the battlefield, and obviously these would NOT be refunded.

Has to be less then 50% in order to make people just want to pull another vehicle instead of their current one instead due to the resource loss
Can you rephrase that? I don't quite catch your meaning.

At any rate, I really don't see a reason that you wouldn't get a full refund. If the game had an actual functioning economy, you could sell it to someone, and there is no logical reason the empire wouldn't take back the vehicle. Or heck, logically you'd be able to park it somewhere for later use, like you could stash weapons in a locker in PS1. Sure there could be a 'garage', but selling it back for 100% accomplishes the exact same thing.

Condition would also be meaningless, since repairs won't take resources. It would just add the time wasting step of having to repair the vehicle first before selling it back.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

If you're actually using the vehicles, you're likely to get a lot of them killed and thus unrefundable, and if you're skilled enough not to get them destroyed, what's the problem? And if you're not even taking them into combat, where's the harm in a refund there?
Old 2012-04-23, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Depending on how the vehicle operator/crew make use of the vehicle it maybe harder to actually get that vehicle destroyed. I could go for several hours in a Vanguard in PS in pop locked fights if I was driving properly, I don't see why this can't be the same in PS2.

What it comes down to for me is I don't want people just switching out of their current vehicle to something else just due to being able to get a full refund. A player should be smart with their resources. Being able to get a full refund for major purchases like vehicles prevents this in my opinion. If someone decides that a certain vehicle isn't to their liking for the current combat situation they can freely just recycle it for another. A player should instead have to choose whether to take the cut in resources or continue to fight in the current vehicle till it dies.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
CutterJohn
Colonel

How about a garage then? Same functionality as the locker in PS1. You don't get refunds, but you don't lose your resources if you decide to take a break.

The problem with a partial refund is if you stop playing the game, your resources just go poof. Thats not smart use of them, nor particularly fair.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-23 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

For people logging off I guess thats possible. As long as its limited to perhaps one vehicle. That way we do not have a stock pile of vehicles we can pull out.
Old 2012-04-23, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stardouser
Colonel

How about you only get one refund per half hour/hour/whatever is balanced?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion