GPU Accelerated Physx Confirmed? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All calls up to 20 minutes only $.99!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-08-16, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AceofSpadesX
Private

Question GPU Accelerated Physx Confirmed?

Has anyone seen this yet?
http://www.geforce.com/games-applica...s/planetside-2
This appears to confirm that GPU accelerated Physx will be in the game.
Old 2012-08-18, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

Re: GPU Accelerated Physx Confirmed?

Well I'm not sure what else really needs to be said. NVidia PhysX support is in the game, so if you have such a card, you'll get improved physics performance, and if you don't you'll either have to turn advanced physics off or suffer a large framerate hit by rendering complex physics on the CPU.
Old 2012-08-19, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by JawsOfLife View Post
Well I'm not sure what else really needs to be said. NVidia PhysX support is in the game, so if you have such a card, you'll get improved physics performance, and if you don't you'll either have to turn advanced physics off or suffer a large framerate hit by rendering complex physics on the CPU.
Well you can run PhysX on a ATI card too...

http://www.overclock.net/t/591872/ho...with-ati-cards
Old 2012-08-24, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Nasher
Sergeant

I wouldn't want to try it. ATI drivers are bad enough without asking them to do other things :P
Old 2012-08-24, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I wouldn't want to try it. ATI drivers are bad enough without asking them to do other things :P
Nothing wrong with ATi drivers.
Many of the problems people have experienced with ATi cards have been a result of switching from Nvidia to ATi cards.

Why?
Same reason there are a bajillion times more dedicated 'Nvidia driver cleaners', because Nvidia drivers mess up systems..
Not speculation, not conspiracy; fact.

I roll AMD and I can't say anything about performance in the beta on my HD7970, but I will say that I have no intention of buying Nvidia.

Partly on principle, and partly because this beast of a card hasn't met a game that can break or even test it on maximum settings, yet.

It's a shame that AMD has the real muscle, but Nvidias team claw back sales by cosying up to developers for any exclusive treatment or crutches that will make them feel like they're on top.

As a gamer, it seems like they're the filthy ex who just wont disappear, who has to leave her stink around, trying to win over as many of your friends as possible just to spite you.
But you look at her, and the people who hang around her and just think she's pathetic.
She's the sl*t you leave for your wife.
And that's OK, you're young, sow your wild oats, play world of warcraft and call of duty, but some of us move on.

Move on.

I love you AMD, you're my number one.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-08-24 at 01:00 PM.
Old 2012-08-24, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Well you can run PhysX on a ATI card too...

http://www.overclock.net/t/591872/ho...with-ati-cards
It's not actually running on an ATI card, you need to have an Nvidia card installed with the ATI one. The reason there is a patch for it is because Nvidia decided to disable PhysX if an ATI card was detected in the system, this just removes that restriction.
Old 2012-08-24, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by fb III IX ca IV View Post
It's not actually running on an ATI card, you need to have an Nvidia card installed with the ATI one. The reason there is a patch for it is because Nvidia decided to disable PhysX if an ATI card was detected in the system, this just removes that restriction.
This is actually kinda cool.
You've got the more powerful AMD card to power the real beef, and lil bitch Nvidia card to paint the glitter and fairydust on top.

I might do this, get myself a lil bitch card to put a little extra seasoning in my sandwiches.
Old 2012-08-25, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

And it doesn't need to be anything expensive, a GT 240/9800 GT is enough for PhysX.
Old 2012-09-09, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
AceofSpadesX
Private

I was going to go with a 7870, but now I'm going to go with the GTX 660 ti. Pretty much the same (sometimes better) performance in benchmarks and price as the 7870 along with Physx capability.

Edit: Wow this got a lot of views!

Last edited by AceofSpadesX; 2012-09-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 2012-09-09, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Your CPU can do physX just as well. The only difference is it can offload the work to the gpu if you have nvidia, and only on a very very very small list of games that includes PS2. Unless you are bottlenecked by your cpu then you dont need Nvidia. Currently ps2 is badly optimized so it would help, but once they get it right, it shouldnt matter much. And if you happen to have a game thats bottlenecked by your gpu, then you wouldnt want the physX on your gpu but on your cpu like any vid card can do.

In short its not simple and rarely ever matters since so few games use the hardware version. It also depends on your system specs and the games and settings you play at. Either brand will be fine. However, if price and performance are exactly the same and your main concern is PS2, then yeah go with nvidia because it is gonna run slightly better because of their bias in this particular game.

BTW, I have a Nvidia gtx 580 with physX in my main pc and a second rig with an AMD card, so i can speak from experience.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2012-09-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 2012-09-10, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AceofSpadesX
Private

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Your CPU can do physX just as well. The only difference is it can offload the work to the gpu if you have nvidia, and only on a very very very small list of games that includes PS2. Unless you are bottlenecked by your cpu then you dont need Nvidia. Currently ps2 is badly optimized so it would help, but once they get it right, it shouldnt matter much. And if you happen to have a game thats bottlenecked by your gpu, then you wouldnt want the physX on your gpu but on your cpu like any vid card can do.

In short its not simple and rarely ever matters since so few games use the hardware version. It also depends on your system specs and the games and settings you play at. Either brand will be fine. However, if price and performance are exactly the same and your main concern is PS2, then yeah go with nvidia because it is gonna run slightly better because of their bias in this particular game.

BTW, I have a Nvidia gtx 580 with physX in my main pc and a second rig with an AMD card, so i can speak from experience.
Thanks for the info, but doesn't using the CPU for PhysX effects results in low framerates? (Unless your CPU is overclocked, which mine isn't capable of) You can see this here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-performance/2

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions