News: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4 - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the reason your parents split up
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-05, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: IGN.com DCU and PS2 going to PS4

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
They have zero incentive to care about what we think at this point. The mass-console market is the target audience. Not us. Smed just made that plain.

Three years from now we'll be playing Indarside on two servers while the console servers number a dozen and are buzzing with activity. And if we want to join them, we won't be able to import our existing characters. To hell with us and the money we've spent.

Ah, well. Down the hatch.
Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
It's a disaster -- for the sense of community that goes back a decade; for the dead certainty of dwindling PC support; for the old outfits that won't be able to make the transition from one platform to another; for those of us that would like to but will face the specter of hundreds of dollars and thousands of hours of gameplay going into the trash bin, or for the starving-college demographic that simply can't afford four hundred bucks on a new box so they can play their favorite game in good company with decent pops.

It's a rupture within the community similar to what we faced when European players would have been unable to access US servers. We made enough noise to change that. We need to do the same now.
Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
This is the worst news I've ever read.

They're going to spend all their resources working on the Playstation 4 version.

Don't count on anymore big updates after this, at least not for a while.
Get your umbrellas mfers because the sky is falling!!

Come on now. In what press release did they say PC would stop being developed? Why do people need to "Transition" from PC to Console? Was the cancellation of the PC version announced and I missed it?

Get a grip - this won't change much from a community standpoint. We will get more folks to drop by probably and take part but overall they will be largely segmented just because of how things tend to fall together.

But the PC version hasn't gone anywhere and isn't. Get a grip.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-05, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
camycamera
Major

this is either good news or bad news:

good news that (even though unlikely, they are probably getting their own server ) i get more idiots to shoot at

and it gives SOE more money to work on updates.

but how will it effect development? will it slow down? is a completely different team working on it?

i like the multicore optimisations though, good!
Old 2013-06-05, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

Come on now. In what press release did they say PC would stop being developed? Why do people need to "Transition" from PC to Console? Was the cancellation of the PC version announced and I missed it?

Get a grip - this won't change much from a community standpoint. We will get more folks to drop by probably and take part but overall they will be largely segmented just because of how things tend to fall together.

and this. shut up and listen. wait for the answers.
Old 2013-06-05, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
seanman
Private

that's trailer is awesome for me.
with real voice of player on that trailer i feel the war at planetside 2.
Old 2013-06-05, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

Now that is a community manager stepping up. STFU people. FACT: PS2 will be on the PS4. FACT: The communities will be separate. FACT: No one here who is authorized to say knows fooking sh1t about any plans as to how development money will be directed.

What I assume: PS4's involvement alone means that more money will go into developing this game. Regardless of not sharing communities, the fact that more people will be playing this game, regardless of PC or platform, will mean more advertisement overall. More support overall. More players overall. I'd fuking love to r4pe console gamers all day and night, but it wont happen. MAN UP and compete with the PC crowd.

BOTTOM LINE: More human beings on this planet will know of PS. A good number of them will be PC gamers. More players = better.

www.planetside-devildogs.com

Last edited by EVILPIG; 2013-06-05 at 10:55 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
FACT: The communities will be separate.
What I assume: PS4's involvement alone means that more money will go into developing this game. Regardless of not sharing communities, the fact that more people will be playing this game, regardless of PC or platform, will mean more advertisement overall. More support overall. More players overall. I'd fuking love to r4pe console gamers all day and night, but it wont happen. MAN UP and compete with the PC crowd.

BOTTOM LINE: More human beings on this planet will know of PS. A good number of them will be PC gamers. More players = better.
it is most likely that communities will be separate, remember it is not really confirmed yet.

but apart from, that, agreed.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I pity the PS4 crowd

Thank GOD for them that we wont share servers. I mean, come on, it would be fun to r4pe console players with our WADS and mouse aim, but seriously, I pity them. A shit ton of outfits in PS2 operate using in game VOIP, and it does work well. Until you reach a significant size. The 666th has a very organized and deep comms system that TS3 can facilitate. How will PS4 outfits that are large coordinate? I guess they can use Outfit VOIP, but I feel bad for them not being able to use 3rd party programs. Unless I'm in the dark (which I am, I only have a 360 for Madden Competitions).

Old 2013-06-05, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
AThreatToYou
Major

Re: I pity the PS4 crowd

I see your point...
Old 2013-06-05, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Personally, I hate Teamspeak. Mumble's way better.

But I think that the Playstation 4 may allow third party programs. I feel like it should, given the fact that it IS still a computer, and has a browser and such, right?
Old 2013-06-05, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

No one said anything about the PC version being cancelled, but you're still lying to yourself if you think this nonsense won't slow down the already sluggishly-released game updates.

I would really love this idea if PS4 players would be on the same servers as PC players for a few reasons. The most obvious being that we would get to wreck all those terrible console kiddies, but also because it would ensure that they stay on track with the game and don't go off on two different tangents, creating different updates for each game, which would definitely result in more work and less reward.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

They always have the ability to create their own VOIP channels and use them similar to a TS or Mumble layout. It's not optimal (IMO) but it's not that bad.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-05, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
camycamera
Major

remember, not 100% confirmed yet.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

I pity them too but not for VOIP, auto aim pump actions. Truly horrifying.

Old 2013-06-05, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

It's most likely going to be a stand alone dumbed down version.

Which makes me wonder... How many people on the servers at once compared to the PC version and how many continents will there be?

I just know it's a mistake. People will be drawn to consoles thinking it will be "easier to play" when it's not (mouse beats gamepad in terms of aiming) which will take away or keep pc gamers at bay.

Then there's the whole COD mentality. The only upside is that the mindless morons will go to console instead and us thinkers will stick to PC. But without large zergs on the frontlines (the mindless) it will take away from the whole war environment and risk only squad attacks (which is good. But a large army is needed too).

I just see it as a bad idea overall.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 2013-06-05, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
It's most likely going to be a stand alone dumbed down version.

Which makes me wonder... How many people on the servers at once compared to the PC version and how many continents will there be?

I just know it's a mistake. People will be drawn to consoles thinking it will be "easier to play" when it's not (mouse beats gamepad in terms of aiming) which will take away or keep pc gamers at bay.

Then there's the whole COD mentality. The only upside is that the mindless morons will go to console instead and us thinkers will stick to PC. But without large zergs on the frontlines (the mindless) it will take away from the whole war environment and risk only squad attacks (which is good. But a large army is needed too).

I just see it as a bad idea overall.
Mistake? No fucking way. Exposure. Let them have their community, still more PS2.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion