PS2 on PS4 brings multicore optimization - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So how long have you been falling?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
speedbot
Private

PS2 on PS4 brings multicore optimization

Terribly sorry but I didnt see this mentioned in any other thread.

Last edited by speedbot; 2013-06-06 at 09:06 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dragonskin
Major

Re: PS2 on PS4 brings multicore optimization

It was posted in this thread.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...t=55476&page=4

But it's worthy of it's own separate thread. Not much Planetside 2 related to really talk about other than these announcements anyway. GU10 was very meh...

Can't wait for 8 core multiprocessing. My AMD FX 8350 might actually be competitive with Intel processors. That makes me happy.

While I like computer gaming more than console it sucks so much ass that there is this stupid Intel VS AMD and Nvidia vs AMD war going on. It's even worse that there are legitimate worries that companies are sabotaging games to make them play worse on the opposing hardware. Prime example is Tomb Raider. Nvidia claims they got shafted on development time for drivers. I am sure that Nvidia does the same to AMD when possible.

Which is why Planetside 2 runs like crap on AMD hardware... it has a gaint Nvidia logo for endorsement and uses PhysX which generally screws AMD... ugh... PC war is just as lame as the console war... maybe worse.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sifer2
Major

That's nice. But the flip side is the game now cannot really evolve as PC hardware does. Were stuck with PS4 tech which is already somewhat out dated. Can't really say i'm surprised though. It's just impossible to get a good PC shooter anymore. It's all multiplat stuff with some concessions made to run on console.

It wont really hurt right now. But say 4 years from now we wont get thing like longer draw distance, higher pop caps, or larger continents. All because everything ever added to this game has to take into account the Playstation limitations from here on out.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I am certainly looking forward to the game industry being forced to make better use of multiple cores.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Maidere
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
Can't wait for 8 core multiprocessing. My AMD FX 8350 might actually be competitive with Intel processors. That makes me happy.
I dont know any games that can utilize up to 8 treads, and PS4 wont have 8 cores availible for the games.
I will be happy if they will optimize it for 4 treads.
What's realy wierd - I remember Higby moaning about how it's not possible. Seems like Sony is investing a lot in it and SOE will better be up to their expecations.

Last edited by Maidere; 2013-06-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shogun
Contributor
General

that´s another reason why i stopped buying station cash.
i am not going to support console gaming that is responsible for the pc version not being able to evolve.

got on to pledge star citizen, to show my support for pc gaming.
It´s the only game out there right now, that is exclusively aiming for pc gamers and believes that pc AAA gaming has a future.
ps2 was a giant letdown with all that dumbing down that happened obviously to make it more compatible for consoles and console players.

i hope the multicore thing will at least boost performance, and maybe the game will get 64 bit support and actually use the full amount of ram i have. but i guess using the 8gb of the ps4 is all we will get. the gaming rigs with more than 8 gb ram will still be a waste of power.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-06, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
I dont know any games that can utilize up to 8 treads, and PS4 wont have 8 cores availible for the games.
I will be happy if they will optimize it for 4 treads.
Is SOE/Sony locking a core for dedicated OS processing like they did for PS3 or is this speculation that they won't use 8 cores on their new Jaguar 8 core processors? I mean Xbox One is also using the new Jaguar 8 core.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

As a few people pointed out previously when discussing PS2 on PS4 - doesn't this mean they'll have to drop the dependence on DirectX as well? Which in turn could open the door for Linux or OS X versions...

Old 2013-06-06, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Maidere
Sergeant

Is SOE/Sony locking a core for dedicated OS processing like they did for PS3 or is this speculation that they won't use 8 cores on their new Jaguar 8 core processors? I mean Xbox One is also using the new Jaguar 8 core.
Im quite sure they will have 2 cores for OS and background processes at very least. Hell, even MS has it on XB1, and XB1 doesnt have this "share" button.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
Im quite sure they will have 2 cores for OS and background processes at very least. Hell, even MS has it on XB1, and XB1 doesnt have this "share" button.
The Xbox One is running 3 operating systems though. I don't think they will operate the same. I guess time will tell and we will know more next week after E3.
Old 2013-06-06, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
camycamera
Major

happy face.
Old 2013-06-06, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sunrock
Major

The Xbox One is running 3 operating systems though. I don't think they will operate the same. I guess time will tell and we will know more next week after E3.
Hmm that sounds like some one needs 3 guys to screw in one light bulp. It's probably 1 OS that is compatible with other OS.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I am certainly looking forward to the game industry being forced to make better use of multiple cores.
Indeed this is good for all of us.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-06, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

I'm pretty sure they have a low powered ARM core dedicated to running the OS.
Old 2013-06-06, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Indeed this is good for all of us.
indeed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion