Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2003-02-18, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by OneManArmy
really lexington? I have never once had a problem using AMD chipsets EVER. (Granted I started using AMD after my PIII got to old, but arn't we talking about the new ones anyways?)

the new AMD chips have the 333mhz FSB and the price difference is not $20, its more like $35
Quite a bit of high end audio and video recording hardware will not work with AMD chipsets. I have personally never read about similar hardware having any problems with intel chipsets.

For example:
I replace my Echo Darla sound card (8 channel in/out @24bit 96kHz) with a RME Hammerfall which has a spdif in, spdif out and 6 ADAT litepipe optical I/Os (can handle 52 channels @ 24 bit 96 kHz).

I sold the Darla to a friend that had an AMD. Whenever he tried to use it it crashed his computer. We could not figure out for the life of us why it did that. Eventually, after scouring Echo's site we discovered that the card would not work with a number of AMD chipsets.

Since then I have discovered an number of cards that have incompatability with AMD chipsets.

High end audio and video production software and hardware are generally designed with Pentiums in mind.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-18, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

hmm... learn something new every day

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-18, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

amen. ah well All I do is game so, allow me to rephrase to I have never had a problem with the average gamers hardware, (sound blasters, turtle beach, etc...)
Old 2003-02-18, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by {BOHICA}mistled
hmm... learn something new every day
Unfortunately, if you are really interested in high end audio and video you should get a Mac.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-18, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Lexington_Steele
Unfortunately, if you are really interested in high end audio and video you should get a Mac.
true

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-18, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

For gaming AMD is what you want. Besides, the new nForce chipsets are AWESOME and are really helping AMD. They're way better than VIA is.
Old 2003-02-18, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

nForce boards are AMAZING.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-18, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Zatrais
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

nForce2 boards are amasing yeah... one of the best, if not the best AMD board chipset there is.
Old 2003-02-19, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Originally posted by powdahound
For gaming AMD is what you want. Besides, the new nForce chipsets are AWESOME and are really helping AMD. They're way better than VIA is.
Actually for gaming Intel and AMD are pretty much dead even now. The only thing that sets the two apart are the mobos available for each now. The new nforce2 chipset based boards are like powda said amazing but testers have been basically forced to rate the features of motherboards available to the two and the cost of the processors to even make a decision.
Old 2003-02-19, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I'm on a 2100+ right now, OCed to 2.0ghz and it's idling at 43c, I just ran 3dmark03 and it maxed at 45c... Pfft to whoever says AMDs are hot or bad for OCing. Just giving some facts, not trying to start a war.
Old 2003-02-19, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

Originally posted by powdahound
I'm on a 2100+ right now, OCed to 2.0ghz and it's idling at 43c, I just ran 3dmark03 and it maxed at 45c... Pfft to whoever says AMDs are hot or bad for OCing. Just giving some facts, not trying to start a war.
Well it is a proven fact that AMDs get a bit hotter than Intels. If you have decent cooling on your cpu it should be fine depending on the amount you OC it.

Athlon XP 2100 runs at like 1.7 ghz so it's about .3 ghz jump which is substantial but it won't produce insane amounts of heat.
Old 2003-02-19, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

Originally posted by BLuE_ZeRO
Athlon XP 2100 runs at like 1.7 ghz so it's about .3 ghz jump which is substantial but it won't produce insane amounts of heat.
Indeed, now all I need to do is unlock it. :] It was running at these same temps without the OC... Can't complain.

Last edited by powdahound; 2003-02-19 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2003-02-19, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

no you can't
Old 2003-02-26, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Marlboro Man!!
Sergeant

how do you overclock your machine i have a 1.3 ghz athlon xp 1500,MMX, 3D now, and would like to pump out a little more but the fan is like 8 + months old (even though they say there good for life there not) . Im not sure what motherboard i have but since this comp is 8 + months old would it be good to do?but i dont want to do it if it will explode melt and just flat out crap the bed on me. thnx

Marlboro Man
Old 2003-02-27, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
AeoNELiTe
Private

either Processor is fast, although its true that the AMD are more geared to graphics then the pentiums. Are you buying a motherboard too? If your not, you most likely won't have a choice short of replacing the motherboard. Maybe you should decide on that....

Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum