Gameplay: Less Combat, More Medic: Healing Weapons - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I like your socks, might I fondle them?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-18, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Lightbulb Less Combat, More Medic: Healing Weapons

TL;DR Summary
Heavy Assault chooses between MCG/Jackhammer/Lasher OR Rifle+Rocket Launcher.
Infiltrator chooses between sniper rifle OR super cloaking device.

Let the Combat Medic choose on spawn: Load their weapon with standard default ammo OR load it with nanite ammo that heals friendlies and does nothing to enemies.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a support-oriented player, I'm more than willing to give up some combat capability in exchange for being better able to help my team. In this case, the Medic would be left only with a pistol for self-defense in order to heal teammates effectively at longer ranges. Though the numbers could be tweaked, the premise is simple:

In place of the Medic's standard combat ammo, allow them to load up their gun with healing rounds (nanite paintballs?) that perform identically to their standard weapon... EXCEPT the ammo heals friendlies and does not hurt enemies. I think something along the lines of 50% effect would be right (if the damaging ammo does 30 damage per shot, the healing ammo would heal 15 per shot).

In most cases, it would be more effective for the medic to use the damaging ammo, since they can do far more damage than they can heal. But the added range and versatility would make it worthwhile for many of us support junkies!
Old 2012-07-19, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Less Combat, More Medic: Healing Weapons

I think if we had healing weapons, medics would become a bit too much, instead of a medic who has to come to you to apply aid. You might even have someone healing you from across a corridor or something.

I think a nice solve around way of it, is to copy a style from The Killing Floor. In that game, medics could get some weapons called "medic guns", which were just guns but had a dart launcher on it to inject allies with medical treatment at range.

Basically, imagine is a single medical treatment were fired like an underbarrel grenade. Single shot, slow firing, low ammo count. A sort of bonus for medics rather than changing the game.
Old 2012-07-19, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EnderGraff
Corporal

^^ Sounds alright to me. Medics also get medipacks that can be thrown on the ground as far as I know.
Old 2012-07-19, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Basically, imagine is a single medical treatment were fired like an underbarrel grenade. Single shot, slow firing, low ammo count. A sort of bonus for medics rather than changing the game.
Anything to give the medic more range would be nice, though I'd like to see something that would drastically cut their combat capability in exchange for a more action-packed healing style. Giving up all of their primary weapon damage in order to perform effective "point and shoot" healing with a rifle would be a f***'in blast!
Old 2012-07-20, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xyntech
Brigadier General

A loss of most combat ability for the gain of being able to heal friendlies 100m away would be pretty awesome.

I'd want the gun to have an appropriate sidegrade look, looking like a cross between a medigun and their standard rifle.

There's always a pistol, or at least a knife, if the medic does still need to get their hands dirty.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Pinkie Pie
Corporal

hm... like the medic part. the rest.. eeeeeeehhhhhh..... half-decent..
+support from me anyway~
Old 2012-07-22, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rabaan
Corporal

I can see this happening : oh your hurt let me heal you *shoots friend, friend dies* oops, i forgot to load the -healing- bullets, sorry
Old 2012-07-23, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rabaan View Post
I can see this happening : oh your hurt let me heal you *shoots friend, friend dies* oops, i forgot to load the -healing- bullets, sorry
Maybe it's best for only heavily certed medics to have this option... Anyway, at least the errant medic can rez his victim!
Old 2012-07-23, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Healing grenades + (under-barrel/)grenade launcher = long range healing grenade?
Old 2012-07-23, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Boomhowser
Corporal

Medics are the glue that keep squads together!

start giving them ranged healing and you might as well have a squad of solo players doing thier own thing whilst medic shoots them from long range hrrmph
Old 2012-07-23, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MorioMortis
Corporal

Long range sustained healing removes the primary risk of being a medic (having to be near the fight to heal) and removes the opposition's tactical decision between killing the medic who is keeping the team together or killing a higher damage member.

However, for burst healing, I don't see a problem, as long as it isn't spamable and is weaker than an equivalent one whose effective range is in the immediate vicinity of the medic himself.

Last edited by MorioMortis; 2012-07-23 at 07:15 AM.
Old 2012-07-23, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Coreldan
Colonel

Not really excited about the idea of longer range medics either. I'm all for giving them something a bit more, but I dont think this is a good idea.
Old 2012-07-24, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

It's hard to say without being in the game, but I don't think I really want the medic to have a long range anyway.

From what I hear the primary job of medics atm is reviving anyway, since the healthbar is very short.
Old 2012-07-27, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
It's hard to say without being in the game, but I don't think I really want the medic to have a long range anyway.

From what I hear the primary job of medics atm is reviving anyway, since the healthbar is very short.
^ Ya, I don't want PS2 to turn into TF2. Cause TF2 is already a game.

So then, why not give the medic an ability that extends the life bar?

Example: You get a device that radiates something that passively increase the life of you and anyone near you (10meters?). This reduces the rate at which your shield regenerates by 50% AND reduces its total by 20%.

If you really want something ranged, how about:

Adrenaline gun: Bolt action, 1 handed. (Or maybe Adrenaline Dart? Just huck em? Keeps it medium range at best)
- hitting a live target increases move speed and accuracy temporarily. As well as 20% bonus HP. 15 seconds.
- hitting a dead target brings it back to life temporarily at 20% hp (no shield). Will die again if not healed before buff ends. 10 seconds (as you will lose the gained 20% hp)

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-07-28 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2012-07-28, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Gugabalog
Major

I like the killing floor style option. Give him one or two range shots that might be slowly replenishable. Add an exp element to it and then you are able to recover health. But by no means should the health dart revive.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault