News: Game Update 10 Notes - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sorry mate, calling a waahmbulance on this one.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-06, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Whiteagle
Major

Re: Game Update 10 Notes

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
I mean, ffs, I knew people who quit the Beta and refused to play on release because in the capture mechanics you don't pull out a REK and start hacking a terminal. It was "too much like BF3," even though BF3 doesn't have a monopoly on capture points and weren't even the first ones to do it.
Well to be fair I kind of wish Point Hacking were back in...
The need to leave yourself vulnerable for a few seconds created a sense of tension, while that vulnerability made you depend on your Faction-mates for protection.
This intensity is what forged those bonds of brotherhood under fire.

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige View Post
Sure, I'll agree with that. There are things in PS1 that I wish were in PS2. Though I think the class system is not how I would have designed Planetside 2, I also think it's somewhat unfair to put that all at BF3's feet. I think it's just kind of popular to hate on that game because of the influx of morons in that community.

I think the unfortunate reality (and don't get me wrong, I don't like admitting this) is that a lot of this has to do with marketing. If we're all being completely honest here, I think its safe to say that some of PS1's mechanics were a little clunky. Not bad, but inefficient. I really don't think PS1 with better graphics (idealistically, the game most of us want) would do as well as the system we have now because that's the state of games today and I expect that to change again in another 10 years or so. Planetside 1 is my favorite game of all time and I wish we could exist in this static reality where that kind of game would really fly today, but sadly we don't.
I agree that there are things like the Class system that are far better for game flow then what was featured in the original Planetside, but their are other features that were crucially important but have been left out...

Take Base Design for instance, PS2 basically has a bunch of sheds while the Original had fortified mazes with several nominally protected points of entry.
There are a bunch of good looking set pieces, but they are SHIT when it comes to FPS play as most of it is functionless greebling there to look pretty.
Hell, I can understand not wanting to re-implement the automatic sliding doors, but couldn't we at least have entry way shields that functioned as such a barrier?
Old 2013-06-06, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
What?
doesn't really matter, it is just that you usually copy-pasta the entire patch notes in the OP instead of just the intro.

also i was surprised by the size of the path
Old 2013-06-06, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
"Enemy Health Bar Change
Enemies farther than ten meters away will no longer display health bars when spotted; this applies to both infantry and vehicles."

WHAT THE HELL??
meh, who cares. it doesn't really make much of a difference, but it wasn't really an issue either. i guess it is a common sense thing, to add more of a challenge or whatevers.
Old 2013-06-06, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Hotfix June 7th, 2013 6AM PT (3PM CEST) (11pm AEST)
http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/...x_(2013/06/07)

Last edited by DirtyBird; 2013-06-06 at 09:46 PM.
Old 2013-06-06, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
doesn't really matter, it is just that you usually copy-pasta the entire patch notes in the OP instead of just the intro.

also i was surprised by the size of the path
Ah!

I wanted to, but formatting the entire thing is a royal pain didn't have time to reformat them 3 times.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-06-08, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Redshift
Major

Nah they're planning on implementing PS1 implants at somestage, you can bet one of those will be adv targetting.

They must be running out of idea's now personal shield and surge are used.
Old 2013-06-08, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Belhade
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DirtyBird View Post
Hotfix June 7th, 2013 6AM PT (3PM CEST) (11pm AEST)
http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/...x_(2013/06/07)
Which appears to be bigger than the GU10 itself. Well done.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion