Please delete the Pit, worst base ever - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only place your your PS:Next News!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-07, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

Please delete the Pit, worst base ever

The upcoming Esamir lattice overhaul it is a good opportunity to get rid of the horrible base design of the Pit forever.
That base must be the worst in the game. It serves no other function than to annoy the heck out of people. Defenders get reigned over from all sides while attackers frequently get their vehicles stuck when falling from the cliff. Designing a base to deliberately annoy player movement should not be a goal in itself.
I'm not a fan of butt hole base design to start with but at least J908 Impact Site on Indar has a cool bridge to fight over.
If you design a base for cool looks, make it so that it doesn't annoy player movement and vehicles get stuck in it.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-06-07 at 07:55 AM.
Old 2013-06-07, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: Please delete the Pit, worst base ever

Yeah, I hate that place and go out of my way to avoid it for exactly those reasons. Would love to see it removed or completely overhauled.

Old 2013-06-07, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

I occasionally fighting at the pit because it annoys the crap out of everyone else and allows for me to outsmart people in infantry versus infantry fights.

However it's useless for anything else, you can hardly get out of it because some walls are BARELY NOT climbable (which you notice as your character gets stuck when you're ALMOST at the top) there's no good access to it from outside, and there's no good way to get to the vehicle terminal and from there to anywhere else for defenders.

In short, it's the ass of the world, as we say in Germany, and in this case quite literally.
Old 2013-06-07, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

It's basically shooting ducks in a barrel in there.

The first time I saw it, to me it was just the epitome of bad PS2 base design and incomprehension of defensibility.
Old 2013-06-07, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Have to admit, its pretty bad. Needs redoing.
Old 2013-06-07, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Not every base should be easily defended.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-06-07, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Not every base should be easily defended.
Argument being sometimes players should just be used as sado-masochistic fodder?

Sorry, but this sounds like a load of crap. This isn't about being difficult, it's about being deliberately impossible. It's incredibly brilliant in it's complete and utter disregard of fair gameplay between two sides.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-06-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2013-06-07, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I dunno, I like the pit. It's all about Esamir's 'Go grab vehicles stupid' philosophy. Sure it suffers from the same spawn camping as almost every other base in the game...but that's also every other base in the game we're talking about.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-07, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Argument being sometimes players should just be used as sado-masochistic fodder?

Sorry, but this sounds like a load of crap. This isn't about being difficult, it's about being deliberately impossible. It's incredibly brilliant in it's complete and utter disregard of fair gameplay between two sides.
No. It's that that base isn't defensible from the inside so the ostensible defenders should figure out a different way to to deal with it. For example:
Retreat farther back, get vehicles and meet the enemy in the field rather than trying to shoot back from an untenable position.

Some people seem to want to have this neat and tidy "Drive the to base, OK vehicles are useless now against the people inside it so you have to go fight them man-to-man. Always. No exceptions"

It's about confrontation diversity. You should be able to hold some bases from the inside only, forcing infantry confrontation. Others should be readily rolled over by an armor group facing no armor resistance.
Why shouldn't vehicle power on the outside of a base be the most important factor to capturing the base in some occasions?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

All aboard the "fuck the Pit" bandwagon!
I say level the buildings, construct a 200m blast door on the ground and make Auraxis' first subterranean facility. Flashlights optional

Old 2013-06-07, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
All aboard the "fuck the Pit" bandwagon!
I say level the buildings, construct a 200m blast door on the ground and make Auraxis' first subterranean facility. Flashlights optional
Okay. I change my opinion from above because what Ruffdog suggests actually sounds pretty cool.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-06-07, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Okay. I change my opinion from above because what Ruffdog suggests actually sounds pretty cool.
and while the devs are on it, they could use this opportunity to build some nifty vanu relict into the underground base.

make it a archeological digsite.

a scaffolded cave with a giant vanu toilet inside would make for some cool multilevel vertical fighting.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-07, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
No. It's that that base isn't defensible from the inside so the ostensible defenders should figure out a different way to to deal with it. For example:
Retreat farther back, get vehicles and meet the enemy in the field rather than trying to shoot back from an untenable position.
Then why have that base exist?

Some people seem to want to have this neat and tidy "Drive the to base, OK vehicles are useless now against the people inside it so you have to go fight them man-to-man. Always. No exceptions"
Consider this: if you place infantry there by means of a spawnpoint and create an encirclement around them where vehicles can't play (aside from aircraft that can spam into it, while those inside can't fight back well) and infantry vs infantry is pretty crap inside there as well and you can't even get to the approaches and the vehicle pad because it's simply next to impossible to reach...

PERHAPS IT IS JUST CRAP.

It's about confrontation diversity.
NO. IT. IS. NOT.

If it was about that, there'd not be infantry spawns and there'd be a huge focus on vehicle acquisition there, or at least objectives that can only be secured with vehicles. WHICH THERE ISN'T BECAUSE IT HAS A STANDARD VEHICLE PAD AND THE CC MUST BE CAPTURED BY INFANTRY WHILE VEHICLES CAN HARDLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL BUT CAMP FROM SELECT ANGLES THERE.

You should be able to hold some bases from the inside only, forcing infantry confrontation. Others should be readily rolled over by an armor group facing no armor resistance.
Because the goal of a competitive game is to have no competition. RIGHT.

Why shouldn't vehicle power on the outside of a base be the most important factor to capturing the base in some occasions?
Why should it?

Last edited by Figment; 2013-06-07 at 10:28 AM.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Really ?

They named it "The PIT" for a reason. What did you expect ?

I like the toilet idea. BRILLIANT !
WHO DOESN'T want to play in a toilet ?

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-06-07 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
Really ?

They named it "The PIT" for a reason. What did you expect ?

I like the toilet idea. BRILLIANT !
WHO DOESN'T want to play in a toilet ?
the vs would use it as a spa or a drinking fountain for sure.
but who knows what an alien vanu toilet looks like? we don´t even know what the vanu look like, how big or small they are and what physical features they have! so it may look like a spa, a torture chamber, a crystal garden, a science base or like whatever.
and only years of research and reanslating of the ancient symbold on the thing would finally reveal, that it´s a toilet.
not that this would stop the vs drinking from it

something like the alien jockey in alien 1, where they found the alien eggs.
at that time nobody knew for sure what it was. could have been a pilot seat, a telescope, a toilet, a torture device or prisoners chair. you know, mysterious stuff rules the (scifi) world

there could even be some machinery in there with functionality. like an ancient healing terminal.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-06-07 at 10:52 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion