Creating Specialization within PS2s Class System; A solution - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We slapped your mother.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-04, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Realmofdarkness
Corporal

Re: Creating Specialization within PS2s Class System; A solution

What about dividing the cert points into classes/vehicles. The cert points you recieve playing one class/driving one vehicle can only be used on certs for that class/vehicle. This would mean that your favorite class would be better then the rest. you wont be able to 'buy' a better class by playing another.

So if you want to have a kick ass tank, then you have to drive that tank alot to get cert points for that tank. If you want to be a supreme combat med, you actually have to be a med and heal players.
Old 2012-10-04, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I generally like that model, but you have to be careful about how you do the gating. As an example, there were unlocks in Battlefield 3 that made the play before reaching them unpleasant. New players that wanted to fly jets or helicopters needed to play through a very frustrating gauntlet where they had no defensive countermeasures but everyone else had guided missiles. For how that sort of thing would effect PS2, we have no further to look than when everyone had rockets but bursters weren't yet unlockable.

The tl;dr here is that SOE needs to mindful of introducing frustrating gaps in gameplay were they to use such a model, or any model.
Old 2012-10-04, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Realmofdarkness View Post
What about dividing the cert points into classes/vehicles. The cert points you recieve playing one class/driving one vehicle can only be used on certs for that class/vehicle. This would mean that your favorite class would be better then the rest. you wont be able to 'buy' a better class by playing another.
This would be an improvement, but not a solution to me.

Ultimately I don't want every character to be able to do everything. Pre BR40 Planetside provided that. My original proposal in this thread from my perspective is a huge compromise, in order for it to fit in with PS2s existing system and keep the most people happy. If I was to really come up with something I ideally would want in PS2 the class system would be thrown out, there would be a cert cap, what you could equip would be based on armor type selection, and every vehicle and every weapon other than a starter pistol and carbine would cost certs to access. Then I'd give new players a bundle of certs to spend to start with, or let them progress very fast initially to begin to open stuff up and fill out some roles.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion