i feel useless in battle, help out. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Batman is a stalker!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2011-05-02, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

i feel useless in battle, help out.

Greetings.

Ive been playing PS, liek most of us, on and off since its release. since day one i have been almost exclusively a cloaker, and i really love it. but with such low pops these days, its rare i get enough confusion in the battle field for assassinations, and while jacking vehicles is fun, so often its quiet enough that im caught when i rek. i can still do both of these, but with the lesser pop, i honestly feel more useless in the battles. particularly inside battles.

in adition to infil, i have phanty/adv hack/uni-max/ground-air support

im BR19 CR 1. i dont have alot of exp outside infil, its been my profession for almost a ddecade now. ive done the engineering tree, med and sniper (sniping with phanty can be quite some fun) but ive never done much else, early on in ps my computer couldnt handle frontline battles.

now im willing to recert almost everything for a better exp, im using a newer account (2 yrs) so i dont have the rexo my other accounts do, and id rather not recert infil or phanty although i supose if im dropping hacking i could.

tl:dr i need a new cert loadout that focuses mostly on combat and less support, but ive always player support.
Old 2011-05-02, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Re: i feel useless in battle, help out.

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
i feel useless in battle, help out.
1) Hit Instant Action.

2) Exit spawn tube.

3) Equip Suppressor or other weapon (press 2?)

4) See red.

5) Squeeze mouse button.

Problem solved.
Old 2011-05-02, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
1) Hit Instant Action.

2) Exit spawn tube.

3) Equip Suppressor or other weapon (press 2?)

4) See red.

5) Squeeze mouse button.

Problem solved.
jeez, and to think SOE spent all that time on certifacations for absolutly no reason since evidently the supresser in SA is the absolute best stratagy in the world
Old 2011-05-02, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sgt Grizzly
Private

Greetings.

Ive been playing PS, liek most of us, on and off since its release. since day one i have been almost exclusively a cloaker, and i really love it. but with such low pops these days, its rare i get enough confusion in the battle field for assassinations, and while jacking vehicles is fun, so often its quiet enough that im caught when i rek. i can still do both of these, but with the lesser pop, i honestly feel more useless in the battles. particularly inside battles.

in adition to infil, i have phanty/adv hack/uni-max/ground-air support

im BR19 CR 1. i dont have alot of exp outside infil, its been my profession for almost a ddecade now. ive done the engineering tree, med and sniper (sniping with phanty can be quite some fun) but ive never done much else, early on in ps my computer couldnt handle frontline battles.

now im willing to recert almost everything for a better exp, im using a newer account (2 yrs) so i dont have the rexo my other accounts do, and id rather not recert infil or phanty although i supose if im dropping hacking i could.

tl:dr i need a new cert loadout that focuses mostly on combat and less support, but ive always player support.
If you're looking less for sneaky action and more up close and personal I would recommend the typical loadout for a grunt.

Rexo Suit
AV/Special Assault
Medium Assault/and or heavy assault
basic medical(allows u to be self sufficient in battle)
basic engineering("")
The rest is your choice but it's wise to have something like an ATV to get yourself from point A to be point without having to rely on anyone and without having to change your suit.

Loadouts vary from person to person but a typical one I use is:

Cycler or Shotgun/Decimator
Backpack: 3 medkits; about 200 rounds of ammo; another decimator.
Leaves room for either a rek or command uplink device. I go CUD since I don't attack towers alone unless I'm in my reaver/mosquito and that loadout equips a rek. Otherwise when Im in my rexo suit I'm usually around a few other guys too.

As for AV a good rule of thumb is: decimator inside, striker/lancer/pheonix outside.

Last edited by Sgt Grizzly; 2011-05-02 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2011-05-02, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

You may consider going AV. You probably won't rack up alot of kills, but it can be fun to turn away tank after tank, and even more fun to blow them up when they are trying to run away.

If you want to get a bunch of kills inside bases and towers, just get HA, keep agile, and fire away. Sure you'll get killed alot, but you should be able to get a kill or 2 before you die. You'll basically be a meat grinder so I don't know how much it will help those around you, but you'll get xp.

If you really wanna have fun though, get a Reaver. Just save your afterburners for when you run into AA and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 2011-05-02, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

thanks for replies, as silly as it seems, i havent really touched weapons or offencive vehicles since year one, and as an infil everything is deadly to me, and phanty's dont fight back, so i dont know of balence issues. for example the last time i flown a mossie, they were unable to kill much they were scouts. so i dont know the nerf record of items all that well.

now assumeing i drop ground/air support and unimax, that gives me around 12 certs. using that i really would like ot be effective inside and outside, i was thinking maybe light scout (mossie skyguard) and maybe special assult, though idk how effective it is, and i think im also short one cert.

im also interested in how much fun/useful the flail is, i know its killed me alot but i see few of them, most of the time while im jacking them. if i went for flail i could get the armored line, and the rexo+one of the specialized assults

opinions?
Old 2011-05-02, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

jeez, and to think SOE spent all that time on certifacations for absolutly no reason since evidently the supresser in SA is the absolute best stratagy in the world
It is if you know what you're doing.

You asked for help. I gave it to you. Don't be a fucking smartass if you don't want serious replies. Next time read the fucking manual, then.
Old 2011-05-02, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
It is if you know what you're doing.

You asked for help. I gave it to you. Don't be a fucking smartass if you don't want serious replies. Next time read the fucking manual, then.
wow, seriously man chill a bit. the manual doesnt actually tell you how the weapon handles in the game today, nore what is useful. it gives you an description of the weapon. and the VR fields also dont put you with real enemies under real conditions. if you concidered your response a real answer then im sorry i cant take it as one, because nobody in this game runs around uncerted doing war at all times. thats not useful, because you will get outgunned. two players of equal skill, one uncerted sa with supressor and one with a rexo and heavy assult, i know who im placing my bets on.

i really dont know why your being hostile, alls i did was ask people what a decent current loadout would be for battles, in a discussion forum about that, because the last time i played things were not like they are now, so im unaware how things handle.

and to be honest, i took your reply as a smartass remark, like a joke, so i responded with a smartass joke of my own.
Old 2011-05-02, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dizeez
Private

If you really feel useless, put on a purple fucking jumpsuit and try pointing your fingers are people instead of using a gun. oh, wait, we have VS for that...
Old 2011-05-02, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Raymac
Brigadier General

and to be honest, i took your reply as a smartass remark, like a joke, so i responded with a smartass joke of my own.
It's best not to get into it with Firefly. He may have given a bit of a smart ass response, but just let it slide. He has the ability to take any debate down to the deepest depthes of depravity, and you don't want to go there.

As for the balance, you may just have to figure out what weapon you feel most comfortable with which is really just a bunch of trial and error. (meaning you will die alot)

I've seen a number of good pilots in mosqs, but reavers really own the skies. Anytime I get into a "floating turret" dogfight with a mosq, my reaver always always always wins. It has less to do with my skill and more to do with my armor and firepower.

Ditching Uni-max is a good idea, but you may find yourself going back and picking up one of the max certs. Personally, I like to use the AI-max to "move the pile" in indoor fights. AA-max may be your empire's only real AA as well. Seems everyone carries a decimator now so your lifespan won't be what it was 6 years ago, but maxes can be fun.

Also, Special Assault is not all that great unless your goal is to pile up grief points. Those cert points may be better spent on something else.
Old 2011-05-02, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
As for the balance, you may just have to figure out what weapon you feel most comfortable with which is really just a bunch of trial and error. (meaning you will die alot)
yeah, i just am hoping i dont need a week of recerting to do something like this, not to mention while servers are down for god knows how long i figured id get opinions.

I've seen a number of good pilots in mosqs, but reavers really own the skies. Anytime I get into a "floating turret" dogfight with a mosq, my reaver always always always wins. It has less to do with my skill and more to do with my armor and firepower.
yeah, i only brought up mossie because at release (when i flew one) they were fairly useless outside of their orginal role, scouting.an example of the way these things have changed since i used them.i spent most of the years as a cloaker with full hacking full engie and medic, phanty was really my first vehicle, and other then ant runs, the only one ive really pioleted.

Ditching Uni-max is a good idea, but you may find yourself going back and picking up one of the max certs. Personally, I like to use the AI-max to "move the pile" in indoor fights. AA-max may be your empire's only real AA as well. Seems everyone carries a decimator now so your lifespan won't be what it was 6 years ago, but maxes can be fun.yeah my orginal intention for uni-max was to be more useful to the team, and ive never used nc maxes before, i was mainly a TR back then.and i havent found the aa max to useful and av max does great dmg, but i feel like id do more dmg fireing over a wall with our av weapon.

Also, Special Assault is not all that great unless your goal is to pile up grief points. Those cert points may be better spent on something else.i figured that would be the case with it. but thanks for the heads up.
thanks for the reply, replied in red.

on this what do you think of the flail as an option? and does the deci still take infantry out in a ridiculous fashion?
Old 2011-05-03, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raymac
Brigadier General

on this what do you think of the flail as an option? and does the deci still take infantry out in a ridiculous fashion?
Flail? If you enjoyed the support role, you may like it, but I found it got real old real fast. You sit far away from the battle, firing beyond visual range, and watch for kill spam and hope you don't hit friendlies. It gets a little boring.
Also, it's imperative you have someone spotting for you, or else you won't be effective at all. Also, you pretty much have to have AA to cover your back. Personally, anytime I see flail fire, I jump in my reaver, follow it to the source and neutralize it.

The Deci? I don't think it's as effective at taking down infantry, but it is definitely the weapon of choice for taking out maxes indoors. If you are outdoors, their projectile speed is a little slow for my taste, but that doesn't affect it indoors.

I didn't know you were TR, so yeah, you probably just want to get rid of maxes altogether. Your AV lock on is probably far more battle effective than any of the maxes.
Old 2011-05-05, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Amdefor
Private

If you like to cloak, use boomers. If you add Phantasm to it, be sure to put medkits and ACEs in its trunk. You can fly close to the enemy and set up mines and/or spits or boomer people running from a door to the vpad (or on the vpads). Be sure to keep moving or you'll probably get just one kill. (Boomer vpad, boomer stairs, boomer front door, boomer lobby term, boomer gen once and set up a boomer outside the gen to kill responder(s), etc. Sensor shield is a must for sneaking into enemy bases for kills.

You mentioned NC MAXs. If you have the Scat, just look for bases under alert (usually on Esamir from the VS and Amerish from the TR), pull a Scat, and rack up kills. Try to get at least 1 kill by focusing on 1 enemy at a time, and be sure to use your MAX shield.

Also, be sure to jump into the biggest squads you can find, and join them on whatever cont they're fighting on. If they're split on multiple conts/caves, or if the squad shrinks too much, leave and join a different/larger one. Stay close to the bulk of members too for the biggest EXP rewards.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion