PSU: Hamma lives in the PSU server.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2002-10-10, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PSI Dr X
Sergeant

a tip for ur forum PSU

remove the ability to use html in posts (and sigs dunno if that's on) you can do some really nasty stuff with it (believe me I speak on experience)
Old 2002-10-10, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
eMaGyN
Major

The signatures are an option that we give to our members...PSU hopes to have mature members... and as of right now, we have very mature and intelligent members that know how to conduct themselves properly.
Signatures are a way of expression on the forum, and just an overall neat and creative idea.
If something was to happen to where a person was to abuse this right and have something obscene or act in a unappreciative manner, then this would result in that person's punishment... not at the suffer of every member.

html codes, images, links...all that will remain to be available to the members we have here
In fact we encourage the creativity and sharing of information that our members have already displayed.

Dr-X i realize that you are currently highly active in another PS community... but i don't think you truely understand that.
You are currently highly active in ANOTHER PS community...
Another to be emphasized to show you that PSU doesn't aim to be a site that copies or follows the lead of other sites, but to make their own way and bring things to our members as we see fit.
Don't take me wrong, you are more than welcome to post here, check news here, comment and suggest many things... I love to see creative minds at work... but i can't help but to feel your misconception that PSU should base themselves on the already exisiting sites of this community, while what we are attempting to do is set ourself from the rest.

eMa
Old 2002-10-10, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
THrONeBeaST
Sexy Beast

owned

/me ema

Dragonwolves - Recruting Officer

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Old 2002-10-10, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Actully, eMa barely mentioned the point of the post, he is talking about html exploits not sigs. a month or so (i think, i suck with dates) ago we managed to offend TW and ended up with hampsters with dildos up their ass covering every page for a while (none who could do anything about it was on) and later on, we had another incedent with the exact same people that i missed. He is just trying to help us avoid getting stuck in the same situation where we have to ban 20 somethin IPs and have generally a very shitty time for a few weeks.

That being said, i don't think there will be a problem with that here.
Old 2002-10-10, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
eMaGyN
Major

Re: a tip for ur forum PSU

Originally posted by PSI|Dr-X
remove the ability to use html in posts (and sigs dunno if that's on) you can do some really nasty stuff with it (believe me I speak on experience)
I focused on this because of my graphics background

and i mentioned the maturity level of our members So none of the problems are expected from you guys

eMa
Old 2002-10-10, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Incompetent
Actully, eMa barely mentioned the point of the post, he is talking about html exploits not sigs. a month or so (i think, i suck with dates) ago we managed to offend TW and ended up with hampsters with dildos up their ass covering every page for a while (none who could do anything about it was on) and later on, we had another incedent with the exact same people that i missed. He is just trying to help us avoid getting stuck in the same situation where we have to ban 20 somethin IPs and have generally a very shitty time for a few weeks.

That being said, i don't think there will be a problem with that here.
Theres the prob, TW members are 85% immature momo's

We will cross that bridge if they ever drop by my forums. - if somthing like that happens, it will be handled on a case by case basis.. and if it happens on a large scale, HTML just will be disabled

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-10, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
THrONeBeaST
Sexy Beast

If people are going to be immature an asses to do that stuff , then they need to be gone , not be a burden to the rest of us or the staff etc. People have better stuff to do then have to sit on a forum all day trying to watch out for others that cant behave .

Dragonwolves - Recruting Officer

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Old 2002-10-10, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I like having it on personally.
Old 2002-10-10, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
PSI Dr X
Sergeant

actually incompetent I wasn't even pointing to that.

HTML can do real damage to the point of remving everyone's admin option and so and putting a code up that automaticly let's people post but not see the thread, it just takes you to a tnx for posting and creates a new thread (we had that in our early days)

Ema I do understand that I'm in another community, point is I'm not saying his for u guys to copy us (hell we got sigs and all aswell)

I'm saying this for your own good I know the trouble HTML enabeled can bring it's not fun seeing 5 gig of bandwith goign trough the drain and having to clean out the entire MYSQL database and reinstalling the forum with all hacks and such.

And hamma u might think u have mature people and all, so does PSI (well mainly) but new members show up all the time and not all are here to jsut have a good time.

If u simply wanna ignore this, fine do it then I could care less, but just know I warned you. (on another note almost everything that can be done with html can be done with bb code aswell except the stuff that's harmfull)

Greetings Dr-X
Old 2002-10-10, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
afex
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by PSI|Dr-X
HTML can do real damage to the point of remving everyone's admin option
no it cant
Old 2002-10-10, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
PSI Dr X
Sergeant

actually it can afex, or in some way it can get someone's login and then remove the rest of the admins (like it did to Treize)

And don't give me more BS like no it can't do that either (said the last thing wrong) cuz we DID have that.
Old 2002-10-10, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
afex
Contributor
Major

no, actually i know FOR A FACT that html cannot gain or remove admin from users.

maybe your admins should be more careful with their passwords?
Old 2002-10-10, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
PSI Dr X
Sergeant

perhaps ever came to the conclusion that it was able to change an E-mail adress or something like that and request the pass.

All I know is that it fucked our forum up 3 times...

Hey Afex ur in the TW community aren't u?
Old 2002-10-10, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

k well anyway im ending this thread

I do nightly backups of the entire site, web, forum, irc, databases.. the whole deal. and im going to be starting off site backups..

so if somthing got seriously hosed, i can just restore it.

gg's

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge