Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where chicks dig the backpack
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-23, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities

Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post
Well the only real answer is to give the VS a mobility based ability since tactical/strategic flexibility as well as firepower and defense abilitys are out of the question.

TR have firepower, NC have defence and flexible is the opposite of what a max is.

So, what sort of mobility is appropriate? Strategic mobility I presume is avalible to all maxes in the form of autorun, mobility that alows the max to get to places that no other max can seems to be taboo for some reason, so the last option is tactical mobility.

I think a reimagining of the jetpack would work here. Instead of a jetpack designed to gain height like in PS1, a jetpack that alows short/low but fast hops would be a good option, this would alow the VS to dodge attacks or to advance or retreat from an encounter to gain tactical advantage.

So how would this work?
simple: tap the activation button and you hop 5 meters in the direction your max was moving, the jump would be almost instantainous in its initiation and would be fast in flight, but would only get about 0.5m off the ground and when you land there would be a 0.5second delay before you can fire or move and on top of that another 0.5second delay before you can initiate another jump giving a good opponent time to react and adjust their fire.
A short hop like this would take about 1/4 of the energy bar alowing for four jumps before having to recharge.

A longer jump of 15m or so can be used by holding down the activation button, this would work in the same way as the shorter hops but would use the whole bar of energy. This is useful outside to dodge vehicle fire or to gain ground on an opponent.

These jumps would not stop you from taking falling dammage. The hops can also be combined with a standard jump (if maxes are able to) to gain another half meter of height (1m total) to alow it to use the ability to get over low cover such as the stacks of boxes in PS1.
This is a super good idea, too.
Someone else said to use a dodge mechanic, but I was thinking more like a slide that kind of threw me off. As well as I was still trying to advocate the upwards jets idea. If this used the wing-packs as a energy burst for the movement I'd see it happening well enough.

Specially since people are bound and determined to shoot as many holes as possible into the upward movement jets idea.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-23 at 05:27 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-23, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think a sort of hover-mode recommended earlier where they can glide about a lot faster than MAX normally could is effectively what the hopping mechanism is. Just like the magrider and the scythe use magnetic fields to glide about the max could engage the same sort of mechanic to allow it to move its big bulky self around faster than the other MAX.

so a sort of quasi-run mode where the max can maneuver about but still shoot normally. Not as fast as run mode but with more control. Noticably faster than normal movement to allow it to escape or do a quick flanking maneuver or a quick breach into a hot room or area. Something the other MAX can't really do all that effectively. Something like this would last I dunno 5-7 seconds and be usable roughly once every 30 seconds or so? Seems like a good benefit.

Outside against vehicles it gives a mobility advantage to avoid damage, inside it can be used for flanking and breaching or simply just rushing.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-03-23 at 05:50 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
HalfManHalfGod
Private

Sorry if this has been suggested before but what about a charge up ability sort of like the Mega Man series? This fits with their energy weapons.

When you enable the ability the projectiles move much faster then normal, less damage degradation over a distance with more damage pershot. Maybe even add splash damage like dare I say the Lasher?

Last edited by HalfManHalfGod; 2012-03-23 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Well it's nice to see all the ideas I came up with on my own have already been posted.

Love the idea of auto-run giving VS MAXs hover properties so they can cross water. This can easily tie into the 5m jumps that Seagoon mentioned. Though you might tool it like how armored core handles its faster movements. Here's a video of what I mean, obviously there wouldn't be flight or jumping. Video
Old 2012-03-23, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
garinarbis
Private

this idea might be bad, but I got it just a second ago, and its not polished at all...

What about a ability to make your max suit unfold some stuff from the boot's, making it stationary and giving it a shield 30% of total armor, and a little increase in fire rate or something

But unable to go back to walking mode for 10 seconds..

Edit: wait isnt VS the most manuverable faction? my bad

Last edited by garinarbis; 2012-03-23 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Duddy
First Sergeant

I'm still of the mind that it should be a "dash" like ability, allowing for short bursts of accelerated motion.

I feel it lends itself best to a mobility theme that can be used both offensively and defensively.

Offensively it can be used to close the gap between the MAX and it's targets, helping get it out of open space where it is vulnerable. (Perhaps with physics as they are it might do damage if you thrust into someone's face, lol)

Defensively it allows the MAX to potentially evade incoming threats or make an escape where necessary.

As for how it would work? I foresee two options;
  1. Drain Capacitor - This would mean that pressing the ability key, at any time would allow you to activate the acceleration in the direction you were already going (forward by default). It would be limited by capacity, with a total short duration to prevent it's use as a pseudo auto-run, and would recharge moderately.
  2. Burst Capacitor - This would allow for a quick short burst in the direction you were going once again, but for a fixed duration. The ability could have a minor CD (2-3 seconds) and would again be limited by a capacitor, but would regenerate more quickly.

I prefer the "burst" method as it allows for easier balance of the skill, it also makes it fairer to play against as you would know how many dashes could be done in total in a short period so you could plan accordingly.

Naturally I think that it should be impossible to fire whilst doing either.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
RNFB
First Sergeant

Slap on a double-jump and call it a day. If people complain, patch it.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
DayOne
Captain

Anyone suggested climbing?

Increased manoeuvrability and easily countered by some sot of "anti-climbing" deployable. Like barbed wire on a fence, but more energy based.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
Anyone suggested climbing?

Increased manoeuvrability and easily countered by some sot of "anti-climbing" deployable. Like barbed wire on a fence, but more energy based.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...9&postcount=34

and

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=67

But face it the NC is strong in this thread, which is a pity as many of us are going to have only very limited reasons to be playing VS as opposed to the other two factions, which will leave the game looking fairly unbalanced.

Pfff, don't really give a stuff anymore.
Old 2012-03-24, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by DaddyTickles View Post
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...9&postcount=34

and

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=67

But face it the NC is strong in this thread, which is a pity as many of us are going to have only very limited reasons to be playing VS as opposed to the other two factions, which will leave the game looking fairly unbalanced.

Pfff, don't really give a stuff anymore.
I play Vanu and I don't think they should climb. T-Ray is Vanu as well and doesn't think they should also.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I think it should be pointed out that they've announced the common pool MAX ability "Charge". I don't think they've told us exactly what it does but my assumption would be that it works as a forward dash. Some sort of a shoulder assisted dash ability would be useful, but I worry it might feel a bit samey.
Old 2012-03-24, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Just let them keep their beloved jump...I love shooting clay pigeons!

PULL!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-24, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

If horizontal mobility isn't practical due to charge, etc, then a good beneift IMO would be a charge-up ability. The problem there is that there are two common pool MAX weapons (flamethrower AI & flak AA) that wouldn't be affected.

Vertical mobility for the VS MAX is ridiculous. We can be more creative than that without completely upsetting the MAX balance.

Horizontal mobility is great. I think the value defensively against vehicles is still good, and indoors horizontal mobility gets you breaching & flanking, which are great abilities.

A charge to all MAX would lessen the value of horizontal mobility, but perahaps not. It depends on how the charge mechanic works and how often it can be used. The VS benefits are accuracy and maneuverability. I think horizontal mobility on MAX capacitor fits well. Accuracy would be the other thing to explore, but again I don't see how it fits with the common pool max weapons.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Kran De Loy
Captain

So pretty much the more one seriously thinks about it the more that a short horizontal dash becomes the preferred method.

Seriously I just want something to do with enhanced mobility.

Someone put it to a poll thread and see what comes of up.

Like: VS MAX ability
Not including technical details such as speed and time of use that can be adjusted in game, should the VS MAX ability be a Limited Horizontal Dash?

-Yes, because...
-No, because...
-Maybe, if...
-No Opinion.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The problem there is that there are two common pool MAX weapons (flamethrower AI & flak AA) that wouldn't be affected.
That's true (although I'm suddenly trying to picture a lockdown flamethrower MAX ). I feel like we're sort of coming up short here. It seems like we've mostly just got horizontal move enhancers and charge shots. As much as I do like the idea of a horizontal dodge (dodging with the jumppack, for those of us that played Space Marine) I feel like we can do better. Even the TR managed to come up with 2 ways to shoot more.

I'm going to start just listing stuff regardless of sensibility:

DoT effect: Variation on the charge shot idea. The MAX uses its capactior to apply an incendiary effect to its projectiles. I envision this being a damage field that appears at the impact point and persists for a couple of seconds, but it could also work as setting a target on fire, or a combination of the two. The flamethrower probably does this already, but perhaps the special would enhance the effect? And turn it green? >_>

Remote Drone: The suit can divert capacitor to a small nano-factory that will assemble a remote drone. I'm envisioning it as a reconnaissance tool but you could also make it a flying bomb or give it a weapon or a more esoteric payload.

Cloaking/Chameleon: This is off of Grognard's idea, I think it's worth playing with. The VS MAX has the capacity to cloak for a short duration. Moving while in this state drains the capacitor quickly. You might make it down a hall, but not much farther. The slower one moves the more efficient the generator is. When stationary there is no/almost no drain on the capacitor, but it won't recharge. This makes the VS an unpredictable opponent, as their MAXes can sometimes appear from what was thought to be secured territory.

More brain dumps as thoughts are produced.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2012-03-24 at 03:10 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion