Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-08-03, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GreenBanana
Private

Question Being better at FPS

Hello!
In anticipation of PlanetSide 2, I began trying to be better at FPS.
Currently i'm playing Battlefield P4F because the close quarters maps really improve my reaction speed and the bigger maps allow for better vehicle awareness, both of which are skills that are needed if I wish to succeed in PlanetSide 2.

My question is: what do you do to be better at FPS? Can you suggest any games/videos/guides?

Notice:If you are suggesting games, don't suggest Tribes:Ascend or Blacklight Retribution because everyone knows about them, plus the visor and the skiing mechanic makes these games far too different from traditional FPS.
Old 2012-08-03, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: Being better at FPS

Ive been playing BF3 to warm up myself, mainly cos the gunplay is supposedly quite similar.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-08-03, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreenBanana View Post
Hello!
In anticipation of PlanetSide 2, I began trying to be better at FPS.
Currently i'm playing Battlefield P4F because the close quarters maps really improve my reaction speed and the bigger maps allow for better vehicle awareness, both of which are skills that are needed if I wish to succeed in PlanetSide 2.

My question is: what do you do to be better at FPS? Can you suggest any games/videos/guides?

Notice:If you are suggesting games, don't suggest Tribes:Ascend or Blacklight Retribution because everyone knows about them, plus the visor and the skiing mechanic makes these games far too different from traditional FPS.
Don't use automatic weapons.
Get a 15"-17" screen.
Music (Rock/Metal for me) while playing helps certain players.
Drink one strong coffee before tournaments.
Mental training and focus.
Get a common but working mouse, no wireless mice.
Training.

Source: Hardcore FPS gaming experience.
Old 2012-08-03, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gugabalog
Major

Get a microphone, headphones, and TS3.

^ Really help with community and coordination. (Headphones are there to prevent feedback)
Old 2012-08-03, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

He was talking about aim and such things I think.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

No one can tell you how to be better at FPS. You have to learn how to aim and shoot by yourself.
Old 2012-08-06, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ait'al
Contributor
General

The key to being good at an FPS is utter randomness and unpredictability. And the ability to make others act the same! 8d

Because not matter how much you strategies or how well you do it it's always that stupid random pain in the ass thing out of nowhere that always gets you! The lesson of life and morality! 8D

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-08-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 2012-08-07, 01:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Practice.
Dont keep changing things the minute it doesn't work, give it some time first.
Old 2012-08-07, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Canaris
Contributor
General

watch copious amounts of Band of Brothers, why? Cos it's great!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-08-07, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

Get a pair of steel series gaming glasses. It will increase your skill level by 30%
Old 2012-08-07, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
adddemon
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
The key to being good at an FPS is utter randomness and unpredictability. And the ability to make others act the same! 8d

Because not matter how much you strategies or how well you do it it's always that stupid random pain in the ass thing out of nowhere that always gets you! The lesson of life and morality! 8D
i know that feel, i hate it too, makes me feel so helpless to try and get any better at the game.
Old 2012-08-07, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fyrn
Contributor
General

As others have said - there really is no guides or a "thing" that makes you better at FPS.

The good thing in Planetside is that you can succeed without being good at shooting people, as part of a team, a pilot, a driver, support, scouting, etc.

If aiming is one of your concerns: get a solid mouse from a well known brand, e.g. SteelSeries Senseis, Logitech MX518/G400, some like the RAT series (it's heavy, you'll have to get used to it) and stick with it forever. Never buy another make or brand and use it as much as possible.

Also: disable all aiming assistance and accelerations. You want direct translation of your movement to the game. At first, it'll feel harder and you might not be as "good" as you were before - don't change anything, just keep going. Because what helped you at first will eventually become your biggest problem (and halt any progress) as you get faster and more precise.

And last: if you're like me and like commanding people you will need battlefield awareness. Any game/mode in games that has A LOT of stuff going on at once is good training for that, like leading World of Warcraft (or any larger 20+ man) raids or if that's not an option then RTS games like Starcraft 2. You'll have to train your subconscious to pick up things that don't directly relate to you, e.g.: someone else standing in fire or the blip of a banshee on your minimap

For the Glory of the Republic. Death to all traitors and fanatics.

Last edited by Fyrn; 2012-08-07 at 06:20 AM.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Pella
Captain

Positive mental attitude.

Always expect to win. If you hesitate you have already lost.

If you loose. Learn and adapt.

Never hate on players that are better than you. Learn from them and you will be better than them in the long run.

Play 8 Hours a day like a boss.
Old 2012-08-07, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
GreenBanana
Private

Thanks for all the answers!
Now i understand why there are people with a K/D of 35/8.
Old 2012-08-13, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by adddemon View Post
i know that feel, i hate it too, makes me feel so helpless to try and get any better at the game.
That is also the strategy of upredictability. It's solid strategy! In fact it is all of strategy. Plan and no plan(technically do what the other guy does not. The no plan can be more likely to find a way around. Planning is trying to fill in as much or to concentrate a specific or if better complex task. It is then tested by if the actions go around from the no plan!). Nothing else really matters. You always win by doing what the other guy can't predict. there is nothing else to war!

Though in things like planetside being able to do basic strategies either directly or through intuition of the situation is helpfull. That comes out to basically just understanding the situation. We need to fire on this with x people to overcome him and not spend time healing or survive to continue going forward etc. Basicly action counter over and over. It's more complicated but I'm too tired to elaborate affectively. 8)

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-08-13 at 02:39 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion