Why use Galaxies (gal drop tactic) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware - Reavers!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-17, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Why use Galaxies (gal drop tactic)

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
You mean the one that could be disabled?
Which only is feasible after Gal drops become unnecessary...

Old 2012-07-17, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Which only is feasible after Gal drops become unnecessary...
Facility Linked Benefit
Old 2012-07-17, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
MrMorton
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
So what is the incentive to use them, compared to PS1?

Yes, I know they wil be a spawn point, although a highly visible one. But consider that +1 for the gal-drop side.

On the negative:
In PS1, when certs were scarce not everyone had a fast transport certed.
In PS1, if you piloted an aircraft you had to wear light armoum whereas a gal drop would contain maxes + Full Rexo attack troops.
Even in PS1 and especially recently gal drops often get slaughtered.

In ps2:
any troop excluding maxes can fly aircraft
everyone has access to the cert
wouldn't a mossie swarm be more effective? (bailers could either be Light Assault or equip ejection seats)

But, the devs want to encourage gal drops as people enjoy them, it seems to me other than prviding visuals to Ride of the Valkeries there is little reason to do it.

Perhaps I've missed something.
the resource cost, its very cost efficient to use a galaxy to drop, rather than dumping +13k (based on e3 pricing) on 12 mossies.

also the galaxy pilot can further increase cost efficiency by not dying, and possibly doing another drop, where as bailing out of your mossie/reaver/scythe is throwing it away.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

I agree that it's not overly obvious what the benefit of a gal is going to be. In PS1, it was very important to get everybody to drop at the same time to get everyone indoors and minimize the amount of time that the squad would be out in the open. When you do multiple mossie drops, no matter how organized, people are going to be spread out and someone's probably going to be lagging behind and dying.

Maxes were important to have as well because you had to fight to the CC/gen and you needed some firepower/armor to work your way in there. With the capture points as open and defenseless as they are, I don't know how important the Max is for a hotdrop. We seriously haven't seen one iota of capture point defense at all yet; people get the capture and then leave and the point gets recaptured by someone else 10 seconds later. Maybe the Max will be an important capture point defense buster.

I am also skeptical of the Gal as spawn point. Can the Gal land somewhere in a hot zone and not get blown up in 2 seconds? This has been covered a billion times already and we're just going to have to wait to see how it it's implemented.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-17, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

1) The primary reason you use Galaxy drops is force concentration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_concentration

2) To carry MAX. MAX won't be flying aircraft - that was an E3 only thing. So if you want to bring MAX quickly and efficiently to a location, it'll be with a Sunderer or Galaxy.

3) Resource cost. Galaxies use different resources than attack aircraft and tanks. Sure you could use aircraft to hot-drop like PS1 but unlike PS1 it will cost a lot more of your ES aircraft resource to deploy a squad of 10 that way than via a Galaxy.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Canaris
Contributor
General

Honestly only stupid gal drops get slaughtered, dropping your squad into the middle of a fight with the base defenses on full alert what do you expect,

when we do gal drops we do them smart, you send in a scout/s first to make sure the area you want to drop is safe and have them prime an EMP or OS if necessary once the coast is clear or the enemy is looking the other way, you charge in the Gals drop off the troops who have a specific target in mind, Spawn room or Gen room are the usuals.
The Maxes breach the defenses as the heavy hitters supported by the infantry or sometimes the other way around if you need to keep the big brutes safe for smashing time.
sure sometimes bad luck will cause the drop to fail but those are usually exceptions

I for one can't wait to see the new style Gal drops in action, I have a feeling we'll see a lot more Blitzkrieg style attacks on bases due to the nature of the multi points needed for capture

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-07-17 at 11:36 AM.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
The problem with Gal drops in PS1 was the All Seeing Radar. But in general I'd prefer Vietnam chopper drops to AC-130 HALO drops.
C-130.

If you start seeing AC-130's doing HALO drops AND giving artillery support from the sky though, lemme know cause I wanna see that shit.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
noxious
Second Lieutenant

The Enclave will be giving "Why use Galaxies" demonstrations soon. You will understand then (Especially if you're not TR).
Old 2012-07-17, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Dubious
Sergeant

Time will see if galaxy can be configured to be a effective gunship, with maybe some additional seats
Old 2012-07-17, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SgtExo
Staff Sergeant

Gal drops are starting to make me think of the terran dropships from starcraft and how all the troops would just drop down into a base and wreak havoc if you could get into there.
Old 2012-07-17, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

only stupidly planned, high altitude galdrops get slaughtered.

go low alt or don't bother.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-07-17, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Haro
Master Sergeant

Please, for the good of everyone here, don't dignify Bloodworth's posts with any sort of response.

Malorn summed everything up pretty well, I'll just add that fighters are fragile, and galaxies are tough. If you mossie swarm, losses are practically inevitable if your target has any defenses. Galaxies are far more likely to survive and deliver everyone intact.
Old 2012-07-17, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't personally believe Galaxies will be hampered with all the other ways to get to a base. Especially with the SOI coming back. They are invaluable tools for that.

I just do not think "Running out of resources" will be a possibility.
Old 2012-07-17, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
robocpf1
First Sergeant

I'll say what I've said in other threads.

Trying to get 60 people to pull aircraft separately will take ages. 10 minutes later when you're still waiting on vehicle queues, the guys that pulled and loaded two Galaxies within the first minute will have taken the next base.

A lot of it comes down to cost and timing. It isn't cost-efficient or time-efficient to use separate aircraft.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion