Ever experience issues with multi-key pressing and keybindings? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 10 Quotes per hour? Staffs getting lazy...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-06, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Ever experience issues with multi-key pressing and keybindings?

It often seems I can't change weapons while running (shift + 2 when switching from sniper to gun in particular), or activating a special ability (shift + F most notably).

Is this because the game is sees shift-F and shift-2 as separate multi-key combination inputs and doesn't recognise them as independent input?

Also annoying, when I press ALT-F for a framerate check, it virtually always activates the special ability bound to F and also tabs to the mouse pointer mode.

I've also noticed that while in chatmode, A and D keep controlling my tank's (turret?) rotation.

Anyone else have such issues where input is recognised as something else, or not recognised at all? Perhaps some reasonable solutions or keybind rebinding suggestions?
Old 2013-02-06, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Ever experience issues with multi-key pressing and keybindings?

I've definitely noticed this as well.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-02-06, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
It often seems I can't change weapons while running (shift + 2 when switching from sniper to gun in particular), or activating a special ability (shift + F most notably).

Is this because the game is sees shift-F and shift-2 as separate multi-key combination inputs and doesn't recognise them as independent input?

Also annoying, when I press ALT-F for a framerate check, it virtually always activates the special ability bound to F and also tabs to the mouse pointer mode.

I've also noticed that while in chatmode, A and D keep controlling my tank's (turret?) rotation.

Anyone else have such issues where input is recognised as something else, or not recognised at all? Perhaps some reasonable solutions or keybind rebinding suggestions?

I don't have these issues, at least not all of them. When I hit Alt-F it does bring up the mouse pointer but it does not activate the F ability. The only time I notice my keystrokes effecting the game is when I was typing, die, and then continue typing when I respawn (naded a few allies like that)

I know in other games certain keyboards have issues with multiple keypresses not being recognized.. My first suggestion if your keystrokes are being ignored is to check if you have drivers installed for your keyboard, as dumb as that sounds. If there are none, it could simply be a limitation of the keyboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)
Old 2013-02-06, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Keyboard Ghosting.

For a quick test, hold down both shift keys and type the alphabet: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

My work keyboard output: ABDEFGHIJKLNOPQRSUW

As you can see the keys that didn't type would need to be avoided on this dell keyboard if I was using it for gaming.

My Deck keyboard and my Ergodex Pad at home will output the full alphabet doing the above test.
Old 2013-02-06, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I have had to bind F1 and Alt+F1 (F1 through F12 really) to my switch seats because there appears to be a phantom alt press. Same deal with tab for the scoreboard. If I don't have the alt and non alt binds the action I'm trying to take won't work intermittently.

I have a logitech keyboard, corsair M90 mouse and a nostromo hooked up.
Old 2013-02-06, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The "phantom alt" is a consequence of alt tabbing. Alt or tab will get stuck sometimes, just hit it twice and it should sort itself out.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-02-06, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Didn't cyclesmchurtz write a long post about this in the beta forums?
Old 2013-02-06, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Wargrim
Sergeant

It is not just keyghosting. I notice it mostly when flying: The game does not accept more than two movement keys/commands at one time. And it is key combinations that never gave me problems in other games.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion