Infantry only areas - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma was here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-19, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Infantry only areas

Are these areas going to be inaccessible from ground fire and aircraft as in saying can I fly a reaver down in there blast someone and swoop out? Or as a prowler sit on a cliff side or right angle to drop shells right inside those areas? I know tanks cant physically drive in them from what I saw on gdc
Old 2012-04-19, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Infantry only areas

Indoors for one.
Old 2012-04-19, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SKYeXile
Major General

i think you will find that biolabs, inside the dome is infantry only while sort of having an instanced feel to them without aircraft.

presumably the domes cant be destroyed.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-04-19, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Indoors for one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxc5...e_gdata_player

Go to 20 min that is what I am curious about I thought that was infantry only, it looks like I can see the sky or a tank can get up to the entrance and fire down the way
Old 2012-04-19, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

Where are the tank only areas?
Old 2012-04-19, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Bridges also has a roof for cover from air.
What's wrong with indoors?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-19, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

We're trying really hard to make sure the "vehicle heavy" areas and the "infantry heavy" areas stay that way. Obviously all of planetside 2 is about vehicles and infantry fighting together but there are spots where we want specific types of fights to be happening.

Like some of the outposts are meant for vehicles to STAY OUT, so if we go to beta and vehicles are ruining these places we will probably have to make changes.

All part of the process
Old 2012-04-19, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
We're trying really hard to make sure the "vehicle heavy" areas and the "infantry heavy" areas stay that way. Obviously all of planetside 2 is about vehicles and infantry fighting together but there are spots where we want specific types of fights to be happening.

Like some of the outposts are meant for vehicles to STAY OUT, so if we go to beta and vehicles are ruining these places we will probably have to make changes.

All part of the process
I have only played a few hours of PS1, and that was recently, but it seems to me like battles very quickly end up infantry only with defenders camping doorways and attackers throwing themselves at the doors en masse to get through. What will you be doing to encourage more battles out in the field which must be won before the siege of a base can proceed?
Old 2012-04-19, 10:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I have only played a few hours of PS1, and that was recently, but it seems to me like battles very quickly end up infantry only with defenders camping doorways and attackers throwing themselves at the doors en masse to get through. What will you be doing to encourage more battles out in the field which must be won before the siege of a base can proceed?
Agreed. Spend a few minutes bombarding them and destroying their vehicle terminal and then it's all indoor infantry unless there is a vehicle counterattack from another base.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Well back in old ps1 days I remember hossin for the.fact there were alot if trees in the way for amor and aircraft alot of those base seiges were based around infantry. (given it was poplocked)

well I am all for these areas all questions will be answered in beta I supose..

Last edited by Artimus; 2012-04-19 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Agreed. Spend a few minutes bombarding them and destroying their vehicle terminal and then it's all indoor infantry unless there is a vehicle counterattack from another base.
Well, I didn't mean fights that would simply be outdoors as in right outside the base, I meant fights that might occur 2-3 km away and then once the attackers win that they can proceed to the base. It just seems to me that it's basically most often Empire A's huge force attacks empire B's base with inf only defenders, while B's huge force attacks A's base with inf only defenders.
Old 2012-04-19, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
Bridges also has a roof for cover from air.
What's wrong with indoors?
Im all for indoors I just hope the same style and teamwork that was used to hold down a tower or a base is going to have the same feel and dedication that gave me pride to play my role.. I'm just worried when I enter the infantry only areas its going to go from what makes planetside what it was to a COD based shooter
Old 2012-04-19, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Where are the tank only areas?
lol... I am picturing that 90s tank game I used to play at lunch on the computers at school some times... Two tanks and messed up physics ftw!
Old 2012-04-19, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Well, I didn't mean fights that would simply be outdoors as in right outside the base, I meant fights that might occur 2-3 km away and then once the attackers win that they can proceed to the base. It just seems to me that it's basically most often Empire A's huge force attacks empire B's base with inf only defenders, while B's huge force attacks A's base with inf only defenders.
Yea that was big issue in ps1 along with ocastional bridge battle, the resorce system is supose to fix that
Old 2012-04-19, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
kertvon
Sergeant

It would seem the natural flow of the game would cater to having individualized battle styles at each point in the progression of base caps. Since taking capture points is the endgame, for the most part, there would be a sequence of more heavy vehicle >>> vehicle/infantry >>> infantry type fighting.

That is what makes Planetside so great though. Having a front line of ground armor and air units to clear the way for the troop carrying vehicles and making sure the troops get inside the base, initiate the hack and stay covered from reinforcements. The ability for each player to play the game as they please (ie. a tank operator, pilot, ground pounder) only reinforces that concept as you don't have players pulling multi-role tactics trying to cover more ground.

I am getting giddy just thinking about it
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion