Should Heavy Assault Drive? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The website that watches back.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-09, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Should Heavy Assault Drive?

Did a quick forum search to no avail. I'm sure it's been discussed before though....But should Heavy Assault be able to drive? Much like the Rexo in PS1, they couldn't drive closed-cockpit vehicles. And of course in the stream from Higby we saw him get out of a tank fight and fire the HA Anti-Vehicle weapon at a Magrider.

So anyway...Should driving (passenger/gunner excluded of course) be limited to Infil/LA/Medic/Engie? Or should the HA be able to drive as well?

(Of course, the Flash is excluded from this conversation)

~Xen of Onslaught Member Since: September 2003
~XoO Planetside 2 Air Division Commander
~Recruiting Now! Check our our PSU Recruitment Thread Here
Old 2012-07-09, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jeepo
Corporal

Re: Should Heavy Assault Drive?

No I don't think they should. Or if they can they can not bring a full weapon load out so no AT weapons. If they have entry and exit animations then it won't be so bad I guess.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Maticus
Private

Originally Posted by PhoenixDog View Post
Did a quick forum search to no avail. I'm sure it's been discussed before though....But should Heavy Assault be able to drive? Much like the Rexo in PS1, they couldn't drive closed-cockpit vehicles. And of course in the stream from Higby we saw him get out of a tank fight and fire the HA Anti-Vehicle weapon at a Magrider.

So anyway...Should driving (passenger/gunner excluded of course) be limited to Infil/LA/Medic/Engie? Or should the HA be able to drive as well?

(Of course, the Flash is excluded from this conversation)
Perhaps everything besides MBTs and air cav/lib. I don't think HA driving lightnings would be THAT big of an advantage. For the gal/bang bus, the more people able to drive support vehicles the better.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

I agree they should not be able to drive closed-cockpit vehicles. It's a bit too much to be able to tool around in a Vanguard with AV.

Either that, or dismounting from the driver seat should take several seconds. You shouldn't be able to bail at the last minute and start throwing AV.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-09, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Littleman
First Lieutenant

In this iteration I think it's fine. They can't heal themselves like they could in PS1, so they already have their limitations. Not sure we can leave a weapon slot empty anyway.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
I agree they should not be able to drive closed-cockpit vehicles. It's a bit too much to be able to tool around in a Vanguard with AV.

Either that, or dismounting from the driver seat should take several seconds. You shouldn't be able to bail at the last minute and start throwing AV.
That's been my problem with the lack of animations associated with the vehicles. the instant in and out allows for players to just shoot a shell, hop out, fire a rocket, hop in, and fire a shell again all while the other tank has maybe managed two shots...You got 3.

Old 2012-07-09, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Now that they cant heal themselves I think it should be fine.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ratstomper
Major

Last I heard all infantry except MAXes could drive vehicles.

Vehicle animations would go a long way to solve some of the class as driver problems. They would pretty much act like a delay so people can't just bail and start shooting (plus they look cool).
Old 2012-07-09, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Envenom
Sergeant Major

I can see that class being very boring and average if you take away such a huge facet of the game such as vehicles.

I disagree and think you're all over reacting.

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Vehicle animations would go a long way to solve some of the class as driver problems. They would pretty much act like a delay so people can't just bail and start shooting (plus they look cool).
^ touche
Old 2012-07-09, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by PhoenixDog View Post
That's been my problem with the lack of animations associated with the vehicles. the instant in and out allows for players to just shoot a shell, hop out, fire a rocket, hop in, and fire a shell again all while the other tank has maybe managed two shots...You got 3.
Yep, that's exactly my sentiment.

Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
Now that they cant heal themselves I think it should be fine.
They may not be able to heal themselves, but they have something better; they can bail in a fraction of a second and pop a shield which will allow them to survive a tank round. Combine this with the ability to fire AV and they just have too much of an advantage.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-07-09, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I'm kind of surprised there's no dedicated Pilot/Wheelman class. I mean, when you are in a vehicle - your intent is to.... use the vehicle right?

Being able to hop out and rambo somebody down with your heavy weapon strikes me as overkill.

Edit: yes you could hop out and rambo somebody down with your HA weapon in PS1, but you could only do that in light armor while sacrificing most of your inventory space.

Last edited by QuantumMechanic; 2012-07-09 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
mintyc
Corporal

Galaxy, Sunderer and Flash + any future buggis and deliverer types = yes

all other aircraft and tanks = no
Old 2012-07-09, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Yes, HA should be able to drive and fly every vehicle.

MAXes are specifically balanced around being unwieldy, but HA is balanced more normally like every other class. HA will be balanced so that it has many pluses and minuses compared to LA, Engis, etc, rendering them all roughly equal. This won't be a clear upgrade from PJ's to agile to rexo like in the first game.

So long as HA's AV guns aren't able to be used as "I win" buttons against enemy vehicles after bailing (they currently can't) and as long as every other class has a reasonable chance of killing HA in a plenty of 1 on 1 situations, there is no reason not to allow HA to drive/fly.

This is PS1 bias that people are carrying over to PS2. If there does prove to be some serious balance problems in PS2, we'll have to address this issue again, but for now there is no good reason to think that PS2 will suffer any of the problems that PS1 would have suffered if Rexo could drive every vehicle.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-09 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-09, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
PhoenixDog
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
I can see that class being very boring and average if you take away such a huge facet of the game such as vehicles.

I disagree and think you're all over reacting.
I'M NOT OVER REACTING TO ANYTHING! YOU'RE OVER REACTING TO NOT ENOUGH!!!

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
They may not be able to heal themselves, but they have something better; they can bail in a fraction of a second and pop a shield which will allow them to survive a tank round. Combine this with the ability to fire AV and they just have too much of an advantage.
Forgot about the shield thing. In essence too, say another HA has almost killed your tank. While it's on fire and he's reloading the rocket to finish you, in a fraction you can hop out and kill him without him even realizing you got out of the tank...

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
This is PS1 bias that people are carrying over to PS2. If there does prove to be some serious balance problems in PS2, we'll have to address this issue again, but for now there is no good reason to think that PS2 will suffer any of the problems that PS1 would have suffered if Rexo could drive every vehicle.
I'm normally on the side of "wait until beta" too...But one thing that doesn't carry over from PS1 to PS2 is TTK. An extra rocket fired from the driver could potentially make a huge difference in a tank fight.

Old 2012-07-09, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Reefpirate
Corporal

I literally JUST finished typing this up in the other thread, so I'm gonna paste it here as well seeing as this is the more appropriate place for it:

If you put delays on entry and exit of vehicles (as I'm sure they will), then I don't care if HA's can pilot or not. Your enemies can do it too, but also you're trading something off to be HA-in-tank so it can be balanced... ie. you could be engi-in-tank or LA-in-tank which would have their own advantages.

Also, there's a risk-reward for how long you try to stay in the tank (this will be even moreso with entry/exit delays). Do you stay a bit longer and use the more powerful tank gun one more time but risk being totally blown up, or do you decide to bail out early and trade one final large tank blast for maybe one or two AV rockets?

Time is a resource and so is opportunity, so it's not simply 'lol I get extra AV firepower if I go HA-in-tank'.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion