Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations? - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Beamers are not cars.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?
Yay 398 80.73%
Nay 95 19.27%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-29, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Really?
Really.

If it's a choice between stabbing someone with a knife or stabbing someone with a flower that does equal damage, I'll take the knife, for "immersion." But if it's a choice between development time getting spent on something that actually heavily affects gameplay and something that just looks nice because it's "immersive," I'll choose gameplay any day.

It's not like this is a single player game where you can really immerse yourselves anyways. This is a multiplayer game, where you may run into people teabagging someone in the middle of a firefight, or find soldiers playing destruction derby with their vehicles while there's a fight nearby they should be helping to win. Multiplayer has never been the time of environment that is good for immersion, and it's generally been understood that you have to find a roleplaying server or deliberately use your own imagination to ignore all of the non immersive elements.

So to be more clear, fuck this attitude of holding immersion up as some lofty standard in a multiplayer game. I want vehicle animations myself for fucks sake. You know why I want them? Because they look cool and add immersion. But fuck me if I'm gonna bitch and moan about not getting them. They are nice, but their absence will not have a significant impact on the game.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Crator
Major General

Well damn, I agree Xyntech... Not certain if it's a reason to get pissed about it though... I also agree that they should focus on game play elements, and even new continents, before this... But I defiantly want this to be done at some point... So I was perplexed with your "Fuck Immersion" comment.... <shrugs>

Last edited by Crator; 2012-06-29 at 06:42 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
super pretendo
First Sergeant

not unless they are as vulnerable as normal while getting in. I want to be able to shoot someone if I see them uncovered
Old 2012-06-29, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Fuck immersion.
Really?
After reading the last few posts I kind of agree :/
However immersion is still good as it grabs a player and keeps him longer as he remembers great parts of the game he was playing. Putting a high priority on it tho is kind of .. yeah I see the error in my ways about that.

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
Lot of stuff
As above after reading your posts and the other last few I feel like I need to separate the Cosmetic and the Gameplay aspects of E/E animations. To me the gameplay parts of it are what get me the most die-hard about wanting E/E animations, however the gameplay aspects can be much more easily implemented then the cosmetic aspects. That's not to say they'd be easy to implement, just easier than the whole package.

The Gameplay aspects of being able to jump into a vehicle by crawling in from the exhaust pipe is annoying as crap. However it's not the important part of it. It's the popping in and out instantly that bothers me the most. It's just... just wrong.

I would honestly settle for one or the other option. Either force players to get into and subsequently out of a vehicle at the same point instantly or force players to get into or out of a vehicle at any random point with a short delay. Either would work well enough. I still want both, I still want both and I want animations. However I'm willing to compromise for the sake of 'Good Game Design and Gameplay.'

I still stand by my previous statement tho that E/E animations would not necessarily harm PS2 by not having them, but it would certainly give PS2 a huge gain if they were implemented in that it would make the game just that much more memorable to players. It would stick in their minds that much longer. It was proven, at least to the people I talk to (I work at a hotel front desk near Disneyland, California and I talked about PS2 to just about anyone that would listen) and of the people that knew PS1 one of the things that most of them remembered was those E/E animations. That and the Galaxy Dropped MAX unit squads and the over all vehicle combat and a few other random memories.

_______

Really the best place to get a poll opinion on something is on the main site of the game we're polling about. Getting the right wording tho is a bit more of a pain in the ass.

Like Malorn said, asking do you like cookies? yes/no is kind of redundant because almost everyone is going to say yes they like cookies.

I would really like to see a poll on the main site of multiple sites that basically asks the questions,

Delay and Locked Position on E/E a vehicle.
Delay only on E/E a vehicle.
Locked Position only on E/E a vehicle.
No Delay and No Locked Positioning on E/E a vehicle.
Other

Then go on to say that this question should hypothetically have no relation to animations of E/E a vehicle.

I really want to do that, but will probably have to wait until August or something when there are enough people with access to the PS2 main beta forums.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-06-29 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Well damn, I agree Xyntech... Not certain if it's a reason to get pissed about it though... I also agree that they should focus on game play elements, and even new continents, before this... But I defiantly want this to be done at some point... So I was perplexed with your "Fuck Immersion" comment.... <shrugs>
Not so much pissed, as I just wanted to be blunt. It would please me to no end to have entry animations, but I just wanted to keep some perspective in a conversation that was starting to turn myopic.

I used to get slightly bummed that Planetside players would crucify people for comparing it to Halo:CE. I understood why it was annoying to constantly hear the comparisons, but I loved the vehicle entry animations in Halo, and I was overjoyed to have them in Planetside as well.

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
stuff and ideas
I agree that the game would be better with them than without. Having a placeholder system that could later be modified to allow for enter/exit animations with little change in gameplay would be excellent. It would give us all of the actual gameplay affecting elements that the animations would add, while also leaving room open if they ever decide they can more reasonably work them in with the development time required.

I voted yes in this poll because, well, I like cookies. This was created before TRay said "NOOOOOoooo," or else I probably would have abstained from voting, but at the time I figured it's never a bad idea to let the dev team know what the community prefers, and development cost aside I definitely prefer to have the animations. I would love to see a more appropriate poll that gets to the really important part of the discussion though. You hit the nail on the head with that one.

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
not unless they are as vulnerable as normal while getting in. I want to be able to shoot someone if I see them uncovered
That would be fun, as long as it was well balanced for it. Climbing in should be pretty vulnerable, since you are suddenly well protected once you get inside, but a person already inside of a vehicle shouldn't have to slowly climb out and then have to pull out their gun just to return fire.

Literally coming out guns blazing would probably be going too far, but it's already bad enough in Planetside 1 that the enemy knows exactly where your exit animation will put you. With higher TTK's, I think it's only fair that your character can pull out their weapon at the same time as they are exiting, so that they have it in hand by the time the animation finishes. Possibly with some small ability to get out slightly faster, slower, or strafe slightly side to side as you get out to make the exit location be slightly less predictable.

While we're at it, I'd love to see the game feature Euphoria style physics, where characters can grab on to stuff and start getting dragged. If a vehicle starts moving while you try to get in, you flail a little and struggle to pull yourself in. If it goes to fast, you fall off.

I'd love to see all of that. I don't necessarily expect to see any of it happen, but I think all of it would be cool, add to the style and immersion of the game, and some of it would possibly even have some interesting gameplay ramifications.
Old 2012-07-02, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
Lithious
Private

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I want animations, but not in the way PS did them - I want them in first person.
I soo agree
Old 2012-07-02, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
What if you kept your first person view while entering a vehicle? Wouldn't that be awesome?
Totally awesome.

During beta, maybe the animators won't be as busy.
Old 2012-07-02, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
EVILoHOMER
Major

Go look on the BF3 forums and see how many threads there are complaining that there's no in/out vehicle animations because you'll find none. People just don't care and if anything there would be complaints if they added them in on how repetitive they are and how useless they make vehicles because you cannot quickly bail out.

I just think this is a forum full of people with rose tinted glasses on and want everything to be like that amazing game Planetside. Go back and play it now, I loved it back in 2003 but it's not a good game any more.....
Old 2012-07-02, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Ragnafrak
Corporal

From a play perspective, I like the idea of entering/exiting a vehicle taking time. I don't want to be trailing a dude in my sights only to lose him as he disappears instantly; Instead, I'd like the chance to shoot him as he's scrambling into his cockpit. I'd also like a second's opportunity to retreat and hide if I guy I'm chasing happens upon a Lightning suddenly.

Even if there isn't an animation - just having the game not respond to controller input for a moment would be enough.

Also, this could TOTALLY be in at launch. There's nothing saying that PS2 couldn't stay in "open beta" for an indefinite amount of time while still taking our money.

Just look at what Tribes:Ascend did in their beta. Even during closed beta, their cash shop was open and accepting payments. Later, you could buy your way into the beta with their "VIP" package. And all through the time before they went "gold", they were taking money for their virtual currency.

PS2 could stay in "beta" for 6 months until the animations were done, and it wouldn't matter to any of us so long as we got to play our way.

A rose by any other name. . .
Old 2012-07-02, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

Add them as an option and I'm fine. SoE shouldn't make everything in the game purchasable in my opinion, however vehicle enter/exit animations should be okay to have in the store I guess.
Old 2012-07-02, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Go look on the BF3 forums and see how many threads there are complaining that there's no in/out vehicle animations because you'll find none. People just don't care and if anything there would be complaints if they added them in on how repetitive they are and how useless they make vehicles because you cannot quickly bail out.

I just think this is a forum full of people with rose tinted glasses on and want everything to be like that amazing game Planetside. Go back and play it now,
I loved it back in 2003 but it's not a good game any more.....
What on earth are you even talking about? Anyone who's ever played PS1 can play it for free right now, I doubt there's ever been a less rosy-tinted pair of glasses.

Also, why would BF players ask for something they've never experienced? Yes, if they were introduced to Battlefield I expect there'd be complaints to start with...That's the sort of change that people who don't like change don't like and a lot of people don't like change.

Also also, why do enter/exit animations stop you being able to quickly bail out? Planetside itself lets you quickly bail out...It's called, "bailing".

Edit: Also also also (not directed towards anyone in particular), it was only earlier today the entering "delay" added another layer of excitement for me. There was a mossie killing people at the back door of an Amp Station while I was at the CC, my mossie being on the helipads nearest the v-term. I had to consider whether I could run to my mossie, get in and then get control before the enemy mossie saw me, turned it's sights on me and started firing away. If boarding was instant, that wouldn't have even been a consideration I'd have to make...It would have been the most boring thing in the world, but as it was, there was an element of tension as I watched myself climbing into my vehicle.

I guess it's like re-securing a hot CC. Imagine how much tension and excitement would be lost if all hacking was instantaneous? It's the time it takes that makes it good.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-07-02 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2012-07-02, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Adding good game play or core mechanics, and adding animations, are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Stop saying it is. You can have both, and both will be better for it.

Just because two popular games do not have them, does not mean its a requirement. That's two out of many.

Is Halo, a modern shooter, worse for having enter exit animations, did they loose features because of them? No, in fact it added to the solidness of the game.
Old 2012-07-02, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Entry and exit animations? I dont need em.
Old 2012-07-02, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Oryon22
First Sergeant

I would like them in PS2...

Old 2012-07-02, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
shadowsfm
Private

i saw that animation in a planetside one vid thinking "oh this is what they all are missing?" i'd be so frustrated if they added that to PS2. i guess i'm one of them that wants things to be instant, and not bogged down buy unnecessary time sinks. i would literally scream, if i died right before i was safely in my vehicle. for every second i'm not in control is a second i'm not having fun

Last edited by shadowsfm; 2012-07-02 at 03:33 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion