Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations? - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Queue hail of gunfire.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?
Yay 398 80.73%
Nay 95 19.27%
Voters: 493. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-02, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
Xaine
Major

Re: Do you want enter/exit vehicle animations?

Surely this is looking decisive enough.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

No. As I've said everytime this topic pops up, it would add too much dev time to the game, but I would like to see a short startup sequence before a vehicle is usable.

Then later they could put animations in and replace the startup sequence with it and it won't affect gameplay any.

They can't just throw them in after the fact because it will greatly change the flow of combat.

Originally Posted by shadowsfm View Post
i saw that animation in a planetside one vid thinking "oh this is what they all are missing?" i'd be so frustrated if they added that to PS2. i guess i'm one of them that wants things to be instant, and not bogged down buy unnecessary time sinks. i would literally scream, if i died right before i was safely in my vehicle. for every second i'm not in control is a second i'm not having fun

It should be noted that while you're entering a vehicle in PS1 you are part of the vehicle, so they can't hurt you, only damage the vehicle.

Last edited by BigBossMonkey; 2012-07-02 at 03:38 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
No. As I've said everytime this topic pops up, it would add too much dev time to the game, but I would like to see a short startup sequence before a vehicle is usable.

Then later they could put animations in and replace the startup sequence with it and it won't affect gameplay any.

They can't just throw them in after the fact because it will greatly change the flow of combat.
Startup sequence... You mean, like this?

...and this?

That's what I see in PS1 when I Enter/Exit vehicles, bail from aircraft, etc. No animations, I'm just frozen in place and shown just a simple progress bar for the same duration as the animations take to play out. And I'm quite fine with that.

Why? Because although I like the general concept of animations, the fact that the animations in PS1 forced me into a 3rd person view actually detracted from my immersion and annoyed me so much that I disabled them as soon as I found out you could do so. And it doesn't give me any significant advantage over someone with animations enabled since I'm frozen in place for the duration, so the effect on gameplay is almost identical.

Long story short, I agree 100% they should put some sort of gameplay-affecting delay like this into PS2. Maybe not a progress bar, but perhaps a 1-2 second "start up and rev your engine" sound and delay before you can start moving once you get in. Then like you said if/when they put in the actual animations they could give us the option to keep them disabled and just stick with the "old engine rev" delay should we so choose.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-07-03 at 10:13 AM.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Surely this is looking decisive enough.
So was the last poll, and the one before that, also, the one before that.

They tossed this out with the bathwater when they were searching for that "Must be shooting 24/7" game-play of session based shooters.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
So was the last poll, and the one before that, also, the one before that.

They tossed this out with the bathwater when they were searching for that "Must be shooting 24/7" game-play of session based shooters.
Yep. Didn't they throw out a ballpark "6 months Dev time" to make all the animations? Yeah for that amount of work I'll take another cont instead thx.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #156
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Yep. Didn't they throw out a ballpark "6 months Dev time" to make all the animations? Yeah for that amount of work I'll take another cont instead thx.
Not mutually exclusive.
Old 2012-07-03, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #157
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Why are their animators building continents? Making it's fauna sway probably wouldn't take 6 months.
Old 2012-07-03, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
xcel
Corporal

Why is this thread not closed? Don't we have like 3 of these?
Old 2012-07-03, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Not mutually exclusive.
Maybe yes, and maybe no. Depends on the skillsets/experience/job duties/project work delegation of their various dev teams.

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Why are their animators building continents? Making it's fauna sway probably wouldn't take 6 months.
It's quite common for programmers to wear multiple hats and work on more than one aspect of a project. Again, it depends on skillsets/experience. Maybe some or all of their level designers can also do animation work and vice versa. Or maybe they use project-length contractors for some of their level design and/or animation work but only have a budget for so high of a total head count, in which case I'd rather they spend that budget on contracting more level designers than animators.

My point is there are a number of things that I'd prefer they concentrate their efforts on besides vehicle animations, things that actually add more gameplay-affecting content.
Old 2012-07-03, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Stew
Major

in and out animation are stupid anf just put you in an animation when its start you cant stop it you cant react to whats happen around you Unlike in a (9 real life conterpart )) where if i start to climp in a car and see some ennemies i will not be stuck on an annimation

Annimation are just stupid and be stuck on them is frustrating and stupid as hell SO

HELLS NO and stop bumping this crap

Last edited by Stew; 2012-07-03 at 01:16 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

As someone who did computer animation for a few years, simply put. Animators are required to look things with just a discerning eye as any artist, infact my animation course made me do life drawing for 2 years. The general theory being that artistic skill takes time and practice, whereas computer programs can just be taught.

Infact in the field 2D animators are more saught after than computer animators because theyre considered more skilled, and can be taught a program in weeks, whereas a computer animator cant be taught to animate well in 2D, perhaps ever.

Thats why you will find people who are in design aspects of the game will be able to do a bunch of other things. 1. because they have the talent to do both. 2. because they have been taught to by their employer. And 3. because its how you get a job as a developer in the first place, by having an impressive reseme of multiple skills.

Also, unrelated. But years ago the person with the highest IQ in the world was a computer animator.
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-07-03, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
stop bumping this crap
BUMP! Still want animations... Deal....
Old 2012-07-03, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

I believe Tray said that we aren't getting animations.Do not know if that means never or at launch.Sucks seeing how the community wants it.Still haven't been behind the devs 100% since alot of there decison.I'm going into PS2 with low expectations.Hoping I get blow away.
Old 2012-07-03, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Yes please, I want to kill people while they are stuck in the animation
Old 2012-07-03, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Angry Beaver
Private

Not mutually exclusive.
Yes actually, they are.

I do a lot of game dev in my spare time and everyone here is missing some of the vital aspects, exit/enter animations are not simply about exiting and entering animations. I want them, but I know EAXCTLY why they're not in

1 - Modify the vehicles structure so there's a door and general storyboard for mounting for everyone to occupy every position
2 - Repeat 1 until everyone is happy with the look and feel cause god know it'll take forever
3 - Model the interior shots for people other than the driver
4 - Cut the door frame into the exterior model and make it line up
5 - Seperate out the interior surfaces into a new dynamically loadable and attachable model (this prevents z-sorting glitches from making the seam look bad)
6 - Create new textures and information needed to make the inside surfaces look good.
7 - Test the hell out of the visuals and ensure nothing has problems
8 - Fix the lighting problems (because they will exist) and repeat 7 until it doesn't matter
9 - Start programming the system need to create mount points on the ground where the player can stand to enter
10 - Weigh having tiny mount points versus problems of getting players into the right spot smoothly
11 - Test and debug mount point system working involving prediction and uneven terrain including having the vehicle face mashed into a wall
12 - Keep testing cause there's edge cases you didn't consider like opening into another vehicle
13 - Keep programming because no-ones satisfied with how you resolved the edges cases with lots of warping and non solid geometry
14 - Begin animating the door sequences on the vehicles, ensure every door can open and close problem with no intersections
15 - Implement system with door opening and closing enabling and disabling internal view models made earlier
16 - Begin animating player models to 'jump in'
17 - Redo animations to fit timeline constraints because a 10s mounting animation wasn't good enough.
18 - Modify the models and textures to give handholds in betetr places for the animations.
19 - Get yelled at for mounting animations looking natural while you explain its because they made you make them so fast.
20 - Finally have working enter/exit animations.
21 - Start working on smooth transitions between old edge cases and current animations
22 - Fix bugs and issues like drawn weapons when mounting a vehicle or animation smoothing not accounting for a cliff when jumping out of a vehicle.
23 - Starting adding sound effects for mounting and disengaging from vehicle
24 - Release to general public
25 - Get push back because there's bug with snapping to 3rd person cam or if it plays in 1st person cam the animation is too dis-orienting.
26 - Push out fix and repeat until problems die down to a murmur

In-case you didn't notice that entire process used a bit of everyone on the team. This is not just "OMG ANIMATORS NEED TO DO IT" this is an entire concentrated effort from the entire team to create a complex and difficult system. Can we all stop being so incredibly naive and realize that Higby is shooting straight and not trying to BS us 'cause he doesn't want it done'.

Granted a few of these steps might of been trimmed down had enter/exit animations been a requirement from the get-go; however, given the pressure they're under to make money on a f2p, all the expense of next gen graphics, and the $$ they're spending on a new engine this is a cost I can forgive them for cutting.

I'd still love them, and I'm perfectly willing to wait.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion