Improvement: Weapon and aiming down sights not being centered - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Nuff Said...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-16, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Coreldan
Colonel

Weapon and aiming down sights not being centered

In the announcement video it bothered me how the weapon would be in the dead center when you aim down sights. It would feel and look much more natural if it was more towards the shoulder the weapon is shouldered on. I guess one might argue that with one eye closed, the weapon would feel centered, however a professional (I guess one can argue whether the basic soldier in PS is a pro, though) would fire with both eyes open.

Talking about shouldering. A feature where you could switch shoulder would be nice. APB for one has this feature and it feels weird in other games when you can't change to the other shoulder when approaching a corner that is on the "wrong side". This way you would increase the skill cap by allowing players to fire from the other shoulder near corners to minimize exposure.

Sorry, but I'm a real life gun hobbyist as well, so stuff like this sort of stick out to me
Old 2011-07-16, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Weapon and aiming down sights not being centered

Guns ftw!

Not bad ideas, especially the switching sides thing that was cool in APB.
Old 2011-07-16, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tool
Master Sergeant

It was way to close to the center, I agree. I trumped it up to early design though and think it'll be changed as anyone who plays FPS games would agree that wouldn't feel right at all.

The note about shouldering either left or right, If I had to choose, I think I'd rather see a lean function as apposed to swaping shoulders. I'd be happy with both but leaning I think would add more than swaping.

Just my thought on it, not trying to shoot down the idea.
Old 2011-07-16, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
It was way to close to the center, I agree. I trumped it up to early design though and think it'll be changed as anyone who plays FPS games would agree that wouldn't feel right at all.

The note about shouldering either left or right, If I had to choose, I think I'd rather see a lean function as apposed to swaping shoulders. I'd be happy with both but leaning I think would add more than swaping.

Just my thought on it, not trying to shoot down the idea.
As an avid APB player I'll just mention that APB has both leaning and the shoulder changing. Although I very very rarely lean on APB, but I do agree that either (preferably both) should be implemented.

And yeah, thats why I created this thread, I'd prefer is such "early development baby step" to be removed before it's too late!
Old 2011-07-17, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

The guns in Crysis go dead center. I didn't even notice this until you pointed out PSide's trailer.

My point? It doesn't really matter.
Old 2011-07-17, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Every game I've played that has you semi-realistically looking down 3D sights to aim in some kind of mode, it has been dead center or just about. (That is you've pushed your aim button, you're looking into the scope or down the sights and don't have some kind of imaginary cross hair any more). Obviously when you're shooting outside the aiming mode it should stay to the right (or left).

And it has to be, otherwise you'd not be aiming at the center of the 2D screen. That would make less sense. If you had a 3D display it would work out and be cool but with a 2d screen it would be awkward.

Pretend you've got one eye closed or something.

Looking at the trailer in fullscreen again, I think it's fine...if not a little low.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Coreldan
Colonel

Now that I think, I'm not sure if good looking 3D sights can really be done without it being centered in the ironsight mode. And now that I check out other shooters I play, the ironsight mode is fairly centered in those too, however it was somehow the first thing that caught my eye in those videos, it sort of looked out of place to me somehow.

One reason that might cause this was that the camera was fairly far away from the ironsights compared to the other games I play.

Hard to say without seeing the options at this point, but I might still prefer it at least slightly off center.
Old 2011-07-18, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
when you arelooking down the barrell of a weapon that you are holding, it will be basically center of your eyesight, unless you want them to tilt the camera view, this is how you would percieve it in real life brother.
Not quite, I've been taught to shot both eyes open, thus the view is not centered. Given, with the weak eye closed, then it is.
Old 2011-07-18, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yeah, what you say is true...but the only way to replicate that in a video-game sane manner is with a 3d display, imo.
Old 2011-07-19, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Yeah, what you say is true...but the only way to replicate that in a video-game sane manner is with a 3d display, imo.
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier I didn't really even realize that it probably cant really work.

I'm not sure what makes the PS2 ironsights stand out for me in comparison to other games. I checked other games I play and gasp, it is pretty much centered there too, however it never bothered me. As I mentioned some posts above, one reason might be that it seemed to be fairly distant from the iron sights, while in some of the games I play the camera is closer to the rear sight.

Or then I'm just hallucinating.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-19 at 03:39 AM.
Old 2011-07-19, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, I think the gun is a bit far out. Just got done playing Crysis for two hours and I'd say the gun is an inch or two closer than in the teaser.
Old 2011-07-19, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I think you're right. Lots of games also put the out-of-focus blur on the close part of the sight which helps to make it feel close to your eye.
Old 2011-07-19, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Aye I think it's pretty standard.
Old 2011-07-31, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
The guns in Crysis go dead center. I didn't even notice this until you pointed out PSide's trailer.

My point? It doesn't really matter.
Crysis also gives you the option of not entering iron sights, and instead you just zoom in on the reticle a bit.

It provides the same functionality, i.e. a bit of zoom, a tighter cof, and slows the player down, but doesn't lock you into the iron sights view.

A nice option imo.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault