News: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not quite Heaven, but you can see the gates from here
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2015-07-07, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
ZephyrBurst
Private

Re: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"

Ehhh, with September closing in on us in 2 months and no design docs put up like Smed said there would be, I don't think this is happening by the date he mentioned. Though it feels like the devs have been super quiet lately, other than the PS4 launch. Who knows, maybe there's a surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

I still love this game though. I'd be playing it more, but life/projects have me doing other things.
Old 2015-07-07, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Mordelicius
Major

It's not even on the wishlist yet. At least put the design document out so players can critique it.

Or else they release something totally incomplete again (like the two WDS events)..

Old 2015-07-09, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Traak
Colonel

How about adding about twenty staffers who do nothing but ban hackers? Oh, wait, that would affect a lot of you all, now wouldn't it?
Old 2015-07-10, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
How about adding about twenty staffers who do nothing but ban hackers? Oh, wait, that would affect a lot of you all, now wouldn't it?
lol
Old 2015-07-10, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Traak View Post

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2015-07-11 at 01:29 AM.
Old 2015-07-13, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Calista
Second Lieutenant

The should start considering when to sunset this game and move on to something else. From what I hear the pops on PS4 aren't great (PC either for that matter) and folks are calling for server merges already. This can't be good. They could fix bugs and maybe tweak performance but the lofty goal of getting the PS4 version's content to PC level surely won't help. It hasn't for the PC. They need to revive that Sturm und Drang game Smed alluded to a while back and just punt on PS2, I am sad to say but it just feels like a lost cause for Planetside at this point.
Old 2015-07-14, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
The should start considering when to sunset this game and move on to something else. From what I hear the pops on PS4 aren't great (PC either for that matter) and folks are calling for server merges already. This can't be good. They could fix bugs and maybe tweak performance but the lofty goal of getting the PS4 version's content to PC level surely won't help. It hasn't for the PC. They need to revive that Sturm und Drang game Smed alluded to a while back and just punt on PS2, I am sad to say but it just feels like a lost cause for Planetside at this point.
it wouldn't be shit if they had been at least faithful to the original.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2015-07-16, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
it wouldn't be shit if they had been at least faithful to the original.
Hey now, at least the names for some of the stuff are similar!

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2015-07-19, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
TheBTron
Private

Misc Info

The game I think is just in a maintenance mode now. You will get little patches and stuff added to the store but I think it is what it is. Day Break will try and get what ever money they can from PS2 the next few year and then shut it down.
Old 2015-07-20, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mordelicius
Major

My guess is they will either announce a PS2 X-Box port or post the Planetside 2 2.0 design documents next.

Whichever comes first is anyone's guess..
Old 2015-08-20, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Mordelicius
Major

PS2 2.0 Update from the official forum: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2...update.231548/

Originally Posted by https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/2015-update.231548/
Hey Everyone,

If you don’t know me, I'm Luke Sigmund, Lead Designer of PlanetSide 2. We’ve seen how excited some of you are for more information about upcoming content and we’re just as excited to share it. We wanted to take some time and fill you in on where the team is taking the game and give a little insight into the future.

As a team, we've spent the last couple weeks discussing and determining the direction of the game moving forward and adjusting our 2015 Roadmap. We started by examining what the game is now and where we and you all would like it to go.

Through the process of several team meetings, we came to the conclusion that we want to put tools in your hands to create gameplay experiences that have a variety of strategies and moment-to-moment tactics. Letting players affect gameplay is a huge component of PlanetSide 2 and we intend to double down on that moving forward.

Our biggest step will be the introduction of a player placed construction system. Using a new vehicle, the ANT, you will be able to hunt down and collect a new resource out in the world. After you collect enough you can travel to an area of your choice, deploy your ANT, then interact with its terminal to deduct the new resource and place a structure. Our first set of structures are planned to be medium sized base turret towers, with more to come as we start gathering suggestions from you and playing with the system. This is just an overview, and we have a lot more details that will be posted in the roadmap section of the forums really soon.

Throughout the rest of the year you will also start seeing adjustments, improvements, and additions to current mechanics and features, kind of like we've been doing for instant action and spawning rules. We will mainly be targeting features that we are eager to make better like continent capture, leadership tools, and implants. With the overall goal of making these systems fit in with the direction of giving you tools to play how you want.

Like I said, this update is just to give you all an idea of where we are headed. This is a journey for all of us so we are all excited about the plan and hope you are too. We look forward to all of your feedback and thoughts on upcoming systems and appreciate all of your passion and support for PlanetSide 2
Kinda backwards and unituitive. There is no point in protecting/attacking valueless facilities.

1) New ANT Vehicle to procure resources.
2) Use resources to construct new defense structures
3) To defend bases that have practically ZERO worth (much less attack a heavily defended base that yield you the same)

It's the equivalent of a missile defense system to defend an empty barren desert. Aren't those reserved for high value targets that need clear protection like the White House, Congress, Pentagon, Statue of Liberty etc.

Should be:
1) Implement Resources 2.0 or at least bring back the old one for the meantime.
2) Give Bases meaning, value and importance (so players will actually attack, defend, fight and contest for it).
3) *then add the new defense structures.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...702#post960702
Old 2015-08-20, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ringring
Contributor
General

The thing that gets me is that by the time you have got your ant, harvested your resources and then drive to the base to defend it will have already been long captured because turn over of bases is so easy in ps2.

At lest that's my impression of how things will turn out, I couldn't say how the devs expect it to work.
Old 2015-08-20, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Crator
Major General

I don't know what they are doing but they aren't painting the whole picture of what they are thinking.

I'm not happy the resource revamp isn't going in. That was really going to give the game a better, more layered, dynamic. ANTs becoming transformers is not a horrible idea but it needs to be done right. But turrets? Really? We have enough turrets in the game already I think... I want it to transform in to a router!

Also, what's this about? --> New Capture UI... Not sure many noticed it, but it's not just a UI change they want to do. They wanted to change capture mechanics with it. And I don't see how the proposed change makes the UI more intuitive as they are claiming.

Last edited by Crator; 2015-08-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2015-08-23, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

/yawn

No Battle Islands that we saw preview videos for over a year ago. Neither of the two continents that were being created over a year ago. No global map at the warpgate, so I can't look and see where the good fights are without bouncing around between continents; hence zero strategy. Oh, and somewhere along the way for some reason I lost the ability to see where the medics were if I was dead and the ability to see which bloody continent the alert was on, both of represent steps bass-ackwards.

Meanwhile, the pop on Connery is so low we can't even get a pop lock on a Friday night. But hey! we're gonna get ANT's that make... towers!

Shit.
Old 2015-08-25, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I don't think they are making enough money to do any really substantive changes to the game so it's probably gonna limp along with relatively cheap to implement gimmicks towards a gradual end. If the PS4 version were a big hit you might have seen some re-growth through re-hires on the dev team but that hasn't happened. And as usual there are a lot of titles coming out in 2-3 months so I guess we shall see how PS2 weathers the storm. I would love to see an explosion of interest in the game and it grow beyond the scope of comprehension but they kinda missed a chance on the console so far and it really dampened the prospects of hope going forward.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion