Forge light engine. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does It For The Chicks
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-10, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Forge light engine.

Just a bit of info that I found on the net for you guys, am guessing alot of you already know about this but its still intresting.

SOE boss John Smedley revealed long-awaited details for Planetside 2 last night during the FainFaire eventm and Smedley stated out talking about the game’s engine, Forge Light.

The engine will allow for “massive seamless worlds, advanced atmospheric effects such as moving lights and shadows, volumetric fog, and even sun filtering through clouds,” according to Massively.

It will also allow the game to work on older PC systems as well as future hardware configurations. It uses NVIDIA’s PhysX system, which SOE believes can “make some of the most amazing looking characters and environments.”

PlanetSide 2′s Matt Higby said the game would contain massive warfare, and it will be able to accommodate “thousands of players in open world combat, with massive conflicts.”

It will come with a new conquest map, areas in the game are contestable and considered valuable real estate. Topography changes when areas are conquered, with battles taking place in physical structures as well as in the landscape. Players will be fighting over resources, which are needed for armor, weapons and vehicle upgrades.

Each of the three empires are back, the game has new combat roles, a new skill tree class and outfit updates, and will include an “offline, time-based unlock system,” similar to the one used in EVE Online. This will allow players to continue advancing even when offline and to keep up with what their friends are up to in-game
Old 2011-07-10, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Forge light engine.

Going to interesting to see planetside on an engine DESIGNED FOR MMOFPS instead of planetside on an engine DESIGNED FOR LOLQUEST.
Old 2011-07-10, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tikuto
Major

Obviously it's a J _ _ _ and S _ _ _ thing from S _ _ _ W _ _ _ .

lul.....
Old 2011-07-10, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aractain
Major

You know, I just thought about Line of Defense. Derek Smarts game.
"[Planetside 2 ] won’t stand a chance against LOD. At all."

That always gets me.
Old 2011-07-10, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Levente
First Sergeant

excellent. i find it more impressive then frostbite 2 so far. Forgelight is more massive scale and pretty too. frostbite 2 is full of backfrop images and fake crap, ofc it looks good but forgelight FTW
Old 2011-07-10, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Frostbite 2 is much better for the super small scale of BF type games. But the destructable stuff has no use in a persistant game, nor was it designed or able to even remotely handle what Forgelight can with ps2.

Plus you need to call up NASA to run BF3 even with its small scale at full power. We have a game with 100x the players, so that wouldnt work so well. =)
Old 2011-07-10, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Frostbite 2 is much better for the super small scale of BF type games. But the destructable stuff has no use in a persistant game, nor was it designed or able to even remotely handle what Forgelight can with ps2.

Plus you need to call up NASA to run BF3 even with its small scale at full power. We have a game with 100x the players, so that wouldnt work so well. =)
Correct sir. im not impressed by frostbite 2 that much, i do think cryengine 3 looks way better, but that doesnt have this scale either, but of course thats the graphical aspect of the engine, now in frostbite 2 the audio and animations are the best iv seen in any game, i really hope that these 2 other aspects are gonna be well made in forgelight too.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
I wouldn't call some of the levels I've seen in frostbite 'super small scale'

That tank level was pretty damned large. Not so large perhaps as PS, but it could give some PS continents a run for their money.

Size doesn't matter much anyway. Most engines could handle PS sized maps with PS level of detail no sweat.

Obviously it can't handle PS2 though, because its not designed to do so. Forgelight couldn't handle BF3 either.

And destructible stuff would work fine. It'd just have to autorepair when nobody was around to see it do so.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Frostbite 2 is very technically impressive. Amazing in some ways. I also wouldn't say small scale, we're talking square KM sized maps with 64 people...that's larger than most high-profile FPSs support. Add in fighter jets ect...definitely not small scale. But also not up to the scale of planetside 2 (we hope).

I don't think we've seen enough for Forge Light to say much about it. The trailer looked perfectly adequate, if not really amazing. The important part is handling the massive player counts and everything that goes along with it. If it does it properly it's amazing in it's own right.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Going to interesting to see planetside on an engine DESIGNED FOR MMOFPS instead of planetside on an engine DESIGNED FOR LOLQUEST.
Actually the engine was designed from the ground up for PlanetSide.

There was a huge post about it a few months ago on the front page.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
Actually the engine was designed from the ground up for PlanetSide.

There was a huge post about it a few months ago on the front page.
Really? I thought ps1 was made with Everquest's engine.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

http://jratcliffscarab.blogspot.com/...reenshots.html

A blog post from the designer of the PS1 engine.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Here is a pic I took during the presentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forgelight.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	101  

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-11, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Sorry when i say small scale im comparin to PS so thats not really fair, but even the bf maps are only 1km x 1km or 1sq km. PS1 had some 6x6 and even 8x8 maps, 36sq km and 64sq km respectively. Not to mention 4-500 players, thats large scale. And compared to ps2 which will have 2-3x the players of that and potentially larger conts, whats "big" and whats "small" is gonna change. =D

Cant wait for the first "air night" when i see literally several hundred aircraft flyin overhead into battle.....while the CoD fanboys play their pathetically boring little tiny deathmatch zergs in CoD: part 57.
Old 2011-07-11, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

Cant wait for the first "air night" when i see literally several hundred aircraft flyin overhead into battle.....while the CoD fanboys play their pathetically boring little tiny deathmatch zergs in CoD: part 57.
If the FIRST time we get to play with air is when the 57th iteration of COD comes out i wont be a happy camper. PS2 will be on huxly/DNF status

ETA: but seriously, ima make sure im wearing an adult diaper that night.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion