News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Less chat, more splat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-07, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Well if I only had 6 hours a week to my self I might have spent it on something else.
Lol well i have more than 6 hrs of free time each week man I just only choose to game for 6 of those, more important things take up the other time, its called priorities. But I guarantee there will be people who only log in for an hour or two 1 day each week, and if they see something in game that they really want to try they can pay money and use it, this is why I love the business model soe is using.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Crysander
Private

Re: Beta access with alpha squad

Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
That's awfully pesimistic - as you can clearly see it lists 12 weapon unlocks, so logically you get one new weapon per class (not including MAXs). It's effectively a preorder option, and you want your preorder packs to be appealing and rack up a good amount of interest. Seems pretty fair to me, imagining this was a miscelaneous standard title:

To start, as a preorder bonus pack its cheap at $40
So for $40 your getting:
1) Skins - practically every game these days comes with this, and it's always welcome
2) Exclusive Title - again, MMOs have these often, and its always welcome
3) An XP Booster - again, often used in FPS games like COD
4) Twelve Pre-unlocked weapons (most likely the first unlock per class)
5) Your $40 is given straight back to you as SC to spend in the shop, so if your planning on buying anything in this game or just want to show your support for SOE then it'd be stupid not to get this.

The unlocks won't be ridiculous, that would just be silly, they don't want to break their game on release day and will almost certainly be auraxim purchase ones to boot. The main benefit that I see is that people in the Beta (who will almost certainly want to support the game ~fingers crossed~) will be able to splash some cash and save time unlocking stuff at the beginning.

Bottom line, SOE is a company who wants to make money hence the more attractive the package, the more orders they get and nothing in this package seems obnoxiously P2W. Support 2 Win? Definately.

TL;DR: Doesn't seem to shabby to me! Quit your belly aching.

edit: Page 3 in the time it took to type this? Fail.

Last edited by Crysander; 2012-09-07 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Diehard
Corporal

Wheres the link so I can throw my money on the screen?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-07, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Brollywood
PlanetSide 2
EU Prod. Manager

Originally Posted by ISVRaDa View Post
Same doubt here.
Don't worry
Old 2012-09-07, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
ISVRaDa
Private

Originally Posted by Brollywood View Post
Don't worry
Yay!! \o/

Thanks for your prompt response Brollywood

Last edited by ISVRaDa; 2012-09-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Weapon unlocks... Hmm feels like P2W to me. Not that I'm surprised to see it. But it confirms there BS that this game will not be P2W.
Pay to Win implies that the items you can buy are superior to those given out for free and that the only way to obtain these items are through monetary means.

This is not pay to win. Especially since you can buy weapons without paying for them(this will take a of grinding).

Your paying for time.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Diehard
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
Pay to Win implies that the items you can buy are superior to those given out for free and that the only way to obtain these items are through monetary means.

This is not pay to win. Especially since you can buy weapons without paying for them(this will take a of grinding).

Your paying for time.
agreed
Old 2012-09-07, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Sunrock have you ever played a pay to win game before? Those silly "free2play" asian shooters? Only way to unlock new weapons was to pay for them... Thats pay to win.

This isn't some broad definition it clearly defines a set of games.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Frotang
Staff Sergeant

Yes time is money friends, choose one or the other.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Diehard
Corporal

Sunrock have you ever played a pay to win game before? Those silly "free2play" asian shooters? Only way to unlock new weapons was to pay for them... Thats pay to win.

This isn't some broad definition it clearly defines a set of games.
Gunbound comes to mind...hmmm
Old 2012-09-07, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Your paying for time.
spot on. im sick of seeing people tag this as pay to win when they dont understand how most pay to win games are. most things in this game are side grades not full blown upgrades.
pay to win in nearly all f2p games is i pay for a superior weapon which you can only get via cash. planetside 2 this is not true. you pay to save time and not get exclusive weapons ect for cash.
as they say if you put the you will have the same stuff as someone who splashed the cash.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

I disagree with you. That is P2W. Everything that is not play 2 win is Pay 2 win.
then you should really just not play planetside at all and go back to hackfield 3 honestly.

oh wait.. you can buy all their held back DLC and weapons ohh and the "booster packs"
Old 2012-09-07, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

It's funny how were debating "play to win" in a game that can never be won.

This is a time saver pure and simple to get weapons you may or may not like for a kit you may or may not choose to play that everyone else can get eventually if they happen to choose them.

I have unlocked a few accessories in the beta already I don't like personally that others may prefer.

Plus you cannot buy skill. Heck in many FPS I would master I would end up playing with simple weapons with iron sights to make it more challenging.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Crator
Major General

I suppose technically the term Pay-to-Win is correct in regards to Planetside 2. But there's a compromise to this model which, imo, shouldn't be that big of a deal really. It's a AAA F2P title FFS. You can't expect them not to do this. They let people play for free! If you put money into the game you should definitely get perks like being able to have access to certain things before another person who doesn't pay. SOE is supposed to be going a step further and making different stats for the purchasable side-grade weapons. I'm not too keen on how the whole side-grade thing is going though cause as far as I can tell currently it's a bit more then a side-grade when you can purchase a weapon that gives a lock-on ability vs. the stock one. I didn't really look to see what stat difference they have, if they have any at all, but that could be that way because they simply have not gone through a balance of such thing.

A true pay-to-win model wouldn't allow non-paying players to obtain items without paying.

EDIT: How do you define "pay to win" in a MMORPG?

Last edited by Crator; 2012-09-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Galron
Staff Sergeant

I was about to drop some cash on this right now, the only thing holding me back was I didn't want to get this version if there were different tiered versions of this.

That and the link that they advertise gives a 404, http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad

I suppose it isn't formally announced yet? Anyone know when this will be?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion