Gameplay suggestion: Pistols, rifles, shotguns can't harm tanks and such - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Damn you, monkey! Oh, damn you to hell!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Weapons that can harm armored vehicles
Anything, including knives 3 6.38%
Anything but knives 14 29.79%
Anything above a pistol 4 8.51%
Anything above a rifle/shotgun 2 4.26%
Only AV-specific armor-piercing rounds 22 46.81%
Other, I will explain in my post 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-09, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Traak
Colonel

Gameplay suggestion: Pistols, rifles, shotguns can't harm tanks and such

Thanks for adding that last choice after it was set in concrete so I could not, Hamma.

It should be impossible to kill a tank with a pistol, rifle, or shotgun and enough time on your hands.

Similarly, armored vehicles such as Sunderers, Deliverers, and the like.

I mean, really, seven small pellets being able to wear away a tank? That's like using a shot-blasting machine to fight an M1A1. It just seems kind of ridiculous.

What do you think?

Last edited by Traak; 2011-10-12 at 02:38 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Re: Gameplay suggestion: Pistols, rifles, shotguns can't harm tanks and such

AP should harm them, but small arms should require real aim to actually harm the veichle. Like the cockpit (if any), engine, exhaust, visors...

As in real life, a squad of rifleman is able to take down a low-flying aircraft with their personal arms' concentrated fire (and a huge amount of luck...).
Old 2011-10-09, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Raka Maru
Major

I would be ok with hitboxes that can be shot at with precision from any ammo. AP should be able to do damage anywhere.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I think that it should depend on the vehicle as well as the type of round.

Heavy armor vehicles, like tanks and sunderers should be immune to standard rounds and take little damage from AP rounds.

Light armor vehicles, such as buggies and aircraft should take little damage from standard rounds and quite a bit of damage from AP rounds.

Knives should do nothing.

I put "Only AV-specific armor-piercing rounds" in the poll because, while I think that standard rounds should do a little damage to light vehicles, I still don't think it would add up to much.

I just feel that a dozen people shooting non AP rifles at a hovering enemy fighter should make it consider relocating.

Those same dozen troops shooting non AP rounds at a tank? Shouldn't even scratch it's paint.

Also, I think that only AP rounds should have the ability to shoot through cockpit windows and hurt drivers (assuming they even allow this option). Otherwise, I think the only way you should be able to hurt someone in a vehicle is if it's an open air vehicle like a buggy or an ATV.
Old 2011-10-10, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raka Maru
Major

Would be cool also if a cloaked can lob a grenade into a vent or a sticky bomb on the tracks.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hamma
PSU Admin

This isn't really an idea, more of a discussion.

I've moved it to PS2 discussion and added the other option you were unable to Traak.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-10, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Non-AV does so little damage to vehicles that it doesn't really matter. I say let them have their peashooters.
Old 2011-10-10, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

It should all depend on ammo vs armor type.

Some sort of super-acid might do a small amount of damage to anything, while kinetic or thermal rounds might do well against X, but be ignore by Y.

And a kinetic round from a rifle just isn't going to be as impressive (as in "make an impression" ) as one from a large-bore cannon with ten times the barrel length.

We might also end up with shields that do well against X but not Y. One type might be able to handle single high-powered impacts (sniper rounds fer zample), where another would buckle, but can handle lots of hits (smg, shotgun). Still another might handle heat and energy weapons best.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kouza
Sergeant

I thought Planetside did it perfect shooting a vehicle your self was pointless but, it was always funny to get 20+ people shooting at a raider with Cycler+AP.... Would always catch it off guard.
Old 2011-10-10, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Wahooo
Captain

If in PS2 vehicles have the same sort of health bar and length of TTK even with AV, then I see no reason any weapon can't do some kind of damage. If there is a different armor/health mechanic for vehicles in PS2 and say AV weapons were quite a bit more leathal then I might change my mind.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

We know that there will be multiple ammunition types, so it will be AP rounds only, almost for certain.

I'm dubious about having more ammo types, though. Sounds like a balance nightmare. I also hope that VS weapon will take a long while to "reconfigure" to fire AP bolts - just as long as it takes to reload a mag in a normal, kinetic weapon.

Finally, I wonder how it will be implemented... Will every trooper have for instance 3 mags regular and 3 mags AP ammo? Will there be an option to customize the amount of ammo?
Old 2011-10-10, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Raka Maru
Major

I'm also wondering if there will be a "buffet" of ammo types like in eve online.
Old 2011-10-10, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I'm also wondering if there will be a "buffet" of ammo types like in eve online.
There's a buffet of grenade types they said. Never seen an AV grenade really.

If you shoot at something it should do damage even if it's very little. Knife really shouldn't.
Old 2011-10-10, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ThGlump
Captain

Small arms could be able damage some parts if hit the right spot (targeting optics for worse accuracy, track to slow down, gun for lower refire rate/accuracy etc), but never should be able destroy tank. Of course few shots wont be enough to do that. that damage should be linear. 1 person need to shoot tank track for 5 min to slow him to 50%, 20 ppl can do it in 20s if they are very accurate. But to destroy it you need AV weapons or explosives (boomers, grenades)
Old 2011-10-10, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
We know that there will be multiple ammunition types, so it will be AP rounds only, almost for certain.
^ I think the official word that there will be more ammo types than in PS1 pretty much precludes this entire thread.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion