News: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Come for the PS2 info but stay for the Russian mail-order bride ads.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-27, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
FIREk
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Comm-Link Art

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Ah, I misunderstood you then. I noted that as well. The only mounting points I can see are those two cylinders on the outriders.
Unless... Some kind of mounting skeleton gets attached to those four smaller cylinders and a turret is mounted a few centimeters above the main body? :o
Old 2011-09-27, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Perhaps I'm being naive and overly optimistic, but I could see the forward fixed Magrider cannon as part of an overall advantage. Sure it would be a limitation and a clear disadvantage on it's own, but what if it is offset by a much higher strafing speed than the original Magrider had? Given that tanks will now have more of their armor allocated towards the front, a Magrider could strafe an enemy tank while keeping both the main gun AND the heaviest armor pointing towards them, while an enemy tank, despite having the ability rotate their cannon freely, would have to choose between keeping their front pointed at the Magrider or maneuvering.

Mind you, I am VS for life (even if I haven't played much Planetside recently), so I certainly don't want to end up with a gimped MBT, but if they play up the outside the box thinking of the VS even further with the sequel and if the Magrider ends up playing even more uniquely than the other two tanks while still being equally effective, I think it will only enrich the game.

I guess what I'm saying is I am nervous about the fixed cannon design, but I think maneuverability among other things could bridge the gap and make it an effective design choice. After all, it could end up over powered if the Magrider could maneuver freely all while pointing it's forward armor in which ever direction it chose AND it could point it's gun any way it wanted at the same time.

Still, it's good that the community keep voicing these important kinds of concerns. Keeps the developers aware of how the player base thinks. Some of the stuff they may know what they're doing and just haven't given us all of the information yet. It can't hurt to help them catch any few mistakes they may be letting slip through the cracks though right?
Old 2011-09-27, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Unless they have utterly and completely changed things that we've seen before. That aircraft is neither a mossy or reaver, most likely a wasp... in the gameplay trailer it shows the concept reaver and mosquito and even a gal in the back, this aircraft was not in the gameplay trailer.

The tank in my opinion seems very.... round. not very tankish... more routerish... It may just be the angle at which they rendered it, but ya... my .75 cents..

The liberator was kind of a dead give away to me as I noticed the very edge of the ball turret on the back immediately. I like that design a LOT, big fat belly is an easy target AND it can hold a good amount of bombs realisticly, so it shouldn't be able to whisk away and all that jazz.
The official website news post has captions. It says "Terran Republic Mosquito" underneath the picture
Old 2011-09-27, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
NCLynx
Major

Unless they have utterly and completely changed things that we've seen before. That aircraft is neither a mossy or reaver, most likely a wasp... in the gameplay trailer it shows the concept reaver and mosquito and even a gal in the back, this aircraft was not in the gameplay trailer.

The tank in my opinion seems very.... round. not very tankish... more routerish... It may just be the angle at which they rendered it, but ya... my .75 cents..

The liberator was kind of a dead give away to me as I noticed the very edge of the ball turret on the back immediately. I like that design a LOT, big fat belly is an easy target AND it can hold a good amount of bombs realisticly, so it shouldn't be able to whisk away and all that jazz.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/i..._excl_fptn.jpg

That's not different at all.

EDIT: For those that are simply looking at the pictures without reading the article...they're clearly labeled VS Magrider, TR Mossie, and NC Liberator...

Last edited by NCLynx; 2011-09-27 at 05:37 PM.
Old 2011-09-27, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Accuser
Sergeant Major

I think you guys might be taking the Magrider pic too seriously... For all we know this is a 'one-man variant' and the entire center portion could swap out for something that mounts a turret. It's entirely possible that a huge variety of options exist for someone who chooses to roll without a gunner.

If all you'd seen of BFRs was a pic of a flight-variant, you'd never figure out how to get a turret on there.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-27, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The trailer had a turret on the top of the mag, otherwise it looks like the same vehicle. Could be a different configuration with no top turret, or the top turret was simply omitted from the render (they left weapons off previous renders).
Old 2011-09-27, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I think the important question is: Will the Magmower be making it's full and glorious return?

With the faster pace of game play that they are aiming for, I am going to hazard a hell yes!

You TR and NC heathens can hide, but you can't run.
Old 2011-09-27, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Okay, well I think i'm speaking for everyone when I say: SCREENSHOTS PLS and/or a video of the new layout ASAP. Preferably 10 minutes of browsing the site with the new layout...

Maybe a twitter Q&A about the new layout?

NEED UPDATES!

Bahahahahaha.
Old 2011-09-27, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
SavageB
First Sergeant

All about the aerodynamics, get with the times :P
Old 2011-09-27, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I'm with Miir on the mag look, it doesn't have that sleek sexy feeling that yells "This is a badass tank!" to me. This may be due to the lack of perspective as we're seeing it alone and that it's showing us its back rather than its prow. To me if feels light, airy, with no armor and without much bite. The question 'where do I sit?' crops up in my brain looking at it and I feel a twist in my gut. It's flat and squished, it's squat and just doesn't menace. This is all opinion as are my suggestions for some fixes to make it feel dangerous as nothing is worse than driving a tank and feeling like it's more a death trap.

Changes that don't require editing the model:
-Point of view should be back where the hump rises out of the mag and should be able to see down the hood. Point of this is to make it feel like you're sitting on top of the cannon and gives the tank perceived heft as the tank is on the right and left.
-Deep sounds for the hover engine and the cannon with a slight echo after firing. No 'Pew' or any high pitch when the main gun is fired but when the round lands there should be a crack with a hiss that outlasts it.
-Pitch change when strafing or going backwards.
-Handling conserves momentum and it's slow to stop. Maybe add a sound effect for emergency brakes such as pressurized air escaping. (or replace breaks with an afterburner that makes you go faster in the direction pressed)

Changes that do:
-Stretch the model, raise the middle, pull in the sides. A larger mid section makes it seem like there's room for the cannon.
-Put the cannon off-center. The Mag's PPA was offset and made it feel like there was room inside the tank for you.
-At the back of the cannon there's some circles of teal. Everywhere else on the tank the colors are about as bright as their neighbors. The cannon is the only black part of the tank and the teal next to it grabs the eye away from the rest of the mag. One of the lighter shades of purple or grey in place of the teal would still stand out without breaking up the style of the tank.

I've been a bit nit picky but I didn't want to just say I didn't like it as that would not be useful.
Old 2011-09-27, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Sirisian
Colonel

One thing I didn't comment on. The TR plane has 16 rockets clearly on the outside of the plane. I imagine they don't magically form new ones using a nanite system so does that mean they only have 16 total rockets? If so that's awesome. I've always wanted ammo limitations to become a gameplay concept in PS. Really makes each shot count.
Old 2011-09-27, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Bags
Lieutenant General

Psh, we all know T-Ray doesn't smile.
Old 2011-09-27, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
One thing I didn't comment on. The TR plane has 16 rockets clearly on the outside of the plane. I imagine they don't magically form new ones using a nanite system so does that mean they only have 16 total rockets? If so that's awesome. I've always wanted ammo limitations to become a gameplay concept in PS. Really makes each shot count.
Ammo has always been a concern, at least for grunts. But I don't die very often so maybe that's just me?
Old 2011-09-27, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Captain B
First Sergeant

I'm liking what I see! And that quote about NC manufacturing and hard-edged style rocks!
Old 2011-09-27, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Ammo has always been a concern, at least for grunts. But I don't die very often so maybe that's just me?

But yeah, love the new info. The aircraft look amazing, but I'm not too sure about the mag. Doesn't look particularly threatening.

The mosquito is armed with rockets now? Interesting... like someone mentioned before it'd be nice if it was limited to the 16 rockets then needed a rearm at a friendly base. That would cut down on rocket spam with the amount of people that will be using them.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2011-09-27 at 07:50 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion