Kill Cams - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: now with exciting kung fu grip!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-03, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Kill Cams

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
There's a long list of changes that "aren't Planetside" but are accepted by almost everyone as being necessary. Things like iron sights, sprinting, classes, offline training, a F2P model, lack of scavenging, lack of vehicle hacking, lower TTK, etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to draw the line at a few choice things and say "This isn't Planetside, and we're not putting it in Planetside. If you want it, go play a different game".

I really don't think Planetside needs to be turned into a totally generic shooter just to get players. With the right marketing the F2P model and massive scale should be enough. It's an FPS man, they practically sell themselves these days.
I guess by the same token I just don't see kill cams as that big a deal, or inherently NOT Planetside. I don't think it will be a selling point for the game ("Play Planetside 2! Now featuring KILL CAMS!"), but I think the devs intend it as just a little bit of extra modern FPS fluff.

My vote is still for Helwyr's idea of being able to turn the kill cam off so that you don't see any kill cams and nobody sees you in theirs.
Old 2011-10-03, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Thanks Reddit! It could be good to help identify hackers but death is part of the tactical situation in Planetside. In war, if someone gets shot they have to communicate where from if possible and if not then their teammates have to deal with that situation. The floating cam from PS1 was fine, maybe make that more manipulable but don't make me watch someone kill me a second time, or else I end up looking like that guy above.
Old 2011-10-03, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Crator
Major General

^^^ LOL, that hilarious. And I feel the same way. Would be nice if SOE devs could let us know the definition of a kill cam in PS2.
Old 2011-10-03, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Graywolves
General

Kill Cams are a forced T-bad
Old 2011-10-03, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I had to laugh, because there are heated debates on the forum here about each one of those things you mentioned with the exception of iron sights and sprinting.
I dunno, the only really heated debates I've seen were about OSOK weapons and maybe the faster TTK. As for the rest, it's generally a couple people who disagree with each one which is pretty normal.

Anyway, the point was we shouldn't flat out accept every change just because Planetside 2 has to do some things differently. Some changes are just bad for gameplay, or just plain stupid, and those changes should at least be debated to death before the game hits the shelves, if not removed completely.

Also wasn't really talking about kill cams in particular. I don't think they're a big deal, I'd just rather not see them in PS2.
Old 2011-10-03, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I dunno, the only really heated debates I've seen were about OSOK weapons and maybe the faster TTK. As for the rest, it's generally a couple people who disagree with each one which is pretty normal.

Anyway, the point was we shouldn't flat out accept every change just because Planetside 2 has to do some things differently. Some changes are just bad for gameplay, or just plain stupid, and those changes should at least be debated to death before the game hits the shelves, if not removed completely.

Also wasn't really talking about kill cams in particular. I don't think they're a big deal, I'd just rather not see them in PS2.
Yeah, I guess you are right. The debates had varying degrees of heat. You're also right that we shouldn't just blindly accept or refuse certain features. In fact, I think the devs are relying on us to a certain extent as a sounding board for certain ideas. Of course they are the ones making the decisions, but they seem genuinely interested in what we think, and that by itself is pretty awesome.

Old 2011-10-04, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
Hamma
PSU Admin

Couple comments from Higby over on Reddit:

I can think of about a dozen unique kill cam mechanics that aren't in any other modern shooter, ways to tie it into progression, etc. What if you needed a "Flash before your eyes" implant to enable it? What if you could have an implant that made kill cams not show up when you kill someone? What if you have to opt in via a taunt key after a kill to get a kill cam to show up for your enemy player? What if it put everything into a dark VR room and just showed the last shot that killed you and other nearby bullet trajectories while the camera rotates around slowly in bullettime for a couple seconds? What if it did it with multiple camera angles like an instant replay for a football game? What if it just showed a 3d preview of the enemy player, their customizations and their stats on a UI screen completely out of the world?

Just because we have kill cams and other games do as well doesn't mean we're doing exactly what other games do, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
I don't take it harshly at all, it's appreciated... Dissenting feedback is typically the best kind. If we have kill cams in the final product they will fit with the overall game mechanics and systems and not feel like a tacked on "me too" feature.

More than just having some random bulletpoint we consider kill cams to be an educational tool for new players, "oh, i guess I wasn't in cover over there after all", "oh, hiding in that corner seems like a good idea, i want to try that!". Sure, people learn that stuff on their own, but kill cams help smooth out the learning curve slightly. If the intel is valuable enough to get up in arms about it might be valuable enough to "waste an implant" on. They're not a feature that advanced players really "need", that's the purpose behind putting a taunt feature in, to get advanced players to feel like using it. Being able to get a "GET DEAD TR SCRUB!" taunt play after you kill someone if you hit a button seems fun to me, and it might be worth potentially giving up my position to do if i really feel cocky.
Entire exchange here.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-04, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
Wahooo
Captain

I don't take it harshly at all, it's appreciated... Dissenting feedback is typically the best kind. If we have kill cams in the final product they will fit with the overall game mechanics and systems and not feel like a tacked on "me too" feature.
It is things like this that will keep me excited and limit my skepticism about the game.

I still don't want kill cams of anykind or quick knives of any kind, i'm not to warm on OSOK headshots most of the other changes i'm mostly ok with.
Old 2011-10-04, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
Crator
Major General

Nice find Hamma. Some good info/comments there. I suppose Higby is replying to Reddit more because there are more non-PS people there to talk to?
Old 2011-10-04, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Hamma
PSU Admin

Seems pretty even, he answers questions here and there about the same I think

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-04, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Seems pretty even, he answers questions here and there about the same I think
You always find everything I say everywhere and post it here you diligent bloodhound you.
Old 2011-10-04, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
You always find everything I say everywhere and post it here you diligent bloodhound you.
and that's why we love it here
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-10-04, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Hes not the only one stalking you. read tat as well, but hamma was first with posting, as always. Gnah!

Anyway, back to stalking. Need to get spy glasses and a ticket to SD. Any suggestions where i should be to spy into your office?
Old 2011-10-04, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
moosepoop
Captain

i have no problem with a kill cam.

however, i have huge problem with battlefield style killcam. the close up in front of your enemy is annoying, and doesnt help you spot where he is. most of the time it only makes me rage.

in planetside the kill came needs to be BEHIND your killer, NOT the front.
Old 2011-10-04, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Raymac
Brigadier General

I like Higby's ideas there on reddit. I think there has got to be a way to have a killcam that is a good learning tool, but at the same time, doesn't give away timely valuable intel on the killer. It's a very valid point that snipers shouldn't be punished for finding a good spot.

I personally like the COD style (1st person view) killcam because it was able to teach me 2 extremely valuable lessons that made me much better at that game. 1) Where to stand and where not to stand. and 2) How much to lead somebody when I'm aiming. This 2nd point may be even more valuable because finding that sweet spot when your aiming can be a little tricky as you are learning, and watching how somebody does it right can go a long way in helping new players get over the big hump in the learning curve.

I don't know if I like the idea of people who want to opt out of the killcam having to give away an implant slot because that seems like a fairly harsh penalty for their preference, and I've learned that they can be pretty passionate about it. So I think just having it be an option in the menu would work fine. There's enough death going around that there should be enough people that opt in to be able to help / taunt the new players.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion