Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-16, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Buying a new PC [NL]

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Aye, I'd go with the 3570k then (*cough*andtheasusmotherboardimentionedearlier*cou gh*).
I'm just saying the ASUS board has the same amount of phases as the MSI. Not sure on the voltage control as I cannot find any reviews on this board. In regards to the UEFI do you mean the actual interface? I do not have any complaints about my UEFI interface on my MSI board.

I am still confused to this day about phases. Some people say you only need 4 + 1 config while others say you need way more. Mine has the 4+1 and I was getting 4.8GHz on my 2500K no problem. So who knows?

Maybe we should recommend a board with six or more? lol

Also I would get that PSU I linked earlier instead of that one in your current build due to overclocking possibility now.

This is a good CPU cooler to go along with it too.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-07-16 at 11:03 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Vancha
Colonel

Yeah I was reading out of context info on the phases, they're both 4+1. The ASUS UEFI is definitely regarded as the most user-friendly, though other than that they're just as good as each other.
Old 2012-07-16, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Here is some very handy info on VRMs
http://www.overclock.net/t/943109/ab...tdp-processors
Old 2012-08-26, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Been little over a month that I made this thread, and the issue I had with my current computer was fixed so the new build wasn't as urgent anymore as before.

I've made a few adjustments to the setup since last time through research and a friends suggestions and here's what I'm at currently:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3750K 3.40Ghz 6MB
CPU Cooler: Antec Cooler 920
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Memory: G.skill 4x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, RipjawsX F3
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-v
SSD: Samsung SSD 2.5", 128GB, SATA600, 830 Series
HDD: Samsung Harddisk 3.5" 1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm, HD103SJ
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM
PSU: OCZ Voeding Fatal1ty 750W, Modulair
CD/DVD Burner: LG DVD-/+/RAM GH22NS70.AUAA50B 22x/22x/12x SATA
Mouse: Logitech Muis G400 Optical Gaming Mouse

I've included a more powerful PSU as well as an aftermarket CPU Cooler as I have decided to overclock.

I'm wondering if I should go for the MSI GeForce GTX660Ti instead of the GTX670, any opinions on that?

A friend also recommended the Asus P8Z77-v Pro Thunderbolt but the only thing it seems to have over the Asus P8Z77-v is the Thunderbolt port. Is it worth the extra € 50,-?

Any other recommendations or better buys? Planning on ordering this week.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

IMO Thunderbolt is worthless. You should probably look into it and decide for yourself, though.

I'd get the 670 if it's comfortably in your budget...if it's not you can still save some money on the motherboard by ditching SLI and extra ports, but still stay in the Z77 chipset.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-26, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Scrap that Antec 920. If you must have a liquid cooling system go for Corsair H80. After reading about a issue where someone had a leak with that cooler it was a total pain in the ass for the guy to get money to get new parts. This is still on going, since June. Corsair however has a good policy in place that if the unit leaks they will cover your parts that were killed off without issue. If you don't feel like throwing money at the CPU cooler get this Hyper 212 EVO.

Scrap that 750W PSU. I doubt its really that good in terms of quality and your system will never need that much watts. This Antec 620W is plenty. I'm running my system heavily OCed on a 520W and it likely will consume more then your system, so 750W is a total waste.

Total waste of money going for that higher end mobo as well. You could likely even get away getting this cheaper ASUS model. Some people just like going way too overboard on motherboards. Really is the most wasteful area you can spend money on a computer as there is no reason to get a $300 motherboard vs a $150 one if you don't make use of the extra features.

RAM is Ok. You could look into 2x8GB dimms or even 2x4GB if you don't really need 16GB in the end.

If you are concerned about the extra money on the video card, don't bother with that extra money on the cpu cooler and mobo and puts that towards getting a 670 instead. I would go for another 670 too, either the MSI or Gigabyte.
Old 2012-08-26, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Thanks for the suggestions Goku (and Rbstr), I'll look into them tomorrow. Quick question regarding the GPU, why do you suggest the MSI/Gigabyte over the EVGA?

Also, I noticed there are two version of the MSI, a PE and an OC one. What's the difference? I assume OC means overclocked, but the OC one is cheaper than the PE so that doesn't make much sense.
Old 2012-08-26, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Vancha
Colonel

The OC is simply an overclocked rebrand of the stock cooler, the PE (power edition) has a custom cooler (better/quieter), voltage control and possibly a higher overclock than the OC.

MSI's and Gigabyte's cooler is better than EVGA's.
Old 2012-08-27, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

CPU Cooler:

I don't have any special preference to liquid cooling, the only thing I want it a cooler capable of keeping my CPU cooled properly. The Hyper 212 Evo you linked seems to have a lot of positive feedback, the only concern I have is that it's pretty big, and I'm not sure if it'll fit in my case, especially since I'd be using all my memory slots?

GPU:

I'll stick with the GTX670 than, and I'll swap it to the Gigabyte version since you guys say it's better than the EVGA.

PSU:

From what I've read and all the reviews it seems like a good quality PSU, and I liked the addition of the red LED as well, but I realized that you won't even see the red LED if it's bottom mounted.

If you're running a heavily OC'd computer on a 520W PSU, than what would you need to be doing to require these 750W+ PSUs? SLI/Crossfire in addition to heavy OCing or something?

Going to look around a bit at some other PSU's as I'd like a modular one, but I'll definitely keep the amount of Watts in mind.
Old 2012-08-27, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

CPU cooler won't have any issues in that case of yours.

In terms of a modular PSU check these out:
http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-123847
http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-081814
http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-120025 (I would go for this one)

In terms of using greater than 750W you really need to be looking at multi GPU.
Old 2012-08-27, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

For pretty much all the PSU's I've been looking it the reviews all talk about (certain) cables being too short when using a bottom mounted case.

Considering there's no mention of cable lenghts or whether or not the PSU is designed for top or bottom mounting, is it just a case of hope you get lucky?

Seems pretty bad that they companies don't list cable length or at least whether or not it's bottom or top mounted. Having to end up buying extension seems like poor service.
Old 2012-08-27, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The cables will fit. However depending on the design of the case you maybe unable to do a proper cable job with certain ones. Most likely the 4/8 pin that goes in by the CPU. That is the one I normally have issues with at sometimes I can't route it behind the mobo tray, but instead just bring it up over the VGA in order to put it in. You shouldn't have any issues plugging in everything, just may not look the prettiest.

If you really want to know if you call the company I'm sure they will tell you.
Old 2012-08-28, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

When it comes right down to it, it's all in a box so you don't have to make it pretty if it works fine.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-28, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
MasterCalaelen
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Not that I don't trust you Goku, but just to make sure you understood what my concern was, that CPU Cooler isn't going to be a problem with my 4 memory sticks? Seen various reviews and some videos of larger CPU Coolers blocking memory slots so just want to make sure of it.

Other than that, with the recommendations you guys gave me I've changed it to this:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3750K 3.40Ghz 6MB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 OC 2GB
Memory: G.skill 4x4GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL9, RipjawsX F3
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-v
SSD: Samsung SSD 2.5", 128GB, SATA600, 830 Series
HDD: Samsung Harddisk 3.5" 1TB, SATA300, 7200rpm, HD103SJ
Case: Cooler Master HAF XM
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX650M 650W Modulair
CD/DVD Burner: LG DVD-/+/RAM GH22NS70.AUAA50B 22x/22x/12x SATA
Mouse: Logitech Mouse G400 Optical Gaming Mouse
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27" LED

Any last suggestions/changes/comments or anything?
Old 2012-08-28, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

In general to avoid the clearance issue just don't get the ram with the huge heatsinks. Really do not add to anything at all besides looks. You can get this kit instead to avoid the issue and it will perform the same, plus its cheaper.

Everything looks good to me also.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-08-28 at 03:47 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum