Do you want more common pool or more empire specific stuff? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ಠ_ಠ
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want more common pool or more empire specific stuff?
I would like more common pool stuff 7 10.45%
I would like more empire specific stuff 51 76.12%
I don't really care either way 9 13.43%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-25, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Galapogos
Corporal

Do you want more common pool or more empire specific stuff?

My apologies if this has already been talked about in detail, I searched and did not find a thread or poll specifically dedicated to this topic. Anyways, I wondering if you guys would rather see more common pool vehicles and weapons, and thus more stuff everyone can use, or would you rather more empire specific vehicles and weapons, which a think are a lot cooler, even though most are never perfectly balanced compared to other E.S. stuff of the same type, such as medium assault.
Old 2011-07-25, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
Re: Do you want more common pool or more empire specific stuff?

I don't have any real preference as to empire specific or common pool. Simply more weapons/vehicles would appease me.

But since we're apparently unable as it stands right now, to loot enemy weapons I would like to see more empire specific weapons to hold me over for my addiction of looting. (Not sure how adding MORE weapons would help that but whatever).

Common pool suggest it's just a regular weapon. Empire specific means it will have that empires traits thrown into it and I'd like to see more of that.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-25, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MgFalcon
Captain

Vanu need more Pew Pew guns.

Only us though. Everyone else can have the lesser forms of technology, of course.
Old 2011-07-25, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Galapogos
Corporal

The only thing I like about common pool stuff is that for the same dev resources, everyone could use more stuff than if it were empire specific. For example, lets say 3 new weapons are going to be added to the game, if they are e.s. each empire gets one new weapon, whereas if they are common pool, each empire can use 3 new weapons.
Old 2011-07-25, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

If we can loot enemy weapons than definitely more ES.
Old 2011-07-25, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sirisian
Colonel

I'd prefer more common pool weapons with empire specific skins. (VS version fires energy bullets while TR and NC use regular rounds etc with identical ammo types essentially). Less whining when it comes to balancing. This is mostly in regards to the idea that we can't loot enemy weapons. I used to be able to just grab the better gun once in a while, but they're getting rid of that ability.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-07-25 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

All empire-specific.

And this not-looting/not-hacking shit is stupid. "Waaa we can't afford it!" ... not my fucking fault, maybe SOE's masterminds shouldn't have made dumb business decisions that fucked up the budget. Less gay elves, more hacking/looting in Planetside 2.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DreaM
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
All empire-specific.

And this not-looting/not-hacking shit is stupid. "Waaa we can't afford it!" ... not my fucking fault, maybe SOE's masterminds shouldn't have made dumb business decisions that fucked up the budget. Less gay elves, more hacking/looting in Planetside 2.
I'd rather they just make a solid game and possibly add the fluff aspects later on.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
FIREk
Captain

Empire-specific all the way, budget and manpower permitting.

Even if it's the same common-pool stuff (stats-wise) with different models, particle effects and sounds.

To be honest, though, I think only the VS really need their own variants. It looks weird when the VS use blam-blam guns when the majority of their weaponry is pew-pew based.

NC and TR would probably be fine using poven technology.

I'm thinking Tribes 2-style grav-bikes in place of ATVs.

Assorted grav-vehicles for the utility stuff (transport, Harasser equivalent etc).

A Vanu laser/beam sniper rifle (Bolt-Driver equivalent) that needs to be manually reloaded to replace an overheated cartridge-like heat sink, in order to allow for a second shot. Much like it's done in Mass Effect 2.

Or a Vanu Punisher that is simply another beam assault rifle, only with a grenade launcher. I kind of imagine the Punisher being absent in PS2 and replaced with weapon customization for already existing empire-specific assault rifles.

I can't really see how to make the Thumper and Rocklet more Vanu-like, though. Just make them look more sleek, without the big revolver mag, only with a big capacitor that allows them to fire orbs or bolts of energy, respectively?

Not sure about aircraft, though...

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-07-25 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

ES variants of weapons that are really more just a visual difference, aka different projectile look and weapon model but act the same otherwise, those are fine and simple to do.

But when they start tryin to get them to work differently it quickly can become a balance issue. Look at the MA weaps. Which in basic function are exactly the same, only the fire rates/damage per hit are really different which seems easy to balance. The cycler seems fine with its lower damage because of its higher fire rate which in theory should be the same overall. But due to the nature of ranged burst fire, how that interacts with bloom, the way armor absorbs damage, etc. It ends up being quite inferior. And dont get me started on the HA weaps.....those are a nightmare. It could all be fixed but its not as simple as you would think sometimes.

I like the empires to play a bit different but its a delicate line in a game like this. Giving advantages in some situations to certain empires just frustrates the others. Luckily the customization aspects could allow for features that allow every weapon to all have the same functional aspects with different tweaks or mods. Atleast to some extent.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2011-07-25 at 06:37 PM.
Old 2011-07-25, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
ES variants of weapons that are really more just a visual difference, aka different projectile look and weapon model but act the same otherwise, those are fine and simple to do.
Now that's just a waste of everyones' time. If they're going to be identical besides skin, save the effort.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-25, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

With weapon customization, I imagine a few of the common pool weaponry has been rendered rather obsolete. For instance, I don't doubt for a second in PS2 I can attach an underslung grenade launcher to my Cycler, or underslung shotgun, or bayonet... or even a darklight (that'd be cool.) Handgun modifications may make the AMP largely pointless to have in game.

I believe with customization, sticking to empire specific weaponry and ditching the CP weaponry won't be too detrimental to PS2. I will miss the look and feel of my Punisher though. Such an awesome weapon.
Old 2011-07-25, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
With weapon customization, I imagine a few of the common pool weaponry has been rendered rather obsolete. For instance, I don't doubt for a second in PS2 I can attach an underslung grenade launcher to my Cycler, or underslung shotgun, or bayonet... or even a darklight (that'd be cool.)
That just gave me a Flash of Inspiriation:

Empire Specific Customizations.

Not at all sure what those might be, but I do like the concept.

Ah. The brain cells are firing again:

Empire Specific Decimator customizations:
NC: bigger warhead, slower projectile
TR: Sub-munitions! Not quite "high rate of fire", but reasonably similar.
VS: (much?) faster projectile.

Empire specific grenade launcher customizations for standard rifle[s]:
NC: Rail accelerator gives the GL faster projectiles and longer range.
TR: Rate Of Fire. 3 grenades instead of 2 (fer instance), full auto option.
VS: Groovy Energy Grenades. Uses standard VS energy ammo instead of specific grenade ammo, but can still do some semblance of the usual grenade effects.
Old 2011-07-25, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I said it years ago and i say it once more: I want empire specific Assault Aircrafts, Empire Specific Gal Gunships, Empire Specific EVERYTHING. Common pool is nice, but empire specific stuff really rocks everything. But that needs to come with jacking vehicles.
Old 2011-07-25, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
nathanebht
Sergeant

WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.

VEHICLES: More than 15 vehicles with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and features.

www.g4tv.com

20 weapons and 11 vehicles per empire? Guessing that Max suits are not among the unique vehicles per empire.

Interesting poll question. I'd like more common weapons and vehicles if it would speed up the release. Empire specific vehicles and weapons can be added after release.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion