Sniper Transport - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: and you thought sex was fun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-04, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Sniper Transport

Well I was thinking today how cool it would be if the Rexo suit could fly. I told my self how over powered this would be and thought up a new aircraft. The grasshopper ELT (extremly light transport). This aircraft has only one purpose, a quick method of transport for snipers and cloakers without having to deal with a reaver or mosquito. The aircraft is unarmed and to counter act a pilot unbalancing the flight the system "clicks" onto your armor resulting in an unability to eject. Un armed and with a trunk that of 3/4ths the size of a reaver it has no attack purposes. It is invisible to enemy radar and when landed cloaks itself in the same fashion of a wraith. It has virtualy no armor and is composed of very thin sheets of various alloys. A full AP clip from a gauss will nearly render it usless. Any sort of heavy calibure amunition will absolutly destroy the grasshoper. It can carry all armor excluding MAX's and does not carry enough room to fit an AV weapon or sniper rifle such a decimator. Depending on armor type its speed and manuverabilty varry. Rexo being the slowest and most slugish. It can only be purchased from a facility with Adv Tech from a tech plant and can only be used when the person certs in both Air cav or mosquito and sniper.

Quick Recap:
1. Carries Rexo's
2. Speed depends on armor
3. Very little armor
4. Cloaks when landed with no pilot
5. No weapons
6. Cannot bail from aircraft
7. Very small trunk
8. Does not appear on radar
9. No sensor package
Old 2004-02-04, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheN00b
Colonel

You know what, as much as I feel that I will be flamed for this, I like it . It's neither cheap nor terrible, and fills an unnaccounted for purpose. Sounds good to me *shrugs*.
Old 2004-02-04, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

The ELT is a cool idea, but I still think the Mosquito would offer better transportation for cloakers and snipers (a task it's already quite good at). It's faster than anything currently available, it's invisible to radar, and it can get snipers to good spots and cloakers to the tops of towers/bases. Of course, the big point of the ELT is to transport Rexos, but I don't think sniping in Agile's that huge of a tradeoff.
Old 2004-02-04, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Yea the big thing is transporting Rexo's. The idea that it cant bail means that its nerfed for hot drops. Sure the mossi is good but an enemy aircraft always finds it. Then its gone.
Old 2004-02-04, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MilitantB0B
Colonel

That is one of the balancing aspects of heavier armor, hard to get around. I normally just use agile when on offenise (where you need high ground to sniper into enemy CY) and rexo for defence (where you are provided stairs to high ground )
Old 2004-02-04, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rayder
General

Misc Info

By "It can carry all armor excluding MAX's and does not carry enough room to fit an AV weapon or sniper rifle such a decimator." You mean the trunk right?
Old 2004-02-04, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Heavygain
Lieutenant Colonel

sounds cool, but one thing, couldnt a whole sqaud just get one and fly into an enemy courtyard or land on the roof and umm.... well.... you know?
Old 2004-02-04, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Cant land on the roof of a base. It would deconstruct, cant bail out its not allowed in this. Talked to LNS and he said the word hang glider. Brilance! The aircraft flys like a mossy or something untill it leaves a friendly SOI. When it leaves an SOI your on an almost glider power, you get a bunch of After burner to keep you going for a little while but thats it. You can base hop from friendly to friendly but you can only go about one enemy base away with the burners even at max alt. Not a long range thing, could easily be owned by AV and such. I think its pretty well balanced.
Old 2004-02-04, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
EarlyDawn
Major General

We aim to please.
Old 2004-02-04, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

I don't like the afterburner thing, otherwise, good

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-02-05, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Interesting...

So let me get this straight, so far:

1) Carry infantry wearing any armor up to Rexo.

2) Powered only while inside a friendly SOI. After that, you will start to lose altitude.

3) Has a short, one time burn AB for once you leave the SOI.

4) Small trunk (similar in size the an infiltrators backpack?)

5) Cloaks upon landing.

Hmm, I like it. I have a few ideas.

* Remove the trunk, something this small would have room to carry any extra inventory.

* No lock-on by AA weapons, again, it is very small. Same reason it wouldn't have a signature on radar. Unless there was an interlink facility of course, then the green dot would show, but nothing else.

* Can be purchased from a standard terminal. Imagine an inventory item, the size of a AV box of ammo. When placed in your inventroy, an icon would appear in your hotkey bar. When triggered, it would unfold and you would begin gliding. Press the key again, and you would disconnect from the glider. If you were in the air, you would begin a standard hotdrop and the glider would deconstruct.

* Infs + glider would be invisible, similar to the wraith.

* Small power cell so if you are in a friendly SOI you could circle-climb to the flight ceiling, then glide out. Descent rate would be fixed at like 10 meters per second. You could of course descend quicker by flying towards the ground.

* Could be used in conjunction with standard flying vehicles such as the galaxy. You could fly or be transported to a remote location, then bail and deploy the glider while in the air. Imagine a galaxy circling just off the coast, you and your squad bail and glide in for a sneak assault on an enemy base.

Last edited by TheRagingGerbil; 2004-02-05 at 09:21 AM.
Old 2004-02-05, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
JakeLogan
Major

I like this idea alot. I like the other ideas about it being the size of an AV ammo box.
Old 2004-02-05, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jagd
Major

Sweet... That would spice things up immensely.
Old 2004-02-05, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

Making it into a glider that is only powered within a friendly SOI sounds like a very cool idea. It doesn't sound unbalancing at all and has some very interesting tactical applications. Instead of cloaking just have it deconstruct upon landing. You would most likely be gliding to some point outside of the SOI anyway so there's no need to keep it around. Make it a 2 point cert and allow any infantry use it. This would give them some option to glide over ground vehicles, but run the risk of being shot down by air vehicles. Some interesting airborne assaults would develop, but they would be very fragile. At least if you ride in a Galaxy you have some armor and a few weapons to shoot back with.

The whole idea sounds fun and completely balanced.
Old 2004-02-05, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Well I was thinking today how cool it would be if the Rexo suit could fly. I told my self how over powered this would be and thought up a new aircraft.
Tribes Vengance?

It is cool how Smokejumper was a Tribes Dev tho
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion